Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Copper Pipes / Electrical Panel Clearance

In my basement there is a cold water pipe (copper) that is
approximately 1.5 feet in front of my electrical panel. It seems
awfully close. Does code allow pipes to be ran this close?

Amy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
In my basement there is a cold water pipe (copper) that is
approximately 1.5 feet in front of my electrical panel. It seems
awfully close. Does code allow pipes to be ran this close?

Amy

The NEC requires three feet clear working space in front of a panel. An
electrical inspector can make exceptions if there is a hardship, but your
situation sounds like laziness on the part of a plumber

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
In my basement there is a cold water pipe (copper) that is
approximately 1.5 feet in front of my electrical panel. It seems
awfully close. Does code allow pipes to be ran this close?

Amy

The NEC requires three feet clear working space in front of a panel. An
electrical inspector can make exceptions if there is a hardship, but your
situation sounds like laziness on the part of a plumber

Not enough details to make a statement like that. If, by in front, he means
it runs across the ceiling and the box is a couple of feet below it mounted
to the wall, I don't see any laziness. A better description or photo would
help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
In my basement there is a cold water pipe (copper) that is
approximately 1.5 feet in front of my electrical panel. It seems
awfully close. Does code allow pipes to be ran this close?

Amy

Pipes are run by electrical panels all the time . I've run pipes over cable
trays feeding high rises.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
In my basement there is a cold water pipe (copper) that is
approximately 1.5 feet in front of my electrical panel. It seems
awfully close. Does code allow pipes to be ran this close?

Amy

The NEC requires three feet clear working space in front of a panel. An
electrical inspector can make exceptions if there is a hardship, but your
situation sounds like laziness on the part of a plumber
Just to clarify: The space above your panel up to 6.5 feet, and minimum of
30" wide, as well as below the panel to the floor, and extending out 36"
from the face of the panel, should not have any plumbing pipes in it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 11:15*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
In my basement there is a cold water pipe (copper) that is
approximately 1.5 feet in front of my electrical panel. *It seems
awfully close. *Does code allow pipes to be ran this close?

Amy

The NEC requires three feet clear working space in front of a panel. An
electrical inspector can make exceptions if there is a hardship, but your
situation sounds like laziness on the part of a plumber

Not enough details to make a statement like that. *If, by in front, he means
it runs across the ceiling and the box is a couple of feet below it mounted
to the wall, I don't see any laziness. *A better description or photo would
help.

For clarification the panel is mounted on the wall. The pipe runs
parallel to the box but 1.5 feet in front of in. So if you were
standing in front of the panel looking directly at it the pipe is
above your head (not over the panel).

Hope this helps,
Amy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
For clarification the panel is mounted on the wall. The pipe runs
parallel to the box but 1.5 feet in front of in. So if you were
standing in front of the panel looking directly at it the pipe is
above your head (not over the panel).

Hope this helps,
Amy

Yes, that helps. If the pipe is above, and not blocking, the panel, it is
OK. In my house the box is about 2' down from the ceiling and any pipe are
on the ceiling and that is OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote in message
For clarification the panel is mounted on the wall. The pipe runs
parallel to the box but 1.5 feet in front of in. So if you were
standing in front of the panel looking directly at it the pipe is
above your head (not over the panel).

Hope this helps,
Amy

Yes, that helps. If the pipe is above, and not blocking, the panel, it is
OK.

Not necessarily; it depends on how far the pipe is above the floor. The Code
requires clearance in front of the panel to work -- which includes sufficient
space for a workman to stand up in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

As long as the pipe isn't a head-banger, and will not interfere with
removing the front of the panel when needed, not a problem. Not ideal,
but reality seldom is. I'm no code expert, but a 3-foot clear zone in
front, floor to top of panel, is what 'they' always told me. Should be a
common sense thing- are any pipes placed where they are likely to leak
on the panel, and can an electrician get in there to make repairs as
needed, without tearing anything out?

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 1:39*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:

On Jan 10, 11:15=A0pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

The NEC requires three feet clear working space in front of a panel. An
electrical inspector can make exceptions if there is a hardship, but your
situation sounds like laziness on the part of a plumber

Not enough details to make a statement like that. If, by in front, he means
it runs across the ceiling and the box is a couple of feet below it mounted
to the wall, I don't see any laziness. A better description or photo would
help.

For clarification the panel is mounted on the wall. *The pipe runs
parallel to the box but 1.5 feet in front of in. *So if you were
standing in front of the panel looking directly at it the pipe is
above your head (not over the panel).

Hope this helps,

No, it does not help. You still haven't told us what the height of the pipe
is, either above the floor or relative to the height of the panel. "Over
your head" is not an adequate description: what's over *your* head might not
be over *mine*.

Sorry, the pipe is mounted to the basement (non finished) rafters.
The approx height of the joist is 7ft. The pipe is mounted to it - so
that makes the pipe arond 6' 10".

The electrical panel is approximately 1 foot below the ceiling.
However, all the wires extend out from the top into the ceiling to
various locations in the house.

Amy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

As long as the pipe isn't a head-banger, and will not interfere with
removing the front of the panel when needed, not a problem. Not ideal,

It's not as long as your smaller than 6' 10".

but reality seldom is. I'm no code expert, but a 3-foot clear zone in
front, floor to top of panel, is what 'they' always told me. Should be a
common sense thing- are any pipes placed where they are likely to leak
on the panel,

If the pipe was dripping it would not drip onto the panel, but if
there was a pierce or pin hole that sprayed I would think the pressure
in the pipe could force it to spray the panel.

and can an electrician get in there to make repairs as
needed, without tearing anything out?

Yes. Nothing would have to be removed to work on the panel. There is
plenty of clearance.

Thanks
Amy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 3:03*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:

Sorry, the pipe is mounted to the basement (non finished) rafters.
The approx height of the joist is 7ft. *The pipe is mounted to it - so
that makes the pipe arond 6' 10".

In that case, you're good.

Thank you,
Amy