Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating a garage

Hi,

Tip query here. One of the delayed projects (not renter damae this time,
origonal construction), is to insulate the garage. It has no insulation at
all right now except at the wall to the house.

The plan is fairly simple. The pink stuff in a roll will do. All beams are
exposed. Paper layer towards the heat source (grin, outside wall I guess in
our case of the south). Covering it required then by code. It's the
covering that we query.

Cost is not as relevant as ease. Code is pretty standard here (cover the
fiberglass with something fire resistant). Project slated for spring when
it's warm enough to comfortably work out there.

We simply do not want to bother with drywall. It's a garage and intended to
remain one. The simplist product to use seems to be sheet paneling. Any
easier ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message

Cost is not as relevant as ease. Code is pretty standard here (cover the
fiberglass with something fire resistant). Project slated for spring when
it's warm enough to comfortably work out there.

We simply do not want to bother with drywall. It's a garage and intended
to remain one. The simplist product to use seems to be sheet paneling.
Any easier ideas?

I use 3/8" drywall. Lighter to work with, easy to cut or trim. If you plan
to hang garden tools and the like, consider plywood. That may not meet
code though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:03*am, "cshenk" wrote:
[...]

Here is a possible product......poly faced / fire resistance that may
or may not require drywall depending on local codes.

http://products.construction.com/Man...ion-NST15791-P

In a garage, for utility & cleanliness and if you can get away without
using drywall...... I would suggest covering the insulation with the
thickest / cheapest plywood you can find, at least 1/2".

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote

remain one. The simplist product to use seems to be sheet paneling. Any
easier ideas?

Here is a possible product......poly faced / fire resistance that may
or may not require drywall depending on local codes.

(snipped as wouldnt quote right).

Very interesting! Problem is web page says my nearest distributor is in
Denver CO.

That would however the the ticket for our needs.

In a garage, for utility & cleanliness and if you can get away without
using drywall...... I would suggest covering the insulation with the
thickest / cheapest plywood you can find, at least 1/2".

I have a friend who may be ripping out some really ugly thin panelling wood
that the kids crayoned on. His garage is slated to be shifted to an extra
living room (drywall and all). He debating putting the drywall up over it,
or taking it down so he can run wires easier then put new insulation in and
drywall it.

Don (husband) came up with an idea to run by you guys. Those large sheets
of ceiling tile would be pretty easy to just nail up along the roof line
with the fiberglass rolled stuff between the beams.

More explaining needed. Don and I both are reasonably experienced DIY sorts
with all but plumbing and electrics. With plumbing, we can easily replace a
toilet etc. We are however older and I have serious back issues (not
wheelchair yet but can not lift much at all). I can climb a ladder up to
the roof of the garage and hold insulation while Don secures it. I could
hold a ceiling tile as well when he nails it. Together, we can not handle a
sheet of drywall or plywood at the ceiling level. I think a sheet of thin
panelling would work. 1/2 inch plywood would just be too heavy.

If you add cost of labor to have it done for us, the more expensive products
we can do ourselves win in the end on 'price total'.

I know those sheets of ceiling tiles cost *much* more per square foot than
drywall, but we'd have to hire someone and the preliminary checks on how
much that would be for the ceiling (plywood less at 1500$) were from 2,000
to 2,500 just for the ceiling alone.

I like Don's idea. I'd have posted it in the first post but he came up with
it just 30 mins ago. He says it has a neat advantage. See, he gets a new
boy-toy. A pneumatic nail driver ;-)

Any better ideas well appreciated! Meantime, this looks like about 500$ in
materials and a new boy-toy (grin).

I will see first if I can find the stuff you mentioned, in some local store.
That would be even easier!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Cost is not as relevant as ease. Code is pretty standard here (cover the
fiberglass with something fire resistant). Project slated for spring
when it's warm enough to comfortably work out there.

We simply do not want to bother with drywall. It's a garage and intended
to remain one. The simplist product to use seems to be sheet paneling.
Any easier ideas?

I use 3/8" drywall. Lighter to work with, easy to cut or trim. If you
plan to hang garden tools and the like, consider plywood. That may not
meet code though.

Grin, thanks! I was trying to not do the 'oh pity me' bit but i cant lift
much at all. DDD which I seem to recall you as well have? Recent MRI shows
that dagnabbit, another one went. Center back this time.

The relevant ones are the mid to upper neck that give carpal tunnel like
symptoms and prevent me from lifting anything over 20 lbs above my
shoulders. (relevant info, cant not lift above head for long and not much,
rest is just chat).

So, with no fancy gear, anything as heavy as plywood or drywall is out for
the upper parts unless we pay labor fees to have it done.

Any ideas you have for this will be appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 11:30*am, "cshenk" wrote:
"BobK207" wrote

[...]

I didn't realize that this porject was ceiling work....overhead work
with back issues is a no-no.
BTDT no project is work a back injury.

Those ceiling tiles are pretty weak stuff. But for a ceiling just
about anything would work.

A great tool for drywalling (or sheathing) a ceiling is a drywall
lift. You can postion the sheet & just use a drill / driver with
drywall screws or nail it up.

Check out your local Craigslist...you might be able to buy & then flip
it. That way you could dry wall the ceiling at your pace & not rack
up rental costs.

Rental runs about $30 to $50 pre day but here's cheapo one
http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Drywall-P.../dp/B000ZIEOHW

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message

Cost is not as relevant as ease. Code is
pretty standard here
(cover the fiberglass with something fire
resistant). Project
slated for spring when it's warm enough to
comfortably work out
there. We simply do not want to bother with
drywall. It's a garage and
intended to remain one. The simplist product
to use seems to be
sheet paneling. Any easier ideas?

I use 3/8" drywall. Lighter to work with, easy
to cut or trim. If
you plan to hang garden tools and the like,
consider plywood. That
may not meet code though.

I slipped a "line" of plywood all along the walls
where I might want to hang things; prettier than
putting it on top. Then just covered all with
fire-resistant drywall. Passed inspection fine,
including electrical.

Twayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 12:03�pm, "cshenk" wrote:

We simply do not want to bother with drywall. �It's a garage and intended to
remain one. �The simplist product to use seems to be sheet paneling. �Any
easier ideas?

I used "Liner". Liner is pole barn metal siding, but with only 1 or 2
coats of paint and it costs less than regular metal siding. They will
sell to the inch in length and it is 3 feet wide. You can get it in
most colors, I did mine in white. Unlike drywall, there is no finising
or painting. You just have to run horizontal perlins on the walls to
screw it to. It is easily washed, hard to dent and has the "garage"
look. I used it on the ceiling and walls. It looks great.

Hank ~~~~hates drywall in a garage
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote

I didn't realize that this porject was ceiling work....overhead work
with back issues is a no-no.
BTDT no project is work a back injury.

Yeah.

Those ceiling tiles are pretty weak stuff. But for a ceiling just
about anything would work.

I figured the thicker ones (about 1/3 inch thick or so) would work. Then
the walls in a possible free panelling (Paint them later to cover the crayon
etc).

A great tool for drywalling (or sheathing) a ceiling is a drywall
lift. You can postion the sheet & just use a drill / driver with

Rental runs about $30 to $50 pre day but here's cheapo one
http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Drywall-P.../dp/B000ZIEOHW

Didnt know they were so cheap! Still, if doing this against the actual
rafters (so we can store stuff in the beams) it wont lift high enough. An
idea though! Thanks!

Plenty of time to plan here. Thats why I asked early ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

We simply do not want to bother with drywall. ?It's a garage and intended
remain one.

I used "Liner". Liner is pole barn metal siding, but with only 1 or 2
coats of paint and it costs less than regular metal siding. They will
sell to the inch in length and it is 3 feet wide. You can get it in
most colors, I did mine in white. Unlike drywall, there is no finising
or painting. You just have to run horizontal perlins on the walls to
screw it to. It is easily washed, hard to dent and has the "garage"
look. I used it on the ceiling and walls. It looks great.

Hank ~~~~hates drywall in a garage

Cool Hank! I googled for pole barn metal siding and saw a lot of easy
looking ideas there!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob M." wrote
"cshenk" wrote

We simply do not want to bother with drywall. It's a garage and intended
to remain one. The simplist product to use seems to be sheet paneling.
Any easier ideas?

You may have to bother with drywall per local code and/or insurance
requirement. Drywall doesn't burn.

Thats ok, sheet panelling is legal inside too. Least ways, here it is. I'd
be suprised if it wasnt elsewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 12:26�pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Hustlin' Hank" wrote

"cshenk" wrote:
We simply do not want to bother with drywall. ?It's a garage and intended
remain one.

I used "Liner". Liner is pole barn metal siding, but with only 1 or 2
coats of paint and it costs less than regular metal siding. They will
sell to the inch in length and it is 3 feet wide. You can get it in
most colors, I did mine in white. Unlike drywall, there is no finising
or painting. You just have to run horizontal perlins on the walls to
screw it to. It is easily washed, hard to dent and has the "garage"
look. I used it on the ceiling and walls. It looks great.
Hank ~~~~hates drywall in a garage

Cool Hank! �I googled for pole barn metal siding and saw a lot of easy
looking ideas there!

If you decide to go with the metal, email me and I'll give you a few
pointers if you need them.

Hank ~~~likes Rock and Roll, Heavy Metal...not so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

Hi,

Tip query here. One of the delayed projects (not renter damae this time,
origonal construction), is to insulate the garage. It has no insulation at
all right now except at the wall to the house.

The plan is fairly simple. The pink stuff in a roll will do. All beams are
exposed. Paper layer towards the heat source (grin, outside wall I guess in
our case of the south). Covering it required then by code. It's the
covering that we query.

Cost is not as relevant as ease. Code is pretty standard here (cover the
fiberglass with something fire resistant). Project slated for spring when
it's warm enough to comfortably work out there.

We simply do not want to bother with drywall. It's a garage and intended to
remain one. The simplist product to use seems to be sheet paneling. Any
easier ideas?

A garage is used to park cars. Seriously, if it's intended to remain a
garage, why do you want to insulate it? Is it actually a workshop and
intended to remain a workshop?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

We simply do not want to bother with drywall. It's a garage and intended
remain one. The simplist product to use seems to be sheet paneling. Any
easier ideas?

A garage is used to park cars. Seriously, if it's intended to remain a
garage, why do you want to insulate it? Is it actually a workshop and
intended to remain a workshop?

Sorry for not explaining but you are right. Not enough information there to
see 'why' we want to insulate it.

Virginia has some odd codes for such in the past. I have water pipes
running along the ceiling in one area which last year split on us. They
were not unsulated and the pipe heater had failed. We rarely get that cold
here, but it happens.

In there, besides several critical water lines, is a chest freezer. Chest
freezers dont work all that well under 40F. I may have as much as 400$
worth of food at any time in there.

The old chest freezer was not as energy efficient so sent out just enough
heat to keep things stable. The we replaced it wth a more modern model and
insulated the wall along the house to the garage. This brought our heating
bills down, but cuased a freezing pipe problem and now we have 2 heaters
(simple electrics) in the garage to bring it back to what that old chest
freezer used to do. Snicker, case of back tracking and we arent saving like
we should be because we didnt need heaters before this and the new chest
freezer is cheaper to run in and of itself, but the offset from the 2
electric units costs more to run.

You'll se another thread on insulating an attic here someplace. This is a
case for the insulation needed in walls and the rafters along the ceiling.
Much cheaper than shifting the water lines (code spec but odd).

I will add, have gotten some great tips here on what to do for this. We
asked early as we don't plan to do the insulation, before spring.

I did a local check with the 'code dudes' at the city office. I can use
interior rated paneling in a garage to cover insulation. I can also use
ceiling tiles at the roof area to hold insulation up if I wish and still be
in code for a garage. She mentioned if I wanted to later convert to 'living
space' I had to shift some gas things like the hot water heater and HVAC gas
heater portion enclosures and types but am fine as it is right now.

I'm not a total code freak, but I check to be safe as most codes are there
for a reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote

Cool Hank! ?I googled for pole barn metal siding and saw a lot of easy
looking ideas there!

If you decide to go with the metal, email me and I'll give you a few
pointers if you need them.

Thanks Hank! That was another one I ran by the 'local code dudes' and it
was definately allowed here for interior garage use as long as still spec'd
as a garage. In fact, they liked it better than drywall for this particular
application and said it was 'odd' for living space too but no rules against
it if the house later adapts to use this as a living space.

My impression was 'not a listed item' against inside use but listed for
barns and garages.

I hope that makes sense. We are sensibly checking *early* to get the right
products to suit our needs and finances. I so hate to be rushed ;-)

insulating a garage Fred UK diy 22 May 2nd 08 12:18 AM
insulating garage lister UK diy 5 May 1st 07 12:58 PM
Insulating garage in CT Bob M Home Repair 3 October 28th 05 12:40 PM
Insulating the garage r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 7 September 19th 05 11:35 PM
Insulating garage roof r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 2 December 22nd 04 09:51 AM