Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default coax cable failure...?

On Dec 28, 1:22*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

Nate Nagel, 12/27/2008,10:55:54 PM, wrote:

someone 'splain this to me...

sitting here on the couch, TV is ****ing me off, going all
pixellated at odd intervals. *Finally got bad enough that I was
considering calling the cable company but before I did I went
over to the rack and started touching all the cables to make
sure they were tight. Got to the coax going into the back of
the cable box, it was tight, but touching the cable would make
the signal drop out. *Unscrewed it, bent the center conductor
slightly to have it make better contact, reinstalled. *Still
pixellates and audio drops out. *went over to the "electrical
section" of my basement, grabbed some RG6 quad, whipped myself
up a 6 foot cable. * *Installed it in place of the old cable
from the surge suppressor to the cable box. *Perfect picture.
What gives? *I'm sure the old cord was the one that came with
the cable box - 2 yrs. old. *How could a piece of solid copper
suddenly just "go bad?" *I'm not complaining as it was an easy
fix, but still, it's pretty weird. *Old cable meters OK, too...
but doesn't work. *weird.

nate

Possibly a bad crimp on the connector. *It happens.

I metered the shield too, about .3 ohm on my Fluke. *That's why I'm
*confused. *I realize that I've fixed the issue but it bugs me when
I can't figure out what the issue is. *There's that little doubt in
my mind that I didn't really find it, that I was just faked out by
the signal happening to weaken just when I messed with the old
cable (I know, I did it several times and it always followed, but
still) and that it's actually somewhere else...

nate

Did you happen to try putting the "bad" cable back in to see what
happened?

No, I literally am posting this from my couch, immediately after
installing the new cable... *but I haven't noticed a single audio
dropout since, nor pixellation (but I haven't been actually watching the
TV consistently)

And, I doubt that you'd miss this, but when ohming out the "bad"
cable did you check for a short between the center conductor and the
shield? (I don't see how there could be a shortwithout the cable
having been crunched VERY badly somewhere along its length, or maybe
a real sloppy job of attaching one of the connectors, with a strand
of the shield sticking through the center hole, but it's worth
thinking about.)

I did, it was several megs.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Question about coax generally.
Suppose one has some older coax (RG8 actually) and the braid etc looks
like it once got wet but is now long dried out. It shows continuity
end to end of both centre conductor and shield.
If it also show a high insulation resistance, your post suggest
several meg-ohms, between centre and shield, is your opinion that it
would it be usable. Especially at frequencies below 100 megahertz?
Just curious; cos got a length like that just lying around.