r.p.mcmurphy

Default Insulating garage roof

hi all, i have a cold workshop/garage that i am going to heat with a
blown air heating system taken from a block of flats. the walls are single
brick wide so i will probably be cellotexing them, but the rafters which are
exposed..what is the best/cheapest/least labour intensive method to use?
(erring on the side of frugalness)

Steve

Andy Hall

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:14:52 -0000, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

hi all, i have a cold workshop/garage that i am going to heat with a
blown air heating system taken from a block of flats. the walls are single
brick wide so i will probably be cellotexing them, but the rafters which are
exposed..what is the best/cheapest/least labour intensive method to use?
(erring on the side of frugalness)

Steve

Same thing. I used 50mm Celotex fitted to the surface of the
rafters because I didn't find losing a little space next to them. The
other option would be to fit pieces in between. I used long drywall
screws with large washers to fit the sheets to the rafters and then
taped the joints with foil tape.

One important point is to make sure that there is ventilation behind.
My roof construction is such that there are soffits under the eaves in
between each pair of rafters, so I drilled a hole and put a vent in
each on each side. For the walls, I made stud frames fitted to a
pressure treated timber Rawlbolted to the floor (DPC under it) and
bolted to the joists at ceiling height. This left a 20mm or so gap
behind and then the Celotex is fitted in between and ply to the
surface for the walls. THis means that things can be fitted easily
anywhere. So the ventilation ports ventilate behind both the wall
and the roof insulation.

When I did the calculations, the walls were the largest heat loss
followed by the roof, and the floor was not a great deal.

Don't forget to do the doors and also try to draughtproof the doors a
bit.

The result will be quite cosy.

--

..andy