Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default window question

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 03:41:51 -0500, L @¿@ K
wrote:

I have a old farm house with wood windows and 6 pains in each top and
bottom, not new but very old
I installed plastic on the inside and have pretty good storms on the
outside, why do I have ice on the outside
of the storms, mostly in the corners working to the middle

Well I would suggest that those storms are not very well
sealed. In any case the window is below freezing. The plastic keeps
the warm room air from warming the primary window so it is staying
below freezing. Now add enough moist air from inside to get to that
primary window and you get ice.

Even though the air in side may be low humidity, it is not
likely to be low enough not to condense and freeze on that primary
window.

Without the plastic you would likely have cold wet windows.
Without the storm windows, it would be what you have now, only worse.

The comment about the air leaking though the walls has merit.