Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimw Jimw is offline

Default Copper Pipes / Electrical Panel Clearance

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 09:43:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 10, 11:15*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
In my basement there is a cold water pipe (copper) that is
approximately 1.5 feet in front of my electrical panel. *It seems
awfully close. *Does code allow pipes to be ran this close?

Amy

The NEC requires three feet clear working space in front of a panel. An
electrical inspector can make exceptions if there is a hardship, but your
situation sounds like laziness on the part of a plumber

Not enough details to make a statement like that. *If, by in front, he means
it runs across the ceiling and the box is a couple of feet below it mounted
to the wall, I don't see any laziness. *A better description or photo would
help.

For clarification the panel is mounted on the wall. The pipe runs
parallel to the box but 1.5 feet in front of in. So if you were
standing in front of the panel looking directly at it the pipe is
above your head (not over the panel).

Hope this helps,
Amy

I dont see any problem except moisture dripping on your head when you
fix a tripped breaker. Put some insulation on the pipe, at least in
that spot. Problem solved.

Jim