Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window replacement question

I'm 8-12 months away from replacing some windows. But in the meantime, I
need to replace the window coverings in one room. Whatever style I get,
they'll be mounted to the wall outside of the molding. "Pocket replacement"
is the way I'll go with these windows. For purposes of measuring the window
coverings, can I safely assume that the molding surround won't change in
size, so I can avoid buying window coverings twice? I'm already planning to
leave an extra inch or so above and on either side of the molding surround.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 22, 10:40*am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
I'm 8-12 months away from replacing some windows. But in the meantime, I
need to replace the window coverings in one room. Whatever style I get,
they'll be mounted to the wall outside of the molding. "Pocket replacement"
is the way I'll go with these windows. For purposes of measuring the window
coverings, can I safely assume that the molding surround won't change in
size, so I can avoid buying window coverings twice? I'm already planning to
leave an extra inch or so above and on either side of the molding surround..

Decide which window brand to buy, then discuss the problem with
customer service. Odds are your present idea will work fine, though.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
I'm 8-12 months away from replacing some windows. But in the meantime, I
need to replace the window coverings in one room. Whatever style I get,
they'll be mounted to the wall outside of the molding. "Pocket
replacement" is the way I'll go with these windows. For purposes of
measuring the window coverings, can I safely assume that the molding
surround won't change in size, so I can avoid buying window coverings
twice? I'm already planning to leave an extra inch or so above and on
either side of the molding surround.

Provided you do not replace the casing around the window with a larger size
than is currently there you should be fine.

Wall mounted WT items are usually at least 1" to the left and right of the
casing and at least 2" above the casing.

If you need some help with the measures, post back or email. I have done WT
installs for 22 years now.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message

[...]

I've got quite a bit of "slop" planned. This room gets a lot of sun before
noon, and my main customer (teenage son) says it keeps him from sleeping
until noon on weekends. If he had his way, the WT would be a foot wider and
higher than the window, and black. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 11:40 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
I'm 8-12 months away from replacing some windows. But in the meantime, I
need to replace the window coverings in one room. Whatever style I get,
they'll be mounted to the wall outside of the molding. "Pocket replacement"
is the way I'll go with these windows. For purposes of measuring the window
coverings, can I safely assume that the molding surround won't change in
size, so I can avoid buying window coverings twice? I'm already planning to
leave an extra inch or so above and on either side of the molding surround.

The molding won't change at all if they're pocket replacement
windows. I've had 12 done in my house over the past two years and
nothing has changed outside of the window pocket. That's one of the
nice things about replacement windows, is that you get to keep your
old molding and preserve the style of your house. (It can be tough to
find window installers that do certain types of moldings these days,
especially the simpler, chunkier, older styles.)

- Jeff