Eric and Megan Swope

Default window question

Hi everyone. I am replacing 2 windows in my dining room. The windows are
side by side, but operate separately (each are opened separately, have their
own screens, etc.), but here is my question. Are these windows that are
side by side 2 single windows purchased separately, but mounted side by
side, or do the 2 windows come as one whole unit (piece) already placed and
attached side by side when purchased from the store?
Thanks
Eric

Alexander Galkin

Buy double window. In double window one side of the frame is shared by two
adjacent windows. Entire frame is manufactured at the factory. It is much
easier to install then two windows separately, I also like how double window
looks. I installed myself two Andersen casement double windows in my house
and like them very much.

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
Hi everyone. I am replacing 2 windows in my dining room. The windows are
side by side, but operate separately (each are opened separately, have
their own screens, etc.), but here is my question. Are these windows that
are side by side 2 single windows purchased separately, but mounted side
by side, or do the 2 windows come as one whole unit (piece) already placed
and attached side by side when purchased from the store?
Thanks
Eric

johnny

"John€°] wrote
What you have is a "mulled pair", that is a pair of windows joined by a
mullion into a single unit. When you go window shopping, tell them you
have a mulled pair and they will know exactly what you are talking
about. Be aware that the mullion may add anywhere from 3/8" to 3/4" to
the overall width depending on the type and brand of window so be sure
and ask the window dealer how wide the unit will be with the mullion.

John

Ummmmmm, some windows especially in older construction are _not_ mulled.
Assuming they are mulled you would be correct, but as we all know,
assumption is a bad thing to do. The OP would be wise to get someone to put
a visual on the project b/4 ordering mulled windows, otherwise they may find
themselves in a bigger project than they need to tackle. I see single units
side by side in homes 30 years young, being divided by 2"x material in
between. If the header doesn't run the full length of both windows, you
don't cut out the center divide unless you want to make the project a little
more challenging by putting in a full length header.

Eric and Megan Swope

Thanks for your advice and info guys. Alexander, you talked about double
casement windows. I have one of these in my kitchen, each side has a handle
to open the window, but it is not what I would consider a full size window.
The windows I have now slide up and down to open, and without getting out
the tape measure at this point, I would guess the windows are 36" high, 24"
wide. Are double casements made in a normal window size. My home is 60
years old, so looking at it, I imagine these are the originals, and probably
have a piece of 2 x something between.
"johnny" wrote in message

[...]

johnny

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote
Thanks for your advice and info guys. Alexander, you talked about double
casement windows. I have one of these in my kitchen, each side has a

handle
to open the window, but it is not what I would consider a full size

window.
The windows I have now slide up and down to open, and without getting out
the tape measure at this point, I would guess the windows are 36" high,

24"
wide. Are double casements made in a normal window size. My home is 60
years old, so looking at it, I imagine these are the originals, and

probably
have a piece of 2 x something between.

Eric,

You may have double/single hung which are mulled together, or you may have
double/single hung which is one unit but looks like two with a center
divider, or you may have two units with a 2x divider. You should have
someone look to see exactly what you're dealing with.

Here is a link to Andersen (name for example only, not endorsing the
product) stock sizes of casements to use as an example. If nothing else, you
can mull around their site of different window styles. Keep in mind, you
can get just about any configeration custom made by just about any window
manufacturer.
http://www.andersenwindows.com/UE/Pr...BasicUnits.asp

Eric and Megan Swope

Thanks for your help johnny. You definitely gave me lots of information. I
am glad you answered my question. Anytime I have gone to Lowe's or Home
Depot, I have never seen what you mentioned, one window unit, but looks like
two separate windows with the center divider, but I will take your word for
it, especially since I haven't really looked for them. I imagine these
would be easier to install, if this is an option for me, than doing the two
single units mulled, or two single units with a 2x divider. Now that I know
they exist, it will give me more options. Is this something a professional
can tell right away by looking at the window setup, or will he have to take
off the moulding to get a look at the rough opening?

"johnny" wrote in message

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote
[...]

johnny

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote
[...]

Any window installer should be able to measure without pulling casing off.
Most remodelers would be able to tell you also.