Posted to rec.woodworking

Default window question

I have a old farm house with wood windows and 6 pains in each top and
bottom, not new but very old
I installed plastic on the inside and have pretty good storms on the
outside, why do I have ice on the outside
of the storms, mostly in the corners working to the middle

Posted to rec.woodworking

"L @¿@ K" wrote in message
I have a old farm house with wood windows and 6 pains in each top and
bottom, not new but very old
I installed plastic on the inside and have pretty good storms on the
outside, why do I have ice on the outside
of the storms, mostly in the corners working to the middle

Because it is freezing outside.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The house I grew up in was like that. Get up in the morning and there
were FANTASTIC frost pictures on the storm windows.

Ice is formed when air with some moisture content meets a surface cold
enuf to freeze the water out of the air.

Usually the heat leaking from the house keeps the outside of the
storms warm enuf so that there is no frost. If yours are really
frosting up on the outside surface, congratulations, your house is
keeping its heat to itself instead of warming the outdoors.

Its more likely that the frost is on the inside surface of the outside
storm. Warm air (with some moisture content) from the house leaks
into the space between the windows, and when it hits the cold outside
pane, its moisture freezes. The ice is thinner at the middle because
the middle of the storm window is warmer than the edges. More heat is
leaking from the house through the glass than through the frame.

How to fix? Unless you want to spend big bucks on a new replacement
window installation, you can't. Wait for global warming to arrive.

Old Guy

On Jan 2, 2:42*am, L @¿@ K wrote:
I have a old farm house with wood windows and 6 pains in each top and
bottom, not new but very old
I installed plastic on the inside and have pretty good storms on the
outside, why do I have ice on the outside
of the storms, mostly in the corners working to the middle

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Because it is freezing outside.

It took a guy from Houston to figure it out. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Because it is freezing outside.

It took a guy from Houston to figure it out. G

It seemed straight forward enough. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Assumuing you mean "the inside of the storm window":
I's assume its leakage of heated moist (house air) through the inner
walls into the space between inner and outer wall. There are probably
cracks in the paint on the sides of the window casings that let some of
that moist air into the space between the inner and outer glassed
spaces. And, since the moisture will always condense on the coldest
surface around, it attaches itself to the outer (storm) window.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

L @¿@ K wrote:

I have a old farm house with wood windows and 6 pains in each top and
bottom, not new but very old
I installed plastic on the inside and have pretty good storms on the
outside, why do I have ice on the outside
of the storms, mostly in the corners working to the middle

Window replacement question JoeSpareBedroom Home Repair 4 February 23rd 08 04:14 AM
Window question Dano Home Repair 1 October 16th 06 12:33 AM
Window question Jim G Home Repair 7 December 8th 05 08:24 PM
OT - Replacement Window Question Rob McConachie Woodworking 4 October 19th 05 06:01 PM
window question Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 6 April 13th 05 02:19 AM