Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Bronze Pump

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 2:04 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Jan 6, 3:46 am, wrote:

snipBronze as a metal doesn’t seem to get obsolete; it’s still
expensive
as heck. Sure I want to save money; that’s why I thought I bought a
good quality pump that I could repair.

The extra cost of bronze can only be explained by code requirements
or an irrational concern about lead content in a cast iron pump. It
has nothing to do with being easier to repair.

I have many 50yr and 1, 80 yr old bronze pumps now working, no cast
pump would have been working 30 years ago, they would have rusted
away. Its more than code its simple longevity and knowing you have
less to worry about. I clean them, replace switches and wires, and
motors, remove garbage from the pit, but no new pumps.

You are comparing a domestic hydronic circulator pump with a sump pump. It
isn't sitting submerged in a pit

Exactly. I was expecting to use it for 160 years since it WASN’T
sitting submerged in a pit.

But it wasn't the bronze that wore out. The parts that wear out are the same
as those on iron pumps.