Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump Pump Replacement

RANDY ALEXANDER
-------------------------------------

I have a frozen discharge line on my Sump system. I caused this by
extending the discharge line into the ditch last summer to make my lawn
look better. We had a thaw & refreezing last week and my discharge line is
now frozen solid.
I initially thought it was a pump problem and replaced the pump. My old
one was 4/10 hp and looks about 25-30 years old. I am going to now cut the
discharge line 6" from the outside wall & conn a temp line till spring
then reconnect. I am replacing with a 1/4 hp submersible pump.
Now my questions, I think the 1/4 hp is enough it has to pump up 6' then
the discharge line is a slight downhill grade all the way to the ditch but
would appreciate any comments. The old pump system has a brass chk valve
on the horizontal section 6" up but no relief hole in line, it always
worked fine. All instructions for new pumps say to drill 1/8" relief hole
above pump but below water line. I did do this and it stirs up the water
in the Sump pit as it has a soft bottom nd I'm worried it will clog the
pump. Is this reief hole neccesary? Any other suggestions, Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 12:21*pm, (Randy
Alexander) wrote:
RANDY ALEXANDER
-------------------------------------

[...]

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I've also seen sump pumps installations that did not have a relief
hole and worked fine. It probably depends to some extent on the
design of the pump. The hole is there to prevent the pump from
becoming air-locked. That could occur if the sump pump goes dry and
all the water is gone. When the pump starts, it may be full of air
and not able to clear itself. The hole provides a way for the air to
escape and water to enter.

If stirring up muck is an issue, you can fashion something to clamp on
to the pipe in front of the hole for the water to hit and difuse. A z
shaped strip of metal should work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 12:21�pm, (Randy
Alexander) wrote:
RANDY ALEXANDER
-------------------------------------

[...]

The only reason I can think of for a relief hole is so that if your
switch sticks in such a way that the motor keeps running. The relief
hole will circulate a small amount of water to keep the pump cool.
Personally, I would take the chance that the switch won't stick if I
had a soft bottom sump like yours. If I had a sump container, then I
might drill the hole.

Another reason is it could be an anti siphon hole. If the end of your
pipe (in the ditch) is lower than your sump and it is water tight. it
will siphon after the line fills with water.

Keep the check valve in place, you'll need that. Your 1/4 HP pump
sounds like enough pump up 6 foot without a problem.

Hank