aw

Default new roof cost

I'm a lady living on social security and have
a leaking roof. It's about 38 years old and
there is 2 layers of 3 tab shingle.

can you give me a ball park figure of how
much per square a roofer should charge
including removing the old shingles and
carting them off?

thank you

Edwin Pawlowski

"aw" wrote in message
I'm a lady living on social security and have
a leaking roof. It's about 38 years old and
there is 2 layers of 3 tab shingle.

can you give me a ball park figure of how
much per square a roofer should charge
including removing the old shingles and
carting them off?

Two layers is maximum so they have to tear off. Figure in the range of $85
to $100 per 100 square feet. More on a steep roof, more on a very high roof.
More for dormers, gutters, lots of angles, etc

Mark and Kim Smith

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"aw" wrote in message
t...

I'm a lady living on social security and have
a leaking roof. It's about 38 years old and
there is 2 layers of 3 tab shingle.

can you give me a ball park figure of how
much per square a roofer should charge
including removing the old shingles and
carting them off?

Two layers is maximum so they have to tear off. Figure in the range of $85
to $100 per 100 square feet. More on a steep roof, more on a very high roof.
More for dormers, gutters, lots of angles, etc

In my town, three layers is max. But tear off is best. Who needs the
weight and the unsightly unevenness!
Kathy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"aw" wrote in message

.
I'm a lady living on social security and have
a leaking roof. It's about 38 years old and
there is 2 layers of 3 tab shingle.

can you give me a ball park figure of how
much per square a roofer should charge
including removing the old shingles and
carting them off?

Two layers is maximum so they have to tear off.

Figure in the range of $85
to $100 per 100 square feet. More on a steep

roof, more on a very high roof.
More for dormers, gutters, lots of angles, etc

Don't forget about plywood. My roof needed 17
sheets of plywood, The roof is 24 squares. A little
more than 3/4 of it is 12-2 and the other part is
4-12. I'm having it replaced this week. In southern
NJ. It's costing $8500. Not the cheapest quote I
got but not the highest either. I picked roofers
that seemed to know what they were doing and were
up to the challenge. So far they are doing a great
job.

tom

aw wrote:can you give me a ball park figure of how
much per square a roofer should charge
including removing the old shingles and
carting them off?

Around 10 years ago, I was charging at least $200/square for
tear-offs, of which I was happy to get barely $200/day to pay myself.
My crew made better money than I did! Tom

Todd H.

"aw" writes:
I'm a lady living on social security and have
a leaking roof. It's about 38 years old and
there is 2 layers of 3 tab shingle.

can you give me a ball park figure of how
much per square a roofer should charge
including removing the old shingles and
carting them off?

Roofing jobs are sized by squares (100sq ft), and Roof construction
and pitch factor in.

For each starter edge, there's a linear feet charge typically, so if
you have more surfaces to shingle rather than just a simple flat a
frame roof, it takes more time, and there's an additional cost.

There are upcharges for steeply pitched roofs as well as they're more
difficult for obvious reasons.

A little ole lady next door had her little Cape Cod in the Chicago
burbs reroofed including tearoff and cartage estimated at $3600. That
was her low estimate. The high estimate was around $8k. This is a
pretty dinky house though, and a straightforward 2-surface roof roof.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Vic Dura

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:13:57 GMT, in alt.home.repair new roof
cost "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"aw" wrote in message
t...
I'm a lady living on social security and have
a leaking roof. It's about 38 years old and
there is 2 layers of 3 tab shingle.

can you give me a ball park figure of how
much per square a roofer should charge
including removing the old shingles and
carting them off?

Two layers is maximum so they have to tear off. Figure in the range of $85
to $100 per 100 square feet. More on a steep roof, more on a very high roof.
More for dormers, gutters, lots of angles, etc

Also, more depending on where you live such as NY City, L.A., San
Francisco, or places where there as been a lot of recent weather
damage such as Florida.

Most important: as for references of customers the contractor has
performed work for during the past year.

Dr. Hardcrab

"Kathy" wrote

Don't forget about plywood. My roof needed 17
sheets of plywood, The roof is 24 squares. A little
more than 3/4 of it is 12-2 and the other part is
4-12. I'm having it replaced this week. In southern
NJ. It's costing $8500. Not the cheapest quote I
got but not the highest either. I picked roofers
that seemed to know what they were doing and were
up to the challenge. So far they are doing a great
job.

I am lucky to know people that can do roofing. I have helped on enough jobs
(including 15 years of voluteer work on Christmas In April) that I know what
I am doing now. I purchased the correct amount of shingles, paper, ridge
vent, vent boots, etc and had everything set to do the job on a Saturday. I
took a Friday off and got one of our company's dump body trucks so I could
scrape the old shingles off and have it ready to go when my "helpers"
arrived.
Well, just 30 minutes into the job, I fell through the roof (just up to my
thigh) 3 times. Never had a leak with the roof, but the wood was just so
thin (3/8"!!) and old that I think the shingles are what was holding me up
all of the times I went up on the roof to clean out the gutters!
Now I have more than doubled the price that I had planned on spending AND we
didn't get finished until late on Sunday.

I know that was a rambling story, but I just wanted to give an example of
something that can cause additional cost when it comes to a roofing job.

tom

George E. Cawthon wrote:
tom wrote:
aw wrote:can you give me a ball park figure of how
much per square a roofer should charge
including removing the old shingles and
carting them off?

Around 10 years ago, I was charging at least $200/square for
tear-offs, of which I was happy to get barely $200/day to pay myself.
My crew made better money than I did! Tom

Who did the work? Well, there was Mike, Jim, Pete and Dave. I didn't have to watch Pete or Mike nearly as closely as Jim and Dave! But you're right, I _did_ take it a little easier those days.

flat roof leak, eek! Ben Gold Home Repair 11 April 3rd 05 03:44 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Cost of re-tiling roof FrankG UK diy 2 January 27th 04 10:00 PM
HOW DO YOU GUYS FIGURE PROFIT? Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 26 September 29th 03 01:46 AM