Mike S.

Default bessey clamp question

I've finally started buying bessey clamps and one problem I ran into the
first time I used them was glue getting on the teeth. It's a pain to get off
and I started putting pieces of wax paper on the clamp bar where the panel
seams would be. Just wondering what others do.

--

Mike S.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

no(SPAM)vasys

Mike S. wrote:
I've finally started buying bessey clamps and one problem I ran into the
first time I used them was glue getting on the teeth. It's a pain to get off
and I started putting pieces of wax paper on the clamp bar where the panel
seams would be. Just wondering what others do.

Use less glue. ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Allen Epps

In article ,
"Mike S." wrote:

I've finally started buying bessey clamps and one problem I ran into the
first time I used them was glue getting on the teeth. It's a pain to get off
and I started putting pieces of wax paper on the clamp bar where the panel
seams would be. Just wondering what others do.

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong but I don't set the clamp "bite" so far down
that squeeze-out is going to get on the teeth.

Allen

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 10:06:07 -0400, the opaque "no(SPAM)vasys"
spake:

Mike S. wrote:
I've finally started buying bessey clamps and one problem I ran into the
first time I used them was glue getting on the teeth. It's a pain to get off
and I started putting pieces of wax paper on the clamp bar where the panel
seams would be. Just wondering what others do.

Use less glue. ;-)

And J-wax the clamps before use again. Glue pops right off wax.

-- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Leon

"Mike S." wrote in message
I've finally started buying bessey clamps and one problem I ran into the
first time I used them was glue getting on the teeth. It's a pain to get
off and I started putting pieces of wax paper on the clamp bar where the
panel seams would be. Just wondering what others do.

I have read that the glue sticks to the jaws also. I do not know this for
sure but it seems that I have read about that complaint also.
Alternatively, Cabinet Masters have not demonstrated this problem since I
started using them about 4 years ago.

LRod

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:57:44 GMT, "Mike S."
wrote:

I've finally started buying bessey clamps and one problem I ran into the
first time I used them was glue getting on the teeth. It's a pain to get off
and I started putting pieces of wax paper on the clamp bar where the panel
seams would be. Just wondering what others do.

What kind of glue? I've never seen a PVA (white or yellow) glue whose
dried spots wouldn't just pop off any metal they fell on when nudged
with an awl or putty knife. Poly glue may be a different proposition,
so I can't speak to it.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

David

My yellow glue must be tougher than your yellow glue, then! Titebond II
that gets on my Bessy's is very tenacious. I scrape with an old chisel.
Little pieces come off; not the whole glob. Each time I clean glue
off, I tell myself to not be so lazy next time and cover the squeeze-out
areas of the clamp bars with 3M tape.

Dave

wrote:

I've finally started buying bessey clamps and one problem I ran into the
first time I used them was glue getting on the teeth. It's a pain to get off
and I started putting pieces of wax paper on the clamp bar where the panel
seams would be. Just wondering what others do.

What kind of glue? I've never seen a PVA (white or yellow) glue whose
dried spots wouldn't just pop off any metal they fell on when nudged
with an awl or putty knife. Poly glue may be a different proposition,
so I can't speak to it.

Phisherman

wrote:

I've finally started buying bessey clamps and one problem I ran into the
first time I used them was glue getting on the teeth. It's a pain to get off
and I started putting pieces of wax paper on the clamp bar where the panel
seams would be. Just wondering what others do.

I have not had a problem with my Bessey clamps. After the glue dries
it just removes easily with a fingernail, awl or screw driver.

WC

The wax solution seems to be the best way to get the squeezed out glue off
the Bessey bar clamps. But for those of us who already have plenty
deposited and well adhered to those bars, I have found my bench grinder
fitted with a good wire brush wheel to be effective in cleaning off the
hardened glue.

You just need to take a bit of care in manipulating the bar around the wire
brush wheel and wear plenty of face and eye protection.

Wade

Upscale

"WC" wrote in message news:I6QJe.281
The wax solution seems to be the best way to get the squeezed out glue off
the Bessey bar clamps. But for those of us who already have plenty
deposited and well adhered to those bars, I have found my bench grinder
fitted with a good wire brush wheel to be effective in cleaning off the
hardened glue.

Have you considered trying a heat gun to soften the glue so you can scrape
it off?

Mike Pio

"Upscale" wrote in message
"WC" wrote in message news:I6QJe.281
The wax solution seems to be the best way to get the squeezed out glue
off
the Bessey bar clamps. But for those of us who already have plenty
deposited and well adhered to those bars, I have found my bench grinder
fitted with a good wire brush wheel to be effective in cleaning off the
hardened glue.

Have you considered trying a heat gun to soften the glue so you can scrape
it off?

Upscale,

Have you tried this method with any success? What do you use when the glue
is soft to remove it completely?

Upscale

"Mike Pio" wrote in message

Have you considered trying a heat gun to soften the glue so you can

scrape
it off?

Have you tried this method with any success? What do you use when the

glue
is soft to remove it completely?

I don't yet own any Bessey clamps Mike, but it has worked on my pipe and bar
clamps that have had carpenter's glue on them.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM