Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

Default coax cable failure...?

On Dec 27, 9:55*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
someone 'splain this to me...

sitting here on the couch, TV is ****ing me off, going all pixellated at
odd intervals. *Finally got bad enough that I was considering calling
the cable company but before I did I went over to the rack and started
touching all the cables to make sure they were tight. *Got to the coax
going into the back of the cable box, it was tight, but touching the
cable would make the signal drop out. *Unscrewed it, bent the center
conductor slightly to have it make better contact, reinstalled. *Still
pixellates and audio drops out. *went over to the "electrical section"
of my basement, grabbed some RG6 quad, whipped myself up a 6 foot cable.
* *Installed it in place of the old cable from the surge suppressor to
the cable box. *Perfect picture. *What gives? *I'm sure the old cord was
the one that came with the cable box - 2 yrs. old. *How could a piece of
solid copper suddenly just "go bad?" *I'm not complaining as it was an
easy fix, but still, it's pretty weird. *Old cable meters OK, too... but
doesn't work. *weird.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

A too short center conductor that was barely making contact?

KC