Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-Roof cost

I have a 20 sq roof 12/4 pitch with 2 20ft valleys and my own supply of 3
tab shingles,nails etc. I received a quote of $2000 cash to tear off the 1
layer and apply the new shingles (they are on the ground lol) and a layer of
#15 tar paper, no drip edges. The roofer estimates it
will take 2 guys 2 days or approx 40 person hours to complete. This works
out to $50 an hour. Does this seem reasonable? Seems like a steal for the
roofer considering his helper is probably getting $15 an hour and we are in
the dead of winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mac" wrote in newslbgl.7803$PH1.2853@edtnps82:

I have a 20 sq roof 12/4 pitch with 2 20ft valleys and my own supply
of 3 tab shingles,nails etc. I received a quote of $2000 cash to tear
off the 1 layer and apply the new shingles (they are on the ground
lol) and a layer of #15 tar paper, no drip edges.
The roofer estimates it will take 2 guys 2 days or approx 40 person
hours to complete. This works out to $50 an hour. Does this seem
reasonable? Seems like a steal for the roofer considering his helper
is probably getting $15 an hour and we are in the dead of winter.

Your roof has a 70+ degree slope? I think that's called a steeple. I
wouldn't even just go on it for 2000 bucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

#15 tar paper, no drip edges. The roofer estimates it
will take 2 guys 2 days or approx 40 person hours to complete. This works
out to $50 an hour. Does this seem reasonable? Seems like a steal for the
roofer considering his helper is probably getting $15 an hour and we are in
the dead of winter.

Since you already have the shingles and feel you have a grasp of
contractor pricing, why not start your own company? I'm sure that $35/
hour will come in handy...after paying for truck and insurance,
liability insurance, licensing, restitution funds (if any), phones,
tools, advertising, etc. Hell, if you're lucky you might even make
more than your helper!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mac" wrote in message newslbgl.7803$PH1.2853@edtnps82...
I have a 20 sq roof 12/4 pitch with 2 20ft valleys and my own supply of 3
tab shingles,nails etc. I received a quote of $2000 cash to tear off the 1
layer and apply the new shingles (they are on the ground lol) and a layer
of #15 tar paper, no drip edges. The roofer estimates
it will take 2 guys 2 days or approx 40 person hours to complete. This
works out to $50 an hour. Does this seem reasonable? Seems like a steal
for the roofer considering his helper is probably getting $15 an hour and
we are in the dead of winter.

Get two or three more estimates and compare.

Cheers,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 2:29�am, "Jim2009" wrote:
"Mac" wrote in messagenewslbgl.7803$PH1.2853@edtnps82....
I have a 20 sq roof 12/4 pitch with 2 20ft valleys and my own supply of 3
tab shingles,nails etc. I received a quote of �$2000 cash to tear off the 1
layer and apply the new shingles (they are on the ground lol) and a layer
of #15 tar paper, no drip edges. � � � � � � � � � � �The roofer estimates
it will take 2 guys 2 days or approx 40 person hours to complete. This
works out to $50 an hour. Does this seem reasonable? �Seems like a steal
for the roofer considering his helper is probably getting $15 an hour and
we are in the dead of winter.

Get two or three more estimates and compare.

Cheers,
Jim

failing to install a new drip edge? run from that contractor.....

cheaping out in roof repair just costs more money long term

Posted to alt.home.repair

#15 tar paper, no drip edges. * * * * * * * * * * *The roofer estimates it
will take 2 guys 2 days or approx 40 person hours to complete. This works
out to $50 an hour. Does this seem reasonable? *Seems like a steal for the
roofer considering his helper is probably getting $15 an hour and we are in
the dead of winter.

I would pull a permit and not pay until its inspected. What about
rotted wood, flashing the chimney, it should be cut in not caulked.
You want a good job and that is awfully steep and its cold out, that
leaves alot of room to do poor work. You need to cover yourself in
writing and only pay when its right. Who has insurance, dont accept a
cert, I have gotten forgeries, call the insurance co or you pay his
bills if he is hurt. Warranty? forget it unless he has equity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

#15 tar paper, no drip edges. * * * * * * * * * * *The roofer estimates it
will take 2 guys 2 days or approx 40 person hours to complete. This worksissues this price is more than fair
out to $50 an hour. Does this seem reasonable? *Seems like a steal for the
roofer considering his helper is probably getting $15 an hour and we are in
the dead of winter.

Agree on the no drip edge; What about insurance (Liabilty and Workers
Comp)? Experience? Disposal of debris? You get what you pay for...If
you can resolve these issues this is a GREAT price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

#15 tar paper, no drip edges. � � � � � � � � � � �The roofer estimates it
will take 2 guys 2 days or approx 40 person hours to complete. This worksissues this price is more than fair
out to $50 an hour. Does this seem reasonable? �Seems like a steal for the
roofer considering his helper is probably getting $15 an hour and we are in
the dead of winter.

Agree on the no drip edge; What about insurance (Liabilty and Workers
Comp)? �Experience? Disposal of debris? �You get what you pay for...If
you can resolve these issues this is a GREAT price.

ANY ROOFER WHO WOULDNT BOTHER REPLACING THE DRIP EDGE is doing slip
shod work I wouldnt let them on my property let alone my roof!
Posted to alt.home.repair

#15 tar paper, no drip edges. * * * * * * * * * * *The roofer estimates it
will take 2 guys 2 days or approx 40 person hours to complete. This works
out to $50 an hour. Does this seem reasonable? *Seems like a steal for the
roofer considering his helper is probably getting $15 an hour and we are in
the dead of winter.

Where's this being done.., China?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mac wrote:
I have a 20 sq roof 12/4 pitch with 2 20ft valleys and my own supply
of 3 tab shingles,nails etc. I received a quote of $2000 cash to
tear off the 1 layer and apply the new shingles (they are on the
ground lol) and a layer of #15 tar paper, no drip edges. The
roofer estimates it will take 2 guys 2 days or approx 40 person
hours to complete. This works out to $50 an hour. Does this seem
reasonable? Seems like a steal for the roofer considering his helper
is probably getting $15 an hour and we are in the dead of winter.

Will he do the job for $1000 without the tear-off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mac" wrote

I have a 20 sq roof 12/4 pitch with 2 20ft valleys and my own supply of 3

20sq foot? Are you sure? Bet you mean 2000sq ft?

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
"Mac" wrote

I have a 20 sq roof 12/4 pitch with 2 20ft valleys and my own
supply
of 3

20sq foot? Are you sure? Bet you mean 2000sq ft?

He didn't say 20 sq _foot_, he said 20 _sq_, where an "sq" is a
standard measure of 100 square feet.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J. Clarke" wrote
cshenk wrote:

I have a 20 sq roof 12/4 pitch with 2 20ft valleys and my own

20sq foot? Are you sure? Bet you mean 2000sq ft?

He didn't say 20 sq _foot_, he said 20 _sq_, where an "sq" is a
standard measure of 100 square feet.

Ah ok and thanks. I'm not a roofer and hadnt known that.

Cost Estimate - Sunken rafters under the roof (showing dips in the roof) [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 2nd 06 03:28 PM
new roof cost aw Home Repair 9 August 4th 05 09:07 PM
Roof Cost DL Home Ownership 3 August 24th 04 02:40 AM
Roof Cost DL Home Repair 7 August 23rd 04 09:06 PM