Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sony Plasma takes 100 goes to turn on

On Thu 25 Dec 2008 12:47:01p, Johno222 told us...

It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and it
tries to turn on but doesnt.

Was there a point to this statement?

Oh, yes, a reminder not to buy one.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 11hrs 16mins
This is a Tagline mirrorrorrim enilgaT a si sihT
Posted to alt.home.repair

It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and it
tries to turn on but doesnt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 06:47:01 +1100, Johno222 wrote:
It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and it
tries to turn on but doesnt.

Toss it in the trash. Any other remedy is beyond your technical
skills. You don't seem to even have the skills required to call a
repairman, contact sony, post to an appropriate newsgroup or even post
your TV's model number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Johno222 wrote:
It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and it
tries to turn on but doesnt.

Hi,
Do you have a set of fresh batteries in the remote? Then wiped clean the
sensor lens at the TV end? Then have to figure out whether sensor is
weak or remote os bad. There are many cheap universal code learning
remote in the market which will replace OEM remote. I use Harmony remote
to control all components on my home theater set up. Hrmony controls
everything with one touch of a button. Works very well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 19:45:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 11hrs 16mins

And 26 days until we have a new president.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and it
tries to turn on but doesnt.

That reminds me of my RCA TV. It turns on, but 75% or so of the time
turns itself back off in a second.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 25 Dec 2008 04:17:26p, Gary H told us...

wrote:

Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 11hrs 16mins

And 26 days until we have a new president.

And that *will* make it a New Year. Thank God!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 7hrs 38mins
I hate it when that happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote in
:

wrote:

It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times
and it tries to turn on but doesnt.

That reminds me of my RCA TV. It turns on, but 75% or so of the time
turns itself back off in a second.

Maybe the remote is a lot smarter than you think. It knows that 75% of the
time there's really none of the 200 stations worth watching.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:30:38 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote in
:

wrote:

It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times
and it tries to turn on but doesnt.

That reminds me of my RCA TV. It turns on, but 75% or so of the time
turns itself back off in a second.

Maybe the remote is a lot smarter than you think. It knows that 75% of the
time there's really none of the 200 stations worth watching.

I just got an RCA 12 or 15 inch at a yard sale last summer, for a
dollar, and it takes 10 seconds to 2.5 hours to turn on.

The remote works fine for other things, but because of the delay, I'm
not sure if it works at all for the on function.

The button on the set does this.

And unswitching and switching the power cord seemed to work pretty
well, but tonight took at least a half hour. Then I unswitched it
again so it won't go on while I'm sleeping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 25 Dec 2008 08:30:52p, mm told us...

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:30:38 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote in
m:

wrote:

It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times
and it tries to turn on but doesnt.

That reminds me of my RCA TV. It turns on, but 75% or so of the time
turns itself back off in a second.

Maybe the remote is a lot smarter than you think. It knows that 75% of

the
time there's really none of the 200 stations worth watching.

I just got an RCA 12 or 15 inch at a yard sale last summer, for a
dollar, and it takes 10 seconds to 2.5 hours to turn on.

The remote works fine for other things, but because of the delay, I'm
not sure if it works at all for the on function.

The button on the set does this.

And unswitching and switching the power cord seemed to work pretty
well, but tonight took at least a half hour. Then I unswitched it
again so it won't go on while I'm sleeping.

I'd be guessing that's why you got it for a dollar at a yard sale. groan

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 3hrs 21mins
Hi. I'll be your tagline for this evening.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 03:40:40 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Thu 25 Dec 2008 08:30:52p, mm told us...
I just got an RCA 12 or 15 inch at a yard sale last summer, for a
dollar, and it takes 10 seconds to 2.5 hours to turn on.

The remote works fine for other things, but because of the delay, I'm
not sure if it works at all for the on function.

The button on the set does this.

And unswitching and switching the power cord seemed to work pretty
well, but tonight took at least a half hour. Then I unswitched it
again so it won't go on while I'm sleeping.

I'd be guessing that's why you got it for a dollar at a yard sale. groan

I know that. But the bathroom tv had broken and I needed another
small one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 13:54:39 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:
Johno222 wrote:
It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and it
tries to turn on but doesnt.

Hi,
Do you have a set of fresh batteries in the remote? Then wiped clean the
sensor lens at the TV end? Then have to figure out whether sensor is
weak or remote os bad. There are many cheap universal code learning
remote in the market which will replace OEM remote. I use Harmony remote
to control all components on my home theater set up. Hrmony controls
everything with one touch of a button. Works very well.

I doubt he has even located the button labeled "POWER" on the tv or
thought of trying to turn the tv on without using the remote at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Johno222 wrote:
It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and it
tries to turn on but doesnt.

Hi,
Do you have a set of fresh batteries in the remote? Then wiped clean the
sensor lens at the TV end? Then have to figure out whether sensor is
weak or remote os bad. There are many cheap universal code learning
remote in the market which will replace OEM remote. I use Harmony remote
to control all components on my home theater set up. Hrmony controls
everything with one touch of a button. Works very well.

I doubt he has even located the button labeled "POWER" on the tv or
thought of trying to turn the tv on without using the remote at all.

Yes there is a power button on the tv, all he has to do is push it
once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Johno222 wrote:
It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and it
tries to turn on but doesnt.

Hi,
Do you have a set of fresh batteries in the remote? Then wiped clean the
sensor lens at the TV end? Then have to figure out whether sensor is
weak or remote os bad. There are many cheap universal code learning
remote in the market which will replace OEM remote. I use Harmony remote
to control all components on my home theater set up. Hrmony controls
everything with one touch of a button. Works very well.

I doubt he has even located the button labeled "POWER" on the tv or
thought of trying to turn the tv on without using the remote at all.

Yes there is a power button on the tv, all he has to do is push it
once.

This is highly technical stuff! He might even need to locate a
flashlight only to discover that it requires batteries as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 11hrs 16mins

And 26 days until we have a new president.

And that *will* make it a New Year. Thank God!

I'm reminded of a bumper sticker that said "thank God I'm an atheist".
You might not understand it, but at least you got your brain engaged
and that's the point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 27 Dec 2008 12:32:32p, Gary H told us...

wrote:

Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 11hrs 16mins

And 26 days until we have a new president.

And that *will* make it a New Year. Thank God!

I'm reminded of a bumper sticker that said "thank God I'm an atheist".
You might not understand it, but at least you got your brain engaged
and that's the point.

I don't usually remember bumper stickers, but one I'll never forget said,
"Read the Bible, it'll scare the hell out of you."

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 12(XII)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till New Year's Eve
3dys 10hrs 53mins
Mow Mow Boppa Mow Mow Mow

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary H wrote in
:

wrote:

Today is: Christmas

Countdown till New Year's Eve

5dys 11hrs 16mins

And 26 days until we have a new president.

And that *will* make it a New Year. Thank God!

I'm reminded of a bumper sticker that said "thank God I'm an atheist".
You might not understand it, but at least you got your brain engaged
and that's the point.

Wasn't it Blood, Sweat & Tears that had the lyrics, "I swear thaere ain't
no Heaven but I pray there ain't no hell." :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 06:47:01 +1100, Johno222 wrote:

It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and
it tries to turn on but doesnt.

This one is for the "For What It Is Worth" files....

Turn off all lights in room and near by. Try remote again.

One of the table lamps in TV room has a three way fluorescent energy
saving light bulb. When that specific three way bulb is on, the remote
control for the cable TV box is useless. Doesn't matter which table lamp
the bulb is installed in, the remote (and the cable TV box) don't like
the interference.

Doubt this is OP's problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:27:01 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Gary H wrote in
:

wrote:

Today is: Christmas

Countdown till New Year's Eve

5dys 11hrs 16mins

And 26 days until we have a new president.

And that *will* make it a New Year. Thank God!

I'm reminded of a bumper sticker that said "thank God I'm an atheist".
You might not understand it, but at least you got your brain engaged
and that's the point.

Wasn't it Blood, Sweat & Tears that had the lyrics, "I swear thaere ain't
no Heaven but I pray there ain't no hell." :-)

Heaven and Hell appear to be interconnected. That is, the existence of
one depends on the existence on the other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:52:02 -0600, Gary H wrote:

Heaven and Hell appear to be interconnected. That is, the existence of
one depends on the existence on the other.

They're both fictional places from the same mythology. You might as
well argue about wether or not mordor and Gondor depend on each other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 2:47*pm, "Johno222" wrote:
It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and it
tries to turn on but doesnt.

Try new batteries in the remote, clean the batteries and battery
contacts when you install them, I use a little DeOxit then dont touch
with your fingers. I have often gotten them to work just by cleaning.
Get a cheap replacement remote. Clean the sensor on the TV Clean the
IR emitter on the remote, mine got filled with peanut butter, I hope
thats what it was. Ill let you decide the most logical order to
perform this in.

GAS LAWN MOWER TAKES 100 PULLS TO TURN OVER MRS. CLEAN Home Repair 35 November 23rd 06 03:12 AM
Sony Audio amplifier takes long to "warm up" [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 July 13th 05 11:05 PM
Sony Plasma Ken G. Electronics Repair 1 February 6th 05 06:24 PM
TV takes about a minute to turn on Tim Chreptak Electronics Repair 5 October 31st 03 10:20 PM
Sony Model KV-32XBR48 slow turn on and flashing video for short period at turn on Ron Novini Electronics Repair 4 September 20th 03 12:10 AM