Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Insulating a garage

"BobK207" wrote

remain one. The simplist product to use seems to be sheet paneling. Any
easier ideas?

Here is a possible product......poly faced / fire resistance that may
or may not require drywall depending on local codes.

(snipped as wouldnt quote right).

Very interesting! Problem is web page says my nearest distributor is in
Denver CO.

That would however the the ticket for our needs.

In a garage, for utility & cleanliness and if you can get away without
using drywall...... I would suggest covering the insulation with the
thickest / cheapest plywood you can find, at least 1/2".

I have a friend who may be ripping out some really ugly thin panelling wood
that the kids crayoned on. His garage is slated to be shifted to an extra
living room (drywall and all). He debating putting the drywall up over it,
or taking it down so he can run wires easier then put new insulation in and
drywall it.

Don (husband) came up with an idea to run by you guys. Those large sheets
of ceiling tile would be pretty easy to just nail up along the roof line
with the fiberglass rolled stuff between the beams.

More explaining needed. Don and I both are reasonably experienced DIY sorts
with all but plumbing and electrics. With plumbing, we can easily replace a
toilet etc. We are however older and I have serious back issues (not
wheelchair yet but can not lift much at all). I can climb a ladder up to
the roof of the garage and hold insulation while Don secures it. I could
hold a ceiling tile as well when he nails it. Together, we can not handle a
sheet of drywall or plywood at the ceiling level. I think a sheet of thin
panelling would work. 1/2 inch plywood would just be too heavy.

If you add cost of labor to have it done for us, the more expensive products
we can do ourselves win in the end on 'price total'.

I know those sheets of ceiling tiles cost *much* more per square foot than
drywall, but we'd have to hire someone and the preliminary checks on how
much that would be for the ceiling (plywood less at 1500$) were from 2,000
to 2,500 just for the ceiling alone.

I like Don's idea. I'd have posted it in the first post but he came up with
it just 30 mins ago. He says it has a neat advantage. See, he gets a new
boy-toy. A pneumatic nail driver ;-)

Any better ideas well appreciated! Meantime, this looks like about 500$ in
materials and a new boy-toy (grin).

I will see first if I can find the stuff you mentioned, in some local store.
That would be even easier!