Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Up Flush toilets -- basement bathroom

I am checking out options for putting a toilet and shower in a basement
where the horizontal sewer drain line is about 12 inches above the floor
line. I just started looking into "up flush" toilets, etc. I also found
this "Ask This Old House" YouTube video where they show an up flush toilet
being installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72TvsTEH-k (no need to watch it unless you
are curious; it's about 8 minutes long).

Anyone have any experiences with "up flush" systems? Any pros, cons,
thoughts, or suggestions that people could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonABC" wrote in message
I am checking out options for putting a toilet and shower in a basement
where the horizontal sewer drain line is about 12 inches above the floor
line. I just started looking into "up flush" toilets, etc. I also found
this "Ask This Old House" YouTube video where they show an up flush toilet
being installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72TvsTEH-k (no need to watch it unless you
are curious; it's about 8 minutes long).

Anyone have any experiences with "up flush" systems? Any pros, cons,
thoughts, or suggestions that people could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What about building up a platform to just above the drain line and mounting
the toilet on that? You could make a regular throne ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 4:27 pm, "Sharp Dressed Man" wrote:

What about building up a platform to just above the drain line and mounting
the toilet on that? You could make a regular throne ;-)

If the pipe is only 12" above the floor, how about a wall mount
toilet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:27:04 -0500, "Sharp Dressed Man"
wrote:

"RonABC" wrote in message
I am checking out options for putting a toilet and shower in a basement
where the horizontal sewer drain line is about 12 inches above the floor
line. I just started looking into "up flush" toilets, etc. I also found
this "Ask This Old House" YouTube video where they show an up flush toilet
being installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72TvsTEH-k (no need to watch it unless you
are curious; it's about 8 minutes long).

Anyone have any experiences with "up flush" systems? Any pros, cons,
thoughts, or suggestions that people could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What about building up a platform to just above the drain line and mounting
the toilet on that? You could make a regular throne ;-)

Adding complexity is a sure way to add more chance of repairs.
I would avoid it if possible, which it is not unless you give up on
the idea of a toilet down there.

Check with the local code enforcers. It is best to find out
before you start than after you are done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RonABC wrote:
I am checking out options for putting a toilet and shower in a basement
where the horizontal sewer drain line is about 12 inches above the floor
line. I just started looking into "up flush" toilets, etc. I also found
this "Ask This Old House" YouTube video where they show an up flush toilet
being installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72TvsTEH-k (no need to watch it unless you
are curious; it's about 8 minutes long).

Anyone have any experiences with "up flush" systems? Any pros, cons,
thoughts, or suggestions that people could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ah, the ee cummings toilet! 'up so flushing many turds down', etc.

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 8:44�pm, aemeijers wrote:
RonABC wrote:
I am checking out options for putting a toilet and shower in a basement
where the horizontal sewer drain line is about 12 inches above the floor
line. �I just started looking into "up flush" toilets, etc. �I also found
this "Ask This Old House" YouTube video where they show an up flush toilet
being installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72TvsTEH-k(no need to watch it unless you
are curious; it's about 8 minutes long).

Anyone have any experiences with "up flush" systems? �Any pros, cons,
thoughts, or suggestions that people could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ah, the ee cummings toilet! 'up so flushing many turds down', etc.

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

my father in law has one and is very happy, the toilet has a grinder
pump built into it, and it accepts not only the toilet waste but the
shower and washing machine water. fred used to run a sewer plant so he
knows what he is doing.

his sewer line to the septic tank is about 16 inches off the floor.

I have thought about a addition on the back of our home with a deeper
foundation for more head room which would make one of these necessary.
fred said they work great, the discharge line is under 2 inches, easy
to run behind walls etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:08:58 -0500, "RonABC" wrote:

I am checking out options for putting a toilet and shower in a basement
where the horizontal sewer drain line is about 12 inches above the floor
line. I just started looking into "up flush" toilets, etc. I also found
this "Ask This Old House" YouTube video where they show an up flush toilet
being installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72TvsTEH-k (no need to watch it unless you
are curious; it's about 8 minutes long).

Anyone have any experiences with "up flush" systems? Any pros, cons,
thoughts, or suggestions that people could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

They work, but I have seen homeoweners remove upflush appliances from
basements due to pump issues, clogs, etc. My sister recently removed
hers and moved the laundry from basement to the ground level--no more
noisy flushing mechanisms and clogs. I'd think twice about
installing up flush systems, unless there are no other options.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sharp Dressed Man wrote:
"RonABC" wrote in message
I am checking out options for putting a toilet and shower in a
basement where the horizontal sewer drain line is about 12 inches
above the floor line. I just started looking into "up flush"
toilets, etc. I also found this "Ask This Old House" YouTube video
where they show an up flush toilet being installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72TvsTEH-k (no need to watch it
unless you are curious; it's about 8 minutes long).

Anyone have any experiences with "up flush" systems? Any pros, cons,
thoughts, or suggestions that people could offer would be
appreciated. Thanks.

What about building up a platform to just above the drain line and
mounting the toilet on that? You could make a regular throne ;-)

Maybe, but to do so would be cutting it a little close in terms of the
ceiling height. Still, it's a possibility if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
On Jan 27, 4:27 pm, "Sharp Dressed Man" wrote:

What about building up a platform to just above the drain line and
mounting the toilet on that? You could make a regular throne ;-)

If the pipe is only 12" above the floor, how about a wall mount
toilet?

Thanks. I didn't know about or think about that. I'm checking them out on
the Internet now to see what the story is on wall mount toilets. The wall
mount idea wouldn't work for the shower, but a pump that pumps the drain
water up from the shower drain up to the sewer line seems a lot less weird
than a pump that has to grind up the waste from a toilet and pump that up to
the sewer line.