Posted to alt.home.repair

Default coax cable failure...?

someone 'splain this to me...

sitting here on the couch, TV is ****ing me off, going all pixellated at
odd intervals. Finally got bad enough that I was considering calling
the cable company but before I did I went over to the rack and started
touching all the cables to make sure they were tight. Got to the coax
going into the back of the cable box, it was tight, but touching the
cable would make the signal drop out. Unscrewed it, bent the center
conductor slightly to have it make better contact, reinstalled. Still
pixellates and audio drops out. went over to the "electrical section"
of my basement, grabbed some RG6 quad, whipped myself up a 6 foot cable.
Installed it in place of the old cable from the surge suppressor to
the cable box. Perfect picture. What gives? I'm sure the old cord was
the one that came with the cable box - 2 yrs. old. How could a piece of
solid copper suddenly just "go bad?" I'm not complaining as it was an
easy fix, but still, it's pretty weird. Old cable meters OK, too... but
doesn't work. weird.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel, 12/27/2008,10:55:54 PM, wrote:

[...]

Possibly a bad crimp on the connector. It happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
[...]

I metered the shield too, about .3 ohm on my Fluke. That's why I'm
confused. I realize that I've fixed the issue but it bugs me when I
can't figure out what the issue is. There's that little doubt in my
mind that I didn't really find it, that I was just faked out by the
signal happening to weaken just when I messed with the old cable (I
know, I did it several times and it always followed, but still) and that
it's actually somewhere else...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Dec 27, 9:55*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

A too short center conductor that was barely making contact?

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

[...]

Did you happen to try putting the "bad" cable back in to see what happened?

And, I doubt that you'd miss this, but when ohming out the "bad" cable
did you check for a short between the center conductor and the shield?
(I don't see how there could be a shortwithout the cable having been
crunched VERY badly somewhere along its length, or maybe a real sloppy
job of attaching one of the connectors, with a strand of the shield
sticking through the center hole, but it's worth thinking about.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

[...]

No, I literally am posting this from my couch, immediately after
installing the new cable... but I haven't noticed a single audio
dropout since, nor pixellation (but I haven't been actually watching the
TV consistently)

And, I doubt that you'd miss this, but when ohming out the "bad"
cable did you check for a short between the center conductor and the
shield? (I don't see how there could be a shortwithout the cable
having been crunched VERY badly somewhere along its length, or maybe
a real sloppy job of attaching one of the connectors, with a strand
of the shield sticking through the center hole, but it's worth
thinking about.)

I did, it was several megs.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 1:22*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Question about coax generally.
Suppose one has some older coax (RG8 actually) and the braid etc looks
like it once got wet but is now long dried out. It shows continuity
end to end of both centre conductor and shield.
If it also show a high insulation resistance, your post suggest
several meg-ohms, between centre and shield, is your opinion that it
would it be usable. Especially at frequencies below 100 megahertz?
Just curious; cos got a length like that just lying around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

I do know that my cable company discouraged the use of "substandard" cables,
like those from Rat Shack. They were happy to give me cables (a few years back)
rather than have me buy others. It apparently doesn't take much of a defect to
cause bad reflections or such.

I just added a couple QAM digital capable tuners to my PC home theatre computer.
I ended up doing a lot of fussing with my cable amplifier, splitters and cables
to get good reception on all the digital channels, eliminating the gaps in the
video I initially had. I suspect it's still a little iffy. I may need a better
amplifier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

It's really amazing what can effect a piece of coax. Back when I worked
at a cable company, we did a standard demo for the new installers - we
would cut a fresh length of coax, like 6' or so, put the F connectors on
it and then attach it to the sweep tester. With the fresh piece of coax,
they could see the reference trace and the test trace on the screen,
looking pretty parallel. Then we'd flex the coax, bend it fairly
tightly, squeeze it with pliers, etc. and they could visually see the
dramatic effect it had on the signal. This was with an old sweep tester
too, that didn't go up nearly as high as the GHz signals on today's
cable systems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 10:55*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

What happens when you bypass the surge supressor, does it still
pixelate with the old cable?
The only explanation is that cable companies are adding more channels
on that cable. And if that old cable was anything other than RG6 or
better, it will be starved for bandwidth. RG59 is not ideal for HD
channels.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Runnng RG-6 from a new antenna recently, I had intermittent problems and
found that I had nicked the center conductor at one of the terminations.
The center conductor had separated, but pushing it into the connector made
contact for a time. The break showed up when the wire was wiggled. The
copper used for the center conductor seems rather brittle, not like other
copper wire which can take much more bending.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 12:38�pm, "TKM" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

TKM- Hide quoted text -

connectors can get nearly invisible corrosion. used to have that
problem
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Bob F wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,
Such a test is also useful to weed out poor quality cable.
On real high frequency we use hard coax or waveguide.

Is my coax cable bad? miamicuse Home Repair 10 April 17th 14 01:44 AM
Cable TV and coax splitters - Hookup splitter to Digital Cable JTT Home Repair 1 August 24th 07 03:15 AM
Coax cable Grumps UK diy 10 June 13th 05 10:44 AM
extending coax cable to cable-modem Rick UK diy 15 February 23rd 05 11:44 AM
For the Cable Guys: Coax cable Splitter Q. Michael Stoic Home Repair 6 January 25th 05 02:28 PM