Dr. Hardcrab

"Kathy" wrote

Don't forget about plywood. My roof needed 17
sheets of plywood, The roof is 24 squares. A little
more than 3/4 of it is 12-2 and the other part is
4-12. I'm having it replaced this week. In southern
NJ. It's costing $8500. Not the cheapest quote I
got but not the highest either. I picked roofers
that seemed to know what they were doing and were
up to the challenge. So far they are doing a great
job.

I am lucky to know people that can do roofing. I have helped on enough jobs
(including 15 years of voluteer work on Christmas In April) that I know what
I am doing now. I purchased the correct amount of shingles, paper, ridge
vent, vent boots, etc and had everything set to do the job on a Saturday. I
took a Friday off and got one of our company's dump body trucks so I could
scrape the old shingles off and have it ready to go when my "helpers"
arrived.
Well, just 30 minutes into the job, I fell through the roof (just up to my
thigh) 3 times. Never had a leak with the roof, but the wood was just so
thin (3/8"!!) and old that I think the shingles are what was holding me up
all of the times I went up on the roof to clean out the gutters!
Now I have more than doubled the price that I had planned on spending AND we
didn't get finished until late on Sunday.

I know that was a rambling story, but I just wanted to give an example of
something that can cause additional cost when it comes to a roofing job.