Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy Alexander Randy Alexander is offline

Default Sump Pump Replacement

RANDY ALEXANDER
-------------------------------------

I have a frozen discharge line on my Sump system. I caused this by
extending the discharge line into the ditch last summer to make my lawn
look better. We had a thaw & refreezing last week and my discharge line is
now frozen solid.
I initially thought it was a pump problem and replaced the pump. My old
one was 4/10 hp and looks about 25-30 years old. I am going to now cut the
discharge line 6" from the outside wall & conn a temp line till spring
then reconnect. I am replacing with a 1/4 hp submersible pump.
Now my questions, I think the 1/4 hp is enough it has to pump up 6' then
the discharge line is a slight downhill grade all the way to the ditch but
would appreciate any comments. The old pump system has a brass chk valve
on the horizontal section 6" up but no relief hole in line, it always
worked fine. All instructions for new pumps say to drill 1/8" relief hole
above pump but below water line. I did do this and it stirs up the water
in the Sump pit as it has a soft bottom nd I'm worried it will clog the
pump. Is this reief hole neccesary? Any other suggestions, Thx