Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to shoot foam into this gap.

Hi,

In the following picture, you are looking at a gap between my roof
(with a skylight) and an interior stone wall (which used to be
exterior before the addition). The roof structure is old and the roof
shingles were recently installed by a fantastic roofing company. There
are no leaks of any kind so that's not a worry.

http://freeboundaries.com/roofgap.jpg

However, there is lots of cold air coming through that gap. So I would
like to shoot some foam into that space. But how can I do it and make
sure that it sticks and also, how do I make sure that I don't muck up
the stone that I am leaving explosed. That beam that's runs along the
stone looks like a 2x8 so I want to shoot the foam 7 1/2 inches high.
I can just see the stuff you buy at HD in cans falling out and messing
up the stones and not really insulating all that well. (Maybe I can
put a longer attachment that will place it deaper?) Anyway, I'm
looking for advice on how to deal with it.

Many thank in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 12:58*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

To me the stone looks rough, dirty with mortar on it. A chisel will
remove mortar, Muriatic acid will clean it. For foam sheet plastic
ductaped under the opening to keep foam off then cut it. Foam cans
need to be upside down, to just extend the hose it will come out real
slow or almost not at all. If I remember I slipped a bigger hose over
the cans hose and heated the can in hot water to get it out. it
expands so its hard to control.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

If air is coming through the crack, sounds like the top edge of the roof
and the stone wall was not flashed and sealed properly. Did they cut a
notch in the stone and use overlapping flashing (2 interlocked L
shapes?) If water isn't coming in, but air is, I'd try shoving
fiberglass up there with a stick, and maybe finish with some of that
plastic foam rope caulk, AKA backer rod, that they sell for driveway
cracks, to provide a tight seal at the bottom. Foam in a can would
likely make a mess, with a less-than-experienced user. A commercial foam
gun with an experienced operator could probably do it, but unless you
have other work on site for him, would be rather expensive.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 8:54�am, aemeijers wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

one MUST work carefully around chimneys lest heat transfer cause a
housefire.

a old friend insulated great, had a fire caused by his insulation

One needs code enforcement officer info before proceeding
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron, this it the approach I would take:

Get some this visqueen with tape to cover your entire wall face,
just in case.
"http://www.shop3m.com/70070837367.html?WT.mc_ev=clickthrough&WT.mc_id=sh op3m-AtoZ-Hand-Masker-Film"
Get a long enough one to cover your wall.

Buy, borrow, one of these:
http://www.touch-n-seal.com/foamguns.htm
or similar. The last one I bought was about $40. Make sure you
buy minimum expanding (little or no pressure/expansion) foam
http://www.touch-n-seal.com/nowarpgun.htm

You can add a length of clear plastic tubing to the tip to get
back in farther if you need to.

I'm glad you made me look - they have a foam that is already black
and doesn't require painting, even outdoors, that I didn't know
about:
http://www.touch-n-seal.com/blackfoam.htm

and a can of cleaner for the gun if you intend to keep it for
other work. If you don't clean the gun, throw it away - there is
no other way to salvage the gun. Buy several cans of foam,
especially if you can return what you don't use. Just looking I
would guess at 6 cans from what I see in the picture.

Once the foam is set up - next day- saw any excess foam off with a
serrated knife, Sawzall, hacksaw blade or similar. I would paint
it flat black to loose in the shadow line. Forget this one if
you use the black stuff.

They have a new fire version also:
http://www.touch-n-seal.com/onecomponent.htm
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

[...]

Aaron- Hide quoted text -

Thanks!

Is there a retailer that sells touch n seal products?

Posted to alt.home.repair

i stapled some thin strips along the gap to cover it, drilled some
holes in the strips and shot the foam in thru the little holes i
drilled .this worked well for me. after cured you could remove the
strips or leave them there. some strips on the outside can be used if
you want to control the mess..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:58:44 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude
wrote:

[...]

They sell a round foam "rope" in many sizes. It's designed to fill
gaps like yours prior to calking. Buy several sizes and push it into
the gaps according to the size of the gap. Then use some clear
silicone caulk along the edges and any gaps to seal it. The clear
caulk will not hurt the look of the stone, and the rope will be inside
the gap. This rope is usually gray, so it will look like mortar.
Ace Hardware sells this rope, and probably other places.
Posted to alt.home.repair

the canned stuff works just fine. As a matter of fact the off brand stuff
in the green can at walmart works better than the named brand (great stuff).
and is a dollar cheaper. Two cans will do what you have there. Contrary to
what one moron said here, the can does NOT have to be upside down. They
work equally well in any position.

steve

--
All you scholars who think bush messed up..... You ain't seen nothin' yet!
Just wait. You'll be cryin' for mercy after a while with Bro Bama

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 11:15 am, "DanG" wrote:

Thanks!

Is there a retailer that sells touch n seal products?

Before you shoot cats.... Gunner Metalworking 169 March 12th 13 06:15 PM
oh shoot Grant Erwin Metalworking 42 September 30th 05 03:14 AM
Shoot me if I ever try to turn for a living. Lazarus Long Woodturning 1 March 30th 04 09:40 AM