Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Copper Pipes / Electrical Panel Clearance

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
In my basement there is a cold water pipe (copper) that is
approximately 1.5 feet in front of my electrical panel. It seems
awfully close. Does code allow pipes to be ran this close?

Amy

The NEC requires three feet clear working space in front of a panel. An
electrical inspector can make exceptions if there is a hardship, but your
situation sounds like laziness on the part of a plumber
Just to clarify: The space above your panel up to 6.5 feet, and minimum of
30" wide, as well as below the panel to the floor, and extending out 36"
from the face of the panel, should not have any plumbing pipes in it