Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default coax cable failure...?

someone 'splain this to me...

sitting here on the couch, TV is ****ing me off, going all pixellated at
odd intervals. Finally got bad enough that I was considering calling
the cable company but before I did I went over to the rack and started
touching all the cables to make sure they were tight. Got to the coax
going into the back of the cable box, it was tight, but touching the
cable would make the signal drop out. Unscrewed it, bent the center
conductor slightly to have it make better contact, reinstalled. Still
pixellates and audio drops out. went over to the "electrical section"
of my basement, grabbed some RG6 quad, whipped myself up a 6 foot cable.
Installed it in place of the old cable from the surge suppressor to
the cable box. Perfect picture. What gives? I'm sure the old cord was
the one that came with the cable box - 2 yrs. old. How could a piece of
solid copper suddenly just "go bad?" I'm not complaining as it was an
easy fix, but still, it's pretty weird. Old cable meters OK, too... but
doesn't work. weird.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.