Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pump replacement

This may seem a silly question, but here it is. My sump pump is over 20
years old. It stopped pumping yesterday and after draining the sump manually
and removing this pump I found the problem to be a rusted away pipe near
what appears to be an impeller housing. Whats left of some of the pipe is
rusted to that housing. Considering everything, I'm replacing the pump with
something new. What I have is a pedestal type, and over the last few years
I've spent too much time fiddling with the float and it's guides.

Can I replace this style with a submersible one? From photos they seem more
compact and the float seems simpler.
TIA,
Gerry

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Absolutely, as long as you have enough depth for the float or pressure
switch to operate

"gerry gardiner" wrote in message
. ..
This may seem a silly question, but here it is. My sump pump is over 20
years old. It stopped pumping yesterday and after draining the sump
manually
and removing this pump I found the problem to be a rusted away pipe near
what appears to be an impeller housing. Whats left of some of the pipe is
rusted to that housing. Considering everything, I'm replacing the pump
with
something new. What I have is a pedestal type, and over the last few years
I've spent too much time fiddling with the float and it's guides.

Can I replace this style with a submersible one? From photos they seem
more
compact and the float seems simpler.
TIA,
Gerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

gerry gardiner wrote:
This may seem a silly question, but here it is. My sump pump is over 20
years old. It stopped pumping yesterday and after draining the sump manually
and removing this pump I found the problem to be a rusted away pipe near
what appears to be an impeller housing. Whats left of some of the pipe is
rusted to that housing. Considering everything, I'm replacing the pump with
something new. What I have is a pedestal type, and over the last few years
I've spent too much time fiddling with the float and it's guides.

Can I replace this style with a submersible one? From photos they seem more
compact and the float seems simpler.
TIA,
Gerry

Yes as long as you have both room and depth for the float. I replaced
my pedestal with one somewhere around 20 years ago. Nice not fiddling
with the float anymore.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have had both kinds of pumps........

pedastal type advantage is you can know what the water level is...

the submersible type is filled with oil at least my old one was ttill a
seal failed and it shorted out.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try a Zoeller m53 it's a pretty durable unit and goes many years before
needing service which usually entails switch replacement- 4 machine
screws to remove cover.
gerry gardiner wrote:
This may seem a silly question, but here it is. My sump pump is over 20
years old. It stopped pumping yesterday and after draining the sump manually
and removing this pump I found the problem to be a rusted away pipe near
what appears to be an impeller housing. Whats left of some of the pipe is
rusted to that housing. Considering everything, I'm replacing the pump with
something new. What I have is a pedestal type, and over the last few years
I've spent too much time fiddling with the float and it's guides.

Can I replace this style with a submersible one? From photos they seem more
compact and the float seems simpler.
TIA,
Gerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

And as long as the drain pit (my family calls it a crock) is wide
enough to allow the float to rise.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
[...]

Questions - Battery Back-up Sump Pump Keith Home Repair 20 January 28th 06 11:43 PM
Broken Sump Pump? toller Home Repair 12 April 4th 05 03:04 PM
Sump Pump vs. No Sump Pump (Questions) BroJack Home Repair 4 September 5th 04 06:56 PM
Details of install of new sump pit and pump Puddin' Man Home Repair 4 December 28th 03 09:17 PM
Sump pump question. Pradeep Krishna Home Repair 3 September 2nd 03 07:34 PM