Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimw Jimw is offline

Default How to shoot foam into this gap.

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:58:44 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

In the following picture, you are looking at a gap between my roof
(with a skylight) and an interior stone wall (which used to be
exterior before the addition). The roof structure is old and the roof
shingles were recently installed by a fantastic roofing company. There
are no leaks of any kind so that's not a worry.

http://freeboundaries.com/roofgap.jpg

However, there is lots of cold air coming through that gap. So I would
like to shoot some foam into that space. But how can I do it and make
sure that it sticks and also, how do I make sure that I don't muck up
the stone that I am leaving explosed. That beam that's runs along the
stone looks like a 2x8 so I want to shoot the foam 7 1/2 inches high.
I can just see the stuff you buy at HD in cans falling out and messing
up the stones and not really insulating all that well. (Maybe I can
put a longer attachment that will place it deaper?) Anyway, I'm
looking for advice on how to deal with it.

Many thank in advance,

Aaron

They sell a round foam "rope" in many sizes. It's designed to fill
gaps like yours prior to calking. Buy several sizes and push it into
the gaps according to the size of the gap. Then use some clear
silicone caulk along the edges and any gaps to seal it. The clear
caulk will not hurt the look of the stone, and the rope will be inside
the gap. This rope is usually gray, so it will look like mortar.
Ace Hardware sells this rope, and probably other places.