Posted to alt.home.repair

Default window question

I have a old farm house with wood windows and 6 pains in each top and
bottom, not new but very old
I installed plastic on the inside and have pretty good storms on the
outside, why do I have ice on the outside
of the storms, mostly in the corners working to the middle

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 2:41*am, L @¿@ K wrote:
I have a old farm house with wood windows and 6 pains in each top and
bottom, not new but very old
I installed plastic on the inside and have pretty good storms on the
outside, why do I have ice on the outside
of the storms, mostly in the corners working to the middle

Maybe warm air going through uninsulated wall and air leaks in frame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 03:41:51 -0500, L @¿@ K
wrote:

I have a old farm house with wood windows and 6 pains in each top and
bottom, not new but very old
I installed plastic on the inside and have pretty good storms on the
outside, why do I have ice on the outside
of the storms, mostly in the corners working to the middle

Well I would suggest that those storms are not very well
sealed. In any case the window is below freezing. The plastic keeps
the warm room air from warming the primary window so it is staying
below freezing. Now add enough moist air from inside to get to that
primary window and you get ice.

Even though the air in side may be low humidity, it is not
likely to be low enough not to condense and freeze on that primary
window.

Without the plastic you would likely have cold wet windows.
Without the storm windows, it would be what you have now, only worse.

The comment about the air leaking though the walls has merit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a old farm house with wood windows and 6 pains in each top and
bottom, not new but very old
I installed plastic on the inside and have pretty good storms on the
outside, why do I have ice on the outside of the storms, mostly in the
corners working to the middle

Well I would suggest that those storms are not very well
sealed. In any case the window is below freezing. The plastic keeps the
warm room air from warming the primary window so it is staying below
freezing. Now add enough moist air from inside to get to that primary
window and you get ice.
{snip}

The comment about the air leaking though the walls has merit.

I am having problems with OP's comment about the frost is on the outside
of the storm windows. Frost on the insides of the storm Windows, yes I
can come up with several standard answers. But on the outside of the
storms?

I keep thinking of old broken down window glazing putty is leaking cool
moist air from around the edges on panes of glass. I thought that leak
is supposed to be stopped by that small thin bead of glazing compound
that is put down in the sash rabbit before placing the glass into the
rabbit. I could be wrong.

Looking for additional comments from group as could be educational thread.

window question L @¿@ K Woodworking 5 January 3rd 09 02:15 AM
Window question Dano Home Repair 1 October 16th 06 12:33 AM
Window question Jim G Home Repair 7 December 8th 05 08:24 PM
window ac timer question T.B. Home Ownership 2 April 14th 05 01:37 AM
window question Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 6 April 13th 05 02:19 AM