Old January 29th 14, 06:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas fireplace won't start-up - pilot is lit

On 1/29/2014 9:44 AM, greg wrote:
replying to Tony Hwang , greg wrote:
dragon40 wrote:

Hi, 260 what? Volt DC, AC? Or Ohm reading?

millivolts. It was 220 this morning. Tested the TP terminals. From what I
am gathering this means I need a new thermopile?

I would. Should be above 300 *at* the thermostat. Replacement is the
cheapest, quick fix/test option. Hopefully the gas valve is not on
its way out, either.

Old January 29th 14, 09:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steve F. , greg wrote:
lost wrote:

I would. Should be above 300 *at* the thermostat. Replacement is the
cheapest, quick fix/test option. Hopefully the gas valve is not on
its way out, either.

Do you have a specific model or brand you recommend?

Old November 16th 15, 12:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I'm dealing with a similar problem. Bought the house this summer, and got the pilot light lit when fall came. Flipped on the wall switch, took a minute or two and then fired up. Try to turn the wall switch on other days, wait several minutes, nothing happens. Turn off the gas, relight the pilot light, flip the wall switch on and again it fires up after a minute or two. Then I still have the same problem on other days where it won't fire. After reading these posts, I had seen a little box under the fireplace so I pulled that out, it's a remote start which seems to work fine. Turns on turns off no problem. So I turned it on with the remote, flipped on the wall switch, turned off the remote and it stayed lit. Assuming there's a problem with the wiring in the wall switch? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old November 16th 15, 02:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Try bypassing the wall switch with a clip lead or by shorting out/connecting the two terminals at the switch. Spiders have been known to live inside switches, especially if they were idle for 2+ years.

Old November 16th 15, 01:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to BobK207, BobinMass wrote:
rkazanjy wrote:

Funny thing......I just went through a very similar process with our
gas log set today.
I tried to light the pilot & it would light but not stay lit
So.... I turned off everything.....the electrical switch on the log
set (my set doens't have a wall switch), the manual valve on the log
set to "off" postion and the recessed gas cock on the side of the
fireplace.
I did the start up process....open gas cock, turn manual valve to
"pilot" & depress, light pilot and hold knob in for ~2 minutes, turn
manual valve to "on".
Pliot stayed lit......flipped electrical switch to "on" and the log
set fired up & has stayed burning for a few hours so far.
I have no idea why the pilot wouldn't stay lit but turning everything
off seems to have fixed it. ????
Give the "total shutdown and wait a few minutes before a re-start"
a try.
cheers
Bob

Gas fire places are really simple. Usually with a wall switch there is a
short. Find the two wires going to the switch and cut them and connect
them. It's only 750 millivolts at best, so you are not going to
electrocute yourself! If that doesn't work, it's either the
thermocoupler or the oxygen thingie on the back/ I know that is not
very technical, but there is an oxygen sensor that makes sure you don't
die of carbon monoxide poison. Go to to Home Depot, Lowes, or Staples
and get a can of air. Find the hole and clean it out. I had a neighbor
who hadn't used his fireplace in a coupla years and he told me I saved him
$75 with a ten cent blast of air. Dust and soot get in there. Hope that
helps!

Old November 28th 15, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I jumped the terminals but as soon as I removed the paper lip the gas goes out?
Old November 28th 15, 05:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I jumped the terminals but as soon as I removed the paper lip the gas goes out?

Main valve is closing then when you remove jumper.(does not stay open)
You have thermostat on that FP?
Old November 28th 15, 05:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

No thermostat no wall control just the pilot button and thermo on the right side and the on off bad adjust for flames on the left side.