Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bronze Pump

I used to like to buy bronze pumps because you could always repair
them. Guess what, you can’t get parts for them anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
I used to like to buy bronze pumps because you could always repair
them. Guess what, you can’t get parts for them anymore.

I find it hard to believe that parts can't be obtained for ANY bronze pumps

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
I used to like to buy bronze pumps because you could always repair
them. Guess what, you can’t get parts for them anymore.

I find it hard to believe that parts can't be obtained for ANY bronze
pumps

Personally, I prefer loafers in any color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 6:20*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
I used to like to buy bronze pumps because you could always repair
them. Guess what, you can’t get parts for them anymore.

That is not true.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 16:20:54 -0800 (PST), Molly Brown
wrote:

I used to like to buy bronze pumps because you could always repair
them. Guess what, you can’t get parts for them anymore.

A bronze pump is no more repairable than any other pump of
similar design.

What manufacturer of a bronze pumps are you talking about?
Why are you using bronze? What specifically are you trying to
repair?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 4:20*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
I used to like to buy bronze pumps because you could always repair
them. Guess what, you can’t get parts for them anymore.

BELL AND GOSSETT

BRONZE BODY CIRCULATOR
SLC-25B
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:39:20 -0800 (PST), Molly Brown
wrote:

On Jan 4, 4:20*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
I used to like to buy bronze pumps because you could always repair
them. Guess what, you can’t get parts for them anymore.

BELL AND GOSSETT

BRONZE BODY CIRCULATOR
SLC-25B

For $100 you can replace the whole pump with an current model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
On Jan 4, 4:20 pm, Molly Brown wrote:
I used to like to buy bronze pumps because you could always repair
them. Guess what, you can’t get parts for them anymore.

BELL AND GOSSETT

BRONZE BODY CIRCULATOR
SLC-25B

That's an old pump and it is obsolete. It's been replaced by NBF-22. Bronze
pumps are considerably more expensive than iron pumps, and parts for either
should be obtainable if the pump is current. Unless you have a need for
Bronze, you could save some $$

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 4:01*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Molly Brown" wrote in message

On Jan 4, 4:20 pm, Molly Brown wrote:

Funny, I always thought that current was the opposite of obsolete.
Bronze as a metal doesn’t seem to get obsolete; it’s still expensive
as heck. Sure I want to save money; that’s why I thought I bought a
good quality pump that I could repair.

That's an old pump and it is obsolete. It's been replaced by NBF-22. Bronze
pumps are considerably more expensive than iron pumps, and parts for either
should be obtainable if the pump is current. Unless you have a need for
Bronze, you could save some $$

Posted to alt.home.repair

snip
Bronze as a metal doesn’t seem to get obsolete; it’s still expensive
as heck. Sure I want to save money; that’s why I thought I bought a
good quality pump that I could repair.

The extra cost of bronze can only be explained by code requirements
or an irrational concern about lead content in a cast iron pump. It
has nothing to do with being easier to repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 3:46*am, wrote:
snipBronze as a metal doesn’t seem to get obsolete; it’s still expensive
as heck. Sure I want to save money; that’s why I thought I bought a
good quality pump that I could repair.

*The extra cost of bronze can only be explained by code requirements
or an irrational concern about lead content in a cast iron pump. It
has nothing to do with being easier to repair.

I have many 50yr and 1, 80 yr old bronze pumps now working, no cast
pump would have been working 30 years ago, they would have rusted
away. Its more than code its simple longevity and knowing you have
less to worry about. I clean them, replace switches and wires, and
motors, remove garbage from the pit, but no new pumps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 3:46 am, wrote:
snipBronze as a metal doesn’t seem to get obsolete; it’s still expensive
as heck. Sure I want to save money; that’s why I thought I bought a
good quality pump that I could repair.

The extra cost of bronze can only be explained by code requirements
or an irrational concern about lead content in a cast iron pump. It
has nothing to do with being easier to repair.

I have many 50yr and 1, 80 yr old bronze pumps now working, no cast
pump would have been working 30 years ago, they would have rusted
away. Its more than code its simple longevity and knowing you have
less to worry about. I clean them, replace switches and wires, and
motors, remove garbage from the pit, but no new pumps.

You are comparing a domestic hydronic circulator pump with a sump pump. It
isn't sitting submerged in a pit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 2:04*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Jan 6, 3:46 am, wrote:

snipBronze as a metal doesn’t seem to get obsolete; it’s still expensive
as heck. Sure I want to save money; that’s why I thought I bought a
good quality pump that I could repair.

The extra cost of bronze can only be explained by code requirements
or an irrational concern about lead content in a cast iron pump. It
has nothing to do with being easier to repair.

I have many 50yr and 1, 80 yr old bronze pumps now working, no cast
pump would have been working 30 years ago, they would have rusted
away. Its more than code its simple longevity and knowing you have
less to worry about. I clean them, replace switches and wires, and
motors, remove garbage from the pit, but no new pumps.

You are comparing a domestic hydronic circulator pump with a sump pump. It
isn't sitting submerged in a pit

Exactly. I was expecting to use it for 160 years since it WASN’T
sitting submerged in a pit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 2:04 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Jan 6, 3:46 am, wrote:

[...]

But it wasn't the bronze that wore out. The parts that wear out are the same
as those on iron pumps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 2:04 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message

On Jan 6, 3:46 am, wrote:

[...]

as those on iron pumps.- Hide quoted text -

Right again. Thanks to companies like Bell and Gossett I am not
getting my money’s worth from the bronze pump because they don’t care
enough about their product as much as I did to keep making parts for
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

But it wasn't the bronze that wore out. The parts that wear out are the same
as those on iron pumps.- Hide quoted text -

Right again. Thanks to companies like Bell and Gossett I am not
getting my money’s worth from the bronze pump because they don’t care
enough about their product as much as I did to keep making parts for
it.

Just exactly what needs to be replaced? Bearings, shaft, seal,
gaskets, impeller, coupling, housing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 4:39*am, wrote:
But it wasn't the bronze that wore out. The parts that wear out are the same
as those on iron pumps.- Hide quoted text -

Right again. Thanks to companies like Bell and Gossett I am not
getting my money’s worth from the bronze pump because they don’t care
enough about their product as much as I did to keep making parts for
it.

Just exactly what needs to be replaced? Bearings, shaft, seal,
gaskets, impeller, coupling, housing?

Seals, gasket and impeller.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 01:32:17 -0800 (PST), Molly Brown
wrote:

On Jan 7, 4:39*am, wrote:
But it wasn't the bronze that wore out. The parts that wear out are the same
as those on iron pumps.- Hide quoted text -

Right again. Thanks to companies like Bell and Gossett I am not
getting my money’s worth from the bronze pump because they don’t care
enough about their product as much as I did to keep making parts for
it.

Just exactly what needs to be replaced? Bearings, shaft, seal,
gaskets, impeller, coupling, housing?

Seals, gasket and impeller.

Aftermarket seals that will fit the dimensions of that pump will
always be available. You can make your own gaskets. Are you
sure the parts for the cast iron variety of that pump doesn't include
a stainless impeller that will fit yours?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jan 7, 4:39*am, wrote:
But it wasn't the bronze that wore out. The parts that wear out are the same
as those on iron pumps.- Hide quoted text -

Right again. Thanks to companies like Bell and Gossett I am not
getting my money’s worth from the bronze pump because they don’t care
enough about their product as much as I did to keep making parts for
it.

Just exactly what needs to be replaced? Bearings, shaft, seal,
gaskets, impeller, coupling, housing?

Seals, gasket and impeller.

You may already have this info but can you find the impeller he

http://www.bellgossett.com/literature/files/2922.pdf

http://www.bellgossett.com/literature/files/2926.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 7, 4:39*am, wrote:
But it wasn't the bronze that wore out. The parts that wear out are the same
as those on iron pumps.- Hide quoted text -

Right again. Thanks to companies like Bell and Gossett I am not
getting my money’s worth from the bronze pump because they don’t care
enough about their product as much as I did to keep making parts for
it.

Just exactly what needs to be replaced? Bearings, shaft, seal,
gaskets, impeller, coupling, housing?

Seals, gasket and impeller.

You may already have this info but can you find the impeller he

http://www.bellgossett.com/literature/files/2922.pdf

http://www.bellgossett.com/literature/files/2926.pdf- Hide quoted text -

What you got there isn't even close to what I got.