Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clamp on multimeter question....

I bought a clamp multi meter to read the current draw of several things around the house so I can
size a generator. I received no manual with the meter. My question is, on a 240 volt circuit do I
take a reading from both 120 volt legs and add them together to get the total current draw ????

Thanks
Brian
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian wrote:
I bought a clamp multi meter to read the current draw of several
things around the house so I can size a generator. I received no
manual with the meter. My question is, on a 240 volt circuit do I
take a reading from both 120 volt legs and add them together to get
the total current draw ????

Can you go to the manufacturer's web site and view the manual?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brian" wrote in message

I bought a clamp multi meter to read the current draw of several things
around the house so I can
size a generator. I received no manual with the meter. My question is, on
a 240 volt circuit do I
take a reading from both 120 volt legs and add them together to get the
total current draw ????

Thanks
Brian

Yes, and no. Most 240 volt devices should draw the same amount on both legs,
or there is a problem. However, some appliances fed with 120/240 volt
feeders, like an electric clothes dryer will use 240 volts for the element
and 120 volts for the motor, so there should be different readings on each
leg. A generator that outputs 240 volts will be rated in KW @ 240 volts (120
volts X 2). You could add it up either way. You could also turn on all the
circuits and appliances you want to work, and turn off all other circuits at
the panel, and check amperage at the mains

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 11:19*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Brian wrote:
I bought a clamp *multi meter to read the current draw of several
things around the house so I can size a generator. I received no
manual with the meter. My question is, on a 240 volt circuit *do I
take a reading from both 120 volt legs and add them together to get
the total current draw ????

No, you take the max of the two hot legs. That is the total current.
For example, if you had 30A on one leg, 20A on the other, then 30A
total is flowing. That is 30 on one leg, 20 on the other, 10 on the
neutral. If you have no neutral, then the current is equal in both
legs.

For a generator, you'd be interested in the power, which in the above
example would be 240V*20A + 120V*10A

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 10:10*am, Brian wrote:
I bought a clamp *multi meter to read the current draw of several things around the house so I can
size a generator. I received no manual with the meter. My question is, on a 240 volt circuit *do I
take a reading from both 120 volt legs and add them together to get the total current draw ????

Thanks
Brian

Honda has a good site for showing surge load. Surge needs to be
calculated in your decision, maybe the meter had a peak hold function
to show surge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Brian" wrote in message

[...]

Let me clarify: Make a list of the items you want to control by generator.
Make 2 columns. Anything thats 240 volts, list the amperage of each leg in
its own column. Anything thats 120 volts, split up and try to balance
between the 2 columns. When done, add up each column. Whichever column has
the highest number, thats the amperage you need the generator to output @
240 volt. You also have to keep in mind that motors need additional capacity
for starting current

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 11:10�am, Brian wrote:
I bought a clamp �multi meter to read the current draw of several things around the house so I can
size a generator. I received no manual with the meter. My question is, on a 240 volt circuit �do I
take a reading from both 120 volt legs and add them together to get the total current draw ????

Thanks
Brian

the larger the generator the more fuel it uses even on a small load.
gasoline may be hard to get in a emergency gas stations depend on
electric to pump gas.

in a emergency you can rotate loads, you dont need everything on at
once.

lewave a little for a neighbor, so they wouldnt complain about the
noise

for off hours a inverter on your vehicles battery is a good silent
option
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 11:18*am, " wrote:
On Jan 29, 11:10 am, Brian wrote:

I bought a clamp multi meter to read the current draw of several things around the house so I can
size a generator. I received no manual with the meter. My question is, on a 240 volt circuit do I
take a reading from both 120 volt legs and add them together to get the total current draw ????

Thanks
Brian

the larger the generator the more fuel it uses even on a small load.
gasoline may be hard to get in a emergency gas stations depend on
electric to pump gas.

in a emergency you can rotate loads, you dont need everything on at
once.

lewave a little for a neighbor, so they wouldnt complain about the
noise

for off hours a inverter on your vehicles battery is a good silent
option

Tri Fuel, www.Propane-Generators.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Brian wrote:

I bought a clamp multi meter to read the current draw of several things
around the house so I can
size a generator.

Yeah, that sounds a lot easier than looking at the label on the
appliances.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 11:37*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 29, 11:10?am, Brian wrote:
I bought a clamp ?multi meter to read the current draw of several
things around the house so I can size a generator. I received no
manual with the meter. My question is, on a 240 volt circuit ?do I
take a reading from both 120 volt legs and add them together to get
the total current draw ????

Thanks
Brian

the larger the generator the more fuel it uses even on a small load.
gasoline may be hard to get in a emergency gas stations depend on
electric to pump gas.

Exactly! While five gallons may suffice when dealing with a drunk who took
out the local light pole, it is woefully insufficient when a hurricane
(i.e., Ike) shuts down every freakin' gas station for sixty miles!

What I could never understand is why the gas stations don't have a
generator to provide electricity to run their own pumps. Having
operating pumps could be a windfall for the gas station.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you clamp both legs of 220 volts (or the hot and neutral
on a regular circuit) you get a reading of zero. The
electrical fields cancell each other out. You have to clamp
just one wire.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message

Yes, and no. Most 240 volt devices should draw the same
amount on both legs,
or there is a problem. However, some appliances fed with
120/240 volt
feeders, like an electric clothes dryer will use 240 volts
for the element
and 120 volts for the motor, so there should be different
readings on each
leg. A generator that outputs 240 volts will be rated in KW
@ 240 volts (120
volts X 2). You could add it up either way. You could also
turn on all the
circuits and appliances you want to work, and turn off all
other circuits at
the panel, and check amperage at the mains

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not easier, but far more accurate. Labels aren't my idea of
information.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
Brian wrote:

I bought a clamp multi meter to read the current draw of
several things
around the house so I can
size a generator.

Yeah, that sounds a lot easier than looking at the label on
the
appliances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wonder why the gas station owners havn't figured how to wire
a generator into the gas pump? If I can run my furnace, they
oughta be able to run a gas pump.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
wrote:
the larger the generator the more fuel it uses even on a
small load.
gasoline may be hard to get in a emergency gas stations
depend on
electric to pump gas.

Exactly! While five gallons may suffice when dealing with a
drunk who took
out the local light pole, it is woefully insufficient when a
hurricane
(i.e., Ike) shuts down every freakin' gas station for sixty
miles!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can imagine a generator power gas station selling out in a
couple hours. Which is a good thing. Power to the people!
Get the gas out of the ground, and make it useful for
something.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) " wrote in
message news:d2bb2490-c795-4f62-a572-

What I could never understand is why the gas stations don't
have a
generator to provide electricity to run their own pumps.
Having
operating pumps could be a windfall for the gas station.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"RBM" wrote in message

Yes, and no. Most 240 volt devices should draw the same
amount on both legs,
or there is a problem. However, some appliances fed with
120/240 volt
feeders, like an electric clothes dryer will use 240 volts
for the element
and 120 volts for the motor, so there should be different
readings on each
leg. A generator that outputs 240 volts will be rated in KW
@ 240 volts (120
volts X 2). You could add it up either way. You could also
turn on all the
circuits and appliances you want to work, and turn off all
other circuits at
the panel, and check amperage at the mains

No one has suggested clamping both legs simultaneously

Posted to alt.home.repair

in some areas like florida gas statins are required to have
generators.

but your better off not going oversize on a generator unless it runs
say on natural gas which rarely fails

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
in some areas like florida gas statins are required to have
generators.

but your better off not going oversize on a generator unless it runs
say on natural gas which rarely fails

You are best off buying a generator sized to run everything that you intend
to run simultaneously

Posted to alt.home.repair

No new text?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message

"RBM" wrote in message

Yes, and no. Most 240 volt devices should draw the same
amount on both legs,
or there is a problem. However, some appliances fed with
120/240 volt
feeders, like an electric clothes dryer will use 240 volts
for the element
and 120 volts for the motor, so there should be different
readings on each
leg. A generator that outputs 240 volts will be rated in
KW
@ 240 volts (120
volts X 2). You could add it up either way. You could also
turn on all the
circuits and appliances you want to work, and turn off all
other circuits at
the panel, and check amperage at the mains

No one has suggested clamping both legs simultaneously

Posted to alt.home.repair

An oversize generator allows you to loan power to the
neighbors. Who are most likely to run hair dryers, plug in
space heaters, and freezers off the end of your extension
cord. And they won't say thank you, or offer to help supply
gasoline.

However, with a good ammeter, you can tell who is pulling
the most power. Just slice the insulation of the cord. Fish
out the black wire, and clamp the ammeter on the black wire.
You will get the same reading on the white wire.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
in some areas like florida gas statins are required to have
generators.

but your better off not going oversize on a generator unless
it runs
say on natural gas which rarely fails

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ideally. However, power cuts and gas shortages are the time
to practice miserly use of as little power as possible. I
think the ammeter to test appliances, a very good idea.

These are rather convenient. Slice the insulation the long
way, and fish out the black wire, so you can ammeter measure
the current in the black wire.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message

You are best off buying a generator sized to run everything
that you intend
to run simultaneously

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 29, 11:10?am, Brian wrote:
[...]

operating pumps could be a windfall for the gas station.- Hide quoted text -

If you repealed the silly laws regarding price gouging, then you would
see stations with gas generators. If you knew you could raise the
price during a power outage, it would pay for the generator and a tidy
profit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

� �http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45185

"RBM" wrote in message

You are best off buying a generator sized to run everything
that you intend
to run simultaneously

the marked watt ratings on the device is likely more accurate than a
clamp on amp meter.

quiet time at nite by using a inverter on your car for a couple of CF
lights is a great thing.

if your really into getting a generator, buy 2

a large run everything high capacity one and a small 1000 watt quiet
light weight fuel thrifty one.

my small generator gets used often, so does my 1000 watt inverter.

my 4000 watt generator has run once in the last 5 years
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

No new text?

Yep. There was new text. You didn't see it, because you're one of the
top-posters. His reply was bottom posted, and got blended in as part of
the previous quote.

See? Top posting *is* problematic. No. You don't see. You'll never see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Not easier, but far more accurate. Labels aren't my idea of
information.

He's looking for a ballpark estimate to size a generator, for god's
sake. He don't need no stinking accuracy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nick hull wrote:

Nuts. I'd bet that the generator would be paid for by windfall sales
if they were the only station open in town.

When the tanks are empty there are no more sales, the normal markup is
too small to make up the cost of generation unless they can refill
their tanks multiple times.

But the gasoline wholesalers and the people who drive the delivery trucks
would be, I would think, more than eager to replinish the tanks.

I went through Hurricane Yikes and there were NO gas stations that I could
find that had power. I'm beginning to think there's a nanny-state regulation
against emergency generators for gasoline stations.

Interestingly, we DO have a law requiring gas stations on evacuation routes
to fill their storage tanks to 80% of capacity in advance of future
hurricanes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
nick hull wrote:
Nuts. I'd bet that the generator would be paid for by windfall sales
if they were the only station open in town.

When the tanks are empty there are no more sales, the normal markup is
too small to make up the cost of generation unless they can refill
their tanks multiple times.

But the gasoline wholesalers and the people who drive the delivery trucks
would be, I would think, more than eager to replinish the tanks.

If they saw a major revenue source going untapped, I'm sure they would
have already done so.

The problem from the distributor's side is it simply is too frequent an
event for the installation and maintenance costs to make it a worthwhile
investment based on their expected ROI. They get far more adding
another shelf of Twinkies or the like.

As for delivery for refill, in a really serious disaster there really is
little likelihood they could get the trucks in plus high likelihood the
tank filling stations are underwater so opening them would simply
further contaminate the storage tanks or do so if weren't already.

The retail outlets simply are designed or equipped for severe
exigencies. Not that there shouldn't be some that are, but currently
they're not and as long as it's driving around looking for the cheapest
outlet by a fraction of a penny, it's not going to change unless it is
done by an emergency preparedness directive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some idiot in the legislature has decreed that people are
not allowed to charge more during times of emergency. As a
result, there is no profit motive to buy a generator, or
drive to work when it's an ice storm. This is yet one more
example of your government making your life miserable with
regulations they declare are for "fairness". Now, somehow we
have a President whose campaign was based on change, hope,
and fairness. Please expect a LOT more outages, shortages,
and unemployment and misery. Oh, and it will all be sold
under "fairness".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"nick hull" wrote in message
In article
,
"hr(bob) " wrote:

What I could never understand is why the gas stations
don't have a
generator to provide electricity to run their own pumps.
Having
operating pumps could be a windfall for the gas station.

If they charge more when running a generator they get
arrested for price
gouging. If they don't, they lose the cost of the generator
;(

Free men own guns -
www(dot)geocities(dot)com/CapitolHill/5357/

Posted to alt.home.repair

It would appear that they would do a lot more volume of
sales. However, people also tend to get upset when others
aren't suffering as much as they should be. So, it's likely
someone will try to sabotage the generator to bring everyone
down to their level of misery.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
Nuts. I'd bet that the generator would be paid for by
windfall sales if
they were the only station open in town.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can't remember the source. But I remember hearing that the
normal markup on gasoline is nearly nothing. The gas
stations make their money on the walk in products. However,
if they had enough power for the coffee makers, pizza ovens,
etc. They could do a big business in hot coffee for example.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"nick hull" wrote in message

When the tanks are empty there are no more sales, the normal
markup is
too small to make up the cost of generation unless they can
refill their
tanks multiple times.

Free men own guns -
www(dot)geocities(dot)com/CapitolHill/5357/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Can't remember the source. But I remember hearing that the
normal markup on gasoline is nearly nothing. The gas
stations make their money on the walk in products. However,
if they had enough power for the coffee makers, pizza ovens,
etc. They could do a big business in hot coffee for example.

I think the markup on Beef Jerky is greater than on gasoline.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Can't remember the source. But I remember hearing that the
normal markup on gasoline is nearly nothing. T

Averages .05 or .06/gal in the US as I recall. Of course that's an average and
depends on who owns the station and how much volume they do.

The reasons prices fluctuate so rapidly at retail and so quickly when crude
increases is because many stations do not own the inventory. The refinery or
distributor owns it and sets the price daily. The station just adds their markup
when changing the price.

The funny thing is that when prices are increasing at the pump, we're told it's
because the station owner has to pay for his next delivery, so it doesn't matter
that they paid less for the current inventory. Yet, when crude prices are
falling - "Oh, we have to recover what we paid for this inventory."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey Stormy Mormy dint you jus say on another group to go back to old
fashioned ways and here you r puttin a generator to your gas pump? I
thought you could live without all this modern stuff? Huh? Makes no
cents.
-Cappy
-You can't shout down a =troll=
-You have to starve them.

On Jan 29, 2:35*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Wonder why the gas station owners havn't figured how to wire
a generator into the gas pump? If I can run my furnace, they
oughta be able to run a gas pump.

--ChristopherA.Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

wrote:
the larger the generator the more fuel it uses even on a
small load.
gasoline may be hard to get in a emergency gas stations
depend on
electric to pump gas.

Exactly! While five gallons may suffice when dealing with a
drunk who took
out the local light pole, it is woefully insufficient when a
hurricane
(i.e., Ike) shuts down every freakin' gas station for sixty
miles!

Posted to alt.home.repair

What are you talking about? If you put a multimeter set for AC volts
across the hot and nutral you'll get 120 v. If you put it across the
red and black, you'll get 240 v. Wher u gettin this info? -Cappy

"RBM" wrote in message

Yes, and no. Most 240 volt devices should draw the same
amount on both legs,
or there is a problem. However, some appliances fed with
120/240 volt
feeders, like an electric clothes dryer will use 240 volts
for the element
and 120 volts for the motor, so there should be different
readings on each
leg. A generator that outputs 240 volts will be rated in KW
@ 240 volts (120
volts X 2). You could add it up either way. You could also
turn on all the
circuits and appliances you want to work, and turn off all
other circuits at
the panel, and check amperage at the mains

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm talking about reading amperage with a clamp on ammeter.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

pony clamp question tr Woodworking 3 November 27th 06 01:09 AM
Cable Clamp Question. [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 16th 05 02:56 AM
bessey clamp question Mike S. Woodworking 15 August 9th 05 12:20 PM
Clamp-on Ammeter question larry moe 'n curly Electronics Repair 4 June 14th 05 06:35 PM
multimeter question slight Electronics Repair 13 December 23rd 04 01:59 AM