Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

T.B.

Default window ac timer question

i have a window ac that i want to turn on at a certain time to cool my
apartment before I get home from work, but can't get it to work with the
digital time I bought from home depot. it doesn't turn on the unit when the
timer turns on.

how can i accomplish this?

thanks in advance,
TB

Chip C

T.B. wrote:
i have a window ac that i want to turn on at a certain time to cool

my
apartment before I get home from work, but can't get it to work with

the
digital time I bought from home depot. it doesn't turn on the unit

when the
timer turns on.

how can i accomplish this?

thanks in advance,
TB

Do an experiment: set the timer aside and simply plug in the a/c to the
wall. Does it come on? If not, either the controls aren't set
correctly, or the unit is one that requires a button to be pushed
*after* power is applied. If it's the latter, I think you're out of
luck.

If the unit comes on when you plug it in, but *not* with the timer,
then I'd guess the timer is insufficient to the load of the a/c. Check
the amps or watts ratings of the timer. A/C units draw a lot of power;
if there isn't a watts or amps rating marked on it, assume it's 15 Amps
or at least 1200 Watts, which is the most you can draw from a normal
household circuit. Your timer should be rated for that.

However, you may find that setting the unit to run all day, but at a
low setting (ie, not very cold, and low fan speed) keeps the room comfy
and uses less power than having it come on full blast just before you
get home. At least that's the advice that came with my a/c unit a
couple of years ago. It's an "efficient" model that simply doesn't have
a "full blast" mode.

Many new a/c units have digital timers built in, but I'm sure you'd
prefer to use the one that's already paid for.

Chip C
Toronto (where it's way too early to worry about a/c)

T.B.

"Chip C" wrote in message
oups.com...
T.B. wrote:
i have a window ac that i want to turn on at a certain time to cool

my
apartment before I get home from work, but can't get it to work with

the
digital time I bought from home depot. it doesn't turn on the unit

when the
timer turns on.

how can i accomplish this?

thanks in advance,
TB

Do an experiment: set the timer aside and simply plug in the a/c to the
wall. Does it come on? If not, either the controls aren't set
correctly, or the unit is one that requires a button to be pushed
*after* power is applied. If it's the latter, I think you're out of
luck.

this is a unit that require me to push a power button after it is plugged
in. it has a digital front panel interface.

If the unit comes on when you plug it in, but *not* with the timer,
then I'd guess the timer is insufficient to the load of the a/c. Check
the amps or watts ratings of the timer. A/C units draw a lot of power;
if there isn't a watts or amps rating marked on it, assume it's 15 Amps
or at least 1200 Watts, which is the most you can draw from a normal
household circuit. Your timer should be rated for that.

my timer is rated for 15A, but i don't think it's the timer causing the
trouble.

Many new a/c units have digital timers built in, but I'm sure you'd
prefer to use the one that's already paid for.

this one does have a digital timer built in, but the way it works is that
you have to turn the unit on, then can choose a number 1-12 (hours)
that will keep it on for that long; whichever you choose. the thing is that
you have to physically be there to turn it on before you can set the timer
which doesn't work in this application. either that or i don't understand
the timer. it's like a Sleep timer on a radio...

Replacement window question DJ Home Repair 4 February 8th 05 04:13 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
The Twisted Rod window system question - more appropriate post chillermfg Home Repair 0 November 16th 04 07:58 PM
Installing a new window without casing Wayne Whitney Home Repair 0 June 7th 04 06:13 PM
Bricking up bodged window installation [email protected] UK diy 2 February 25th 04 04:13 PM