Posted to alt.home.repair

Default attic ventilation

My roof lacks sufficient soffit vents. Can this remedied? We have 3
gable vents near the ridge, too. We are reroofing and thinking of
adding attic exhaust fan(s), I want to avoid ridge vents. I know ridge
vents work great but I don't like the look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Jul 2006 18:48:56 -0700, "higgledy" wrote:

My roof lacks sufficient soffit vents. Can this remedied? We have 3
gable vents near the ridge, too. We are reroofing and thinking of
adding attic exhaust fan(s), I want to avoid ridge vents. I know ridge
vents work great but I don't like the look.

The soffit vents can be added. Make sure air is not blocked by
insulation. There are foam or cardboard "chimney vents" you can
purchase to tack onto the underside of the roof so the insulation can
butt up against the roof. Attic fans are not energy efficient,
require maintenance. Reconsider the ridge vent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

yeah ridge vents cost nothing to operate generate no noise, reuire no
maintence.

most homes here are getting them as they are re roofed, get used to the
look, its a sign of energy efficency.

when you want to sell your home ridge vents are a plus, for the above
reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So your roofer is trying to sell you venting, what makes you think you
need more venting? Do you have mold growing on the wood, is the
insulation moldy. and not from roof leaks, because if you dont have
moisture problems visable your Gable vents have been doing their
designed job, venting. My Gable vents have kept my roof beams and attic
fine for 110 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The roofer is not trying to sell me venting. I think I need additional
venting because the living area in my house get humid in the
fall/winter/spring when it is to cold to open the windows or turn on
the a/c. I have not seen any mold anywhere in the attic or basement.

BTW, one gable vent is on the north face which gets hammered by
weather. This vent leaks water during extreme rain showers, it is over
the garage and only happens during huricaine-like rain so I am not to
concerned but do you know a way to fix this?

m Ransley wrote:
So your roofer is trying to sell you venting, what makes you think you
need more venting? Do you have mold growing on the wood, is the
insulation moldy. and not from roof leaks, because if you dont have
moisture problems visable your Gable vents have been doing their
designed job, venting. My Gable vents have kept my roof beams and attic
fine for 110 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The humidity inside is unrelated to the attic if you dont have moisture
issues in the attic, I would think. Your living space is sealed from the
attic it is not open , right. My high humidity issues were my basement
which better gutters and a dehumidifier fixed since my house is tight
construction. I had water comming in my gables also. I made a deflector
or rain shield outside and inside a deflector from the bottom up, so
rain flows back out. A first sign of inadequate venting is mold which
you say you don`t have. Are you in a rainy area, is your basement real
damp, when I cut basement humidity 20% it drops the upstairs by apx
10-15%.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I live in Maryland which humid in the summer but dry in the winter.
My basement is finished, it is dry without the need of a dehumidifier.
In fact, my furnace has a humidifer which helps me with allergies in
the winter. After thinking about it my house is humid mostly in the
late fall and early spring.

m Ransley wrote:
The humidity inside is unrelated to the attic if you dont have moisture
issues in the attic, I would think. Your living space is sealed from the
attic it is not open , right. My high humidity issues were my basement
which better gutters and a dehumidifier fixed since my house is tight
construction. I had water comming in my gables also. I made a deflector
or rain shield outside and inside a deflector from the bottom up, so
rain flows back out. A first sign of inadequate venting is mold which
you say you don`t have. Are you in a rainy area, is your basement real
damp, when I cut basement humidity 20% it drops the upstairs by apx
10-15%.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"higgledy" wrote in message
ups.com...
My roof lacks sufficient soffit vents. Can this remedied? We have 3
gable vents near the ridge, too. We are reroofing and thinking of
adding attic exhaust fan(s), I want to avoid ridge vents. I know ridge
vents work great but I don't like the look.

If you're re-roofing and don't want a ridge vent why not put in roof vents.
I re-roofed last year and the roofer recommended and installed 3 roof vents.
Minimum effort and low cost. The are installed of the back side of the roof
and can't be seen from the street.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[snip]
when you want to sell your home ridge vents are a plus, [snip]

-- unless you're in an area with hurricanes or heavy TSTMs. In hurricanes
the ridge vents are the weak point and some report they tear off "like a
zipper". Ridge vents are also a prime point of water intrusion wherever you
have strong storms and heavy rains. Here in my part of Florida
knowledgeable builders avoid ridge vents (or any other roof penetrations,
including skylights and solar tubes ) if at all possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

higgledy wrote:
The roofer is not trying to sell me venting. I think I need additional
venting because the living area in my house get humid in the
fall/winter/spring when it is to cold to open the windows or turn on
the a/c.

I don't see why you would blame that on poor attic venting.

m Ransley wrote:

So your roofer is trying to sell you venting, what makes you think you
need more venting? Do you have mold growing on the wood, is the
insulation moldy. and not from roof leaks, because if you dont have
moisture problems visable your Gable vents have been doing their
designed job, venting. My Gable vents have kept my roof beams and attic
fine for 110 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fall and spring is normal to be humid, in fall you are closing up the
house after a summer of high humidity and structure moisture. In fall
when I first turn on the heat my windows even condense for days. It
takes time for your heating system to dry thing out. In spring its the
rain. To know if you have an issue use a humidistat, digital are sold as
accurate, analog are rarely calibrated and off by 5-20%. Next time you
go to a hardware store look at all the Taylor brand humidistats, at
Menards they vary by 20% new. Many cant be calibrated, but Taylor sells
a 3" model it even states to calibrate evry 6 months.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

MLD wrote:

"higgledy" wrote in message
ups.com...

My roof lacks sufficient soffit vents. Can this remedied? We have 3
gable vents near the ridge, too. We are reroofing and thinking of
adding attic exhaust fan(s), I want to avoid ridge vents. I know ridge
vents work great but I don't like the look.

If you're re-roofing and don't want a ridge vent why not put in roof vents.
I re-roofed last year and the roofer recommended and installed 3 roof vents.
Minimum effort and low cost. The are installed of the back side of the roof
and can't be seen from the street.
MLD

Are those the "turbine" type? If so, my experience is that they're
pretty useless.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"CJT" wrote in message
MLD wrote:

"higgledy" wrote in message
ups.com...

My roof lacks sufficient soffit vents. Can this remedied? We have 3
gable vents near the ridge, too. We are reroofing and thinking of
adding attic exhaust fan(s), I want to avoid ridge vents. I know ridge
vents work great but I don't like the look.

If you're re-roofing and don't want a ridge vent why not put in roof

vents.
I re-roofed last year and the roofer recommended and installed 3 roof

vents.
Minimum effort and low cost. The are installed of the back side of the

roof
and can't be seen from the street.
MLD

Are those the "turbine" type? If so, my experience is that they're
pretty useless.

No--just a plain (typical) vent. I looked into the turbine type and agree
with your comment;.the roofer didn't recommend it either. It certainly
complements and is better than what I had which was just two gable vents.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:48:56 -0700, higgledy broke out their crayolas and
scribbled:

My roof lacks sufficient soffit vents. Can this remedied? We have 3
gable vents near the ridge, too. We are reroofing and thinking of
adding attic exhaust fan(s), I want to avoid ridge vents. I know ridge
vents work great but I don't like the look.

Consider installing a cupola.

http://thecountrygentleman.com/country-cupolas.aspx
http://www.toolcenter.com/SOMERSET/13210.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

roof vents lead to much lower attic temps espically important with
better overall insulated homes.

high roof temperatures lead to early shingle failure.

more venting is always a good idea, besides helping moisture issues

Posted to alt.home.repair

"higgledy" wrote in message
ups.com...
My roof lacks sufficient soffit vents. Can this remedied? We have 3
gable vents near the ridge, too. We are reroofing and thinking of
adding attic exhaust fan(s), I want to avoid ridge vents. I know ridge
vents work great but I don't like the look.

Don't like the look? Hell, you can hardly see a ridge vent. The attic
exhaust fans you want are MUCH more obvious than a ridge vent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you considered a whole-house fan/roof vent combo? Basically it
doubles as a roof vent, but, with louvered shutters in your attic
access can vent your entire house (providing you open a few windows).
Nothing like it on a nice spring day when the breeze isn't really
blowing.

higgledy wrote:
My roof lacks sufficient soffit vents. Can this remedied? We have 3
gable vents near the ridge, too. We are reroofing and thinking of
adding attic exhaust fan(s), I want to avoid ridge vents. I know ridge
vents work great but I don't like the look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree for 2-story houses. But, I have a ranch house with a steep
sloped roof. I think it will be a lot more obvious on my house than on
a two story house.
Bob M. wrote:
"higgledy" wrote in message
ups.com...
My roof lacks sufficient soffit vents. Can this remedied? We have 3
gable vents near the ridge, too. We are reroofing and thinking of
adding attic exhaust fan(s), I want to avoid ridge vents. I know ridge
vents work great but I don't like the look.

Don't like the look? Hell, you can hardly see a ridge vent. The attic
exhaust fans you want are MUCH more obvious than a ridge vent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since it's too humid inside the home during the heating season, have
you investigated what's going on with the humdifier? Is it set
correctly? Or even better still, why is it running at all? IMO,
attic ventilation would have to be extremely whacked out to have any
noticeable effect on humdity in the living space. On the other hand, a
misadjusted humidifier will easily do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The addition we put on has ridge vents. I've only run the air a couple of
times this year but when I did once, I left the attic hatch open, and the
attic was actually quite cool. I'm in the Chicago area, and its been hot.

wrote in message
ups.com...
yeah ridge vents cost nothing to operate generate no noise, reuire no
maintence.

most homes here are getting them as they are re roofed, get used to the
look, its a sign of energy efficency.

when you want to sell your home ridge vents are a plus, for the above
reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"higgledy" wrote in
ups.com:

I agree for 2-story houses. But, I have a ranch house with a steep
sloped roof. I think it will be a lot more obvious on my house than on
a two story house.
Bob M. wrote:
"higgledy" wrote in message
ups.com...
My roof lacks sufficient soffit vents. Can this remedied? We have 3
gable vents near the ridge, too. We are reroofing and thinking of
adding attic exhaust fan(s), I want to avoid ridge vents. I know
ridge vents work great but I don't like the look.

Don't like the look? Hell, you can hardly see a ridge vent. The
attic exhaust fans you want are MUCH more obvious than a ridge vent.

Well If I were look at a house be it as a buyer or neighbor and it had
no "ugly" gable vents or "ugly" ridge vents I'd think what a nice
looking ****ed up house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"higgledy" wrote in
ups.com:

I agree for 2-story houses. But, I have a ranch house with a steep
sloped roof. I think it will be a lot more obvious on my house than on
a two story house.
Bob M. wrote:
"higgledy" wrote in message
ups.com...
My roof lacks sufficient soffit vents. Can this remedied? We have 3
gable vents near the ridge, too. We are reroofing and thinking of
adding attic exhaust fan(s), I want to avoid ridge vents. I know
ridge vents work great but I don't like the look.

Don't like the look? Hell, you can hardly see a ridge vent. The
attic exhaust fans you want are MUCH more obvious than a ridge vent.

Well If I were look at a house be it as a buyer or neighbor and it had
no "ugly" gable vents or "ugly" ridge vents I'd think what a nice
looking ****ed up house.

I got a new roof last summer and ridge vents were code

Question on attic ventilation Doug Steckel Home Repair 18 June 1st 06 04:49 AM
Winter attic ventilation SailFan Home Repair 9 October 29th 05 09:37 PM
attic ventilation stevie Home Repair 17 July 28th 05 04:24 PM
Attic Ventilation Expert Needed - North NJ Area jeff Home Repair 11 March 12th 04 10:35 AM
question about attic ventilation & humidity jeff Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 04:16 PM