Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas fireplace won't start-up - pilot is lit

Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 4:34*pm, wrote:
Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. *I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. *I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. *I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. *Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. *I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. *Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

Funny thing......I just went through a very similar process with our
gas log set today.

I tried to light the pilot & it would light but not stay lit

So.... I turned off everything.....the electrical switch on the log
set (my set doens't have a wall switch), the manual valve on the log
set to "off" postion and the recessed gas cock on the side of the
fireplace.

I did the start up process....open gas cock, turn manual valve to
"pilot" & depress, light pilot and hold knob in for ~2 minutes, turn
manual valve to "on".

Pliot stayed lit......flipped electrical switch to "on" and the log
set fired up & has stayed burning for a few hours so far.

I have no idea why the pilot wouldn't stay lit but turning everything
off seems to have fixed it. ????

Give the "total shutdown and wait a few minutes before a re-start"
a try.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 6:34*pm, wrote:
Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. *I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. *I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. *I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. *Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. *I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. *Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

Does it have a thermocouple on the pilot a maybe 2" round metal piece
with a wire on it going to a gas valve, that might be bad I used a
propane torch to heat one up once, its probably a standard item even
some place like Sears might have for cheap. But I am guessing and dont
know if what I recomend is safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

First of all, need to know what kind of "fireplace" it is:
1. Direct vent or natural vent
2. Free standing, zero clearance or masonry insert
3. Vented or unvented gas log.
4. ODS or thermocouple/thermopile
The above combinations can be used in a number of ways.

Thermocouple/thermopile assemblies have 2 separate circuits powered by
the their respective devices.
Thermocouple = 20 millivolts (+/-)
Thermopile = 750 millivolts (+/-)
If the pilot lights and stays lit, the problem isn't with the pilot circuit.
If the main burner doesn't light, the problem is in the main burner circuit.
Some units have more than 1 switch controlling them.
The supplied switches on the units are notoriously unreliable.
The gas valve generally has connections for the main burner labeled TH,
TP, and TH/TP. The main burner is operated by a switch that makes a
circuit between the TH and TH/TP connections.
Is there a remote installed on the fireplace? If so, there is usually a
switch on it labeled on/remote/ off. If you move the switch to on and
the main burner lights, check the batteries in both the remote and the
receiver. If it doesn't light, check the other switches/controls
connected to the above connections.

The above procedure assumes the control valve is in the "ON" position
and not in "PILOT".
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
On Dec 24, 4:34 pm, wrote:
[...]

These gas log sets have to be cleaned every so often. Dust gets in the pilot
hole and the symptoms you describe happen.

I had two phone calls this week from people with gas fire places and heaters and
both had the same problem. DIRT!!!

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25 2008, 7:49*am, Tom Lachance wrote:
wrote:
[...]

and not in "PILOT".- Hide quoted text -

Happy new year to all!

I checked the fireplace and couldn't figure out the make - the card
that came with it says XDVR-38RMN, but I couldn't find anything based
on that description in my Google search. I did see a circuit diagram
that mentions Thermopile. It's a masonry insert.

The pilot does light easily and stays lit, so as you suggested, that's
not where the issue is. I did clean everything out and then tried to
get the fireplace going again to no avail... There is NO remote with
the fireplace - just the wall switch. I checked all the circuit
breakers and saw no issue there. When I flip the wall switch, nothing
happens. I don't smell gas when I flip the switch... Would a bad
thermopile result in these symptoms?

Appreciate any additional pointers you may be able to offer.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If the pilot is lit, make sure the gas valve control is in the "ON"
position. Check around the gas valve area for an "off/on" rocker switch.
If found, place it in the ON position. If the burner lights, the problem
is in the wiring to the wall switch.
There wouldn't be any issue with circuit breakers. The wall switch
connects only to the gas valve. If you have a VOM or a continuity
tester, disconnect the wires
Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to the gas valve, look for three terminals. One will be marked TH, one
TH-TP, and one TP. When the TH and the TH-TP are connected, the fire lights
if the gas valve is in the on position and you have a pilot. There is no
power here, so you can jump with a paper clip. But when you do *** THE FIRE
WILL COME ON ***, so be careful and be prepared. If it does light, then the
problem is in your wiring to the wall switch. If is does not come on, the
problem is in the gas valve. The wiring is the likely culprit.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Happy new year to all!
I checked the fireplace and couldn't figure out the make - the card
that came with it says XDVR-38RMN, but I couldn't find anything based
on that description in my Google search. I did see a circuit diagram
that mentions Thermopile. It's a masonry insert.
The pilot does light easily and stays lit, so as you suggested, that's
not where the issue is. I did clean everything out and then tried to
get the fireplace going again to no avail... There is NO remote with
the fireplace - just the wall switch. I checked all the circuit
breakers and saw no issue there. When I flip the wall switch, nothing
happens. I don't smell gas when I flip the switch... Would a bad
thermopile result in these symptoms?
Appreciate any additional pointers you may be able to offer.
Thanks!

I had the EXACT same problem. What appeared to be a good pilot was giving
me 540 millivolts at the terminals, but when I turned the valve from pilot
to on, the fireplace would not come on. A last ditch effort was to get a
new can of air, with the little straw that lets you direct the air. I
place the straw right into the two little holes on both sides of the
pilot, and blew them out.Next I blew out all of the holesin the burner,
just in case there was a spider nest. Lastly, I cleaned my tp terminals.
The resulting pilot light now looks more like an F-14 in zone 5
afterburner, shooting straight out, not out and up, and I could hear
little crackles like whatever had been blocking it were burning up now.
And when I turned the knob to on, I could hear the gas valve open. So it
works for another year!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The pilot light flame must hit the thermocouple correctly, or the voltage the thermocouple generates may not be enough to operate the main gas valve, while it is enough to keep the pilot light lit. Try adjusting the pilot light so that it more directly hits the thermocouple, check for clogged holes in the gas supply for the pilot as the previous poster found to be his problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tony Hwang , BobinDurham wrote:
dragon40 wrote:

Hi,
Main valve is controlled by 24V control voltage, not by thermocouple.
thermocouple's job is to keep the pilot on.

Maybe a thermocouple's....but a thermopile generates the energy to open
the gas valve. Once you turn the valve to pilot and ignite it, the pilot
is on. If the pilot blows out for some reason, the thermopile senses the
loss of heat and shuts the pilot valve down. Which is why if you turn the
pilot on, push the knob in and ignite it....and you don't let the
thermopile heat up enough? The pilot goes out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Happy new year to all!
I checked the fireplace and couldn't figure out the make - the card
that came with it says XDVR-38RMN, but I couldn't find anything based
on that description in my Google search. I did see a circuit diagram
that mentions Thermopile. It's a masonry insert.
The pilot does light easily and stays lit, so as you suggested, that's
not where the issue is. I did clean everything out and then tried to
get the fireplace going again to no avail... There is NO remote with
the fireplace - just the wall switch. I checked all the circuit
breakers and saw no issue there. When I flip the wall switch, nothing
happens. I don't smell gas when I flip the switch... Would a bad
thermopile result in these symptoms?
Appreciate any additional pointers you may be able to offer.
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. The paperclip trick worked for me, so I know its
not the gas valve. I then disconnected the wall switch and connected the
wires, it did not light.

So I assume from this the problem is the wiring between the switch and the
unit? That is a major bummer if true as all of this wiring is in the walls
and seems to be nailed to the studs as I can't pull it loose.

Open to any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

firelogs wrote:

Go to the gas valve, look for three terminals. One will be marked TH, one
TH-TP, and one TP. When the TH and the TH-TP are connected, the fire

lights
if the gas valve is in the on position and you have a pilot. There is no
power here, so you can jump with a paper clip. But when you do *** THE

FIRE
WILL COME ON ***, so be careful and be prepared. If it does light, then

the
problem is in your wiring to the wall switch. If is does not come on, the
problem is in the gas valve. The wiring is the likely culprit.

Paperclip test worked.

Put a meter between the two screws that were successful in the paperclip
test and reading was 260.

Any advice is appreciated from here. I tried to just manually connect the
two wires that were at the wall switch and that did not work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

If the FP has removable sealed glass front, there is a interlock switch.
Just like gas furnace has cover interlock switch. Checked that
switch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

firelogs wrote:

[...]

260 what? Volt DC, AC? Or Ohm reading?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2014 11:14 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
If the FP has removable sealed glass front, there is a interlock switch.
Just like gas furnace has cover interlock switch. Checked that
switch?

I worked on a natural gas fireplace, last year. The HO
kept insisting that I had to change the batteries. This
made no sense to me. I finally found a plastic box under
the FP which had four AA cell. Change the batteries, and
it came back to life.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

firelogs wrote:

[...]

Probably millivolts , since the OP mentioned a thermopile . I have a
customer down in Memphis that is having the same type of problem with a
floor furnace , but intermittent . He has whole-house forced air too so he's
not cold , but he leaves a crawl space door open a little so his cat can
shelter there . He worries about his pipes ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tony Hwang , greg wrote:
dragon40 wrote:

Hi,
If the FP has removable sealed glass front, there is a interlock switch.
Just like gas furnace has cover interlock switch. Checked that
switch?

no sealed glass front on this one. Its a normal box with a flu that I
open/close.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dragon40 wrote:

Hi,
260 what? Volt DC, AC? Or Ohm reading?

millivolts. It was 220 this morning. Tested the TP terminals. From what I
am gathering this means I need a new thermopile?

Posted to alt.home.repair

dragon40 wrote:

Hi, 260 what? Volt DC, AC? Or Ohm reading?

millivolts. It was 220 this morning. Tested the TP terminals. From what I
am gathering this means I need a new thermopile?

I would. Should be above 300 *at* the thermostat. Replacement is the
cheapest, quick fix/test option. Hopefully the gas valve is not on
its way out, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steve F. , greg wrote:
lost wrote:

I would. Should be above 300 *at* the thermostat. Replacement is the
cheapest, quick fix/test option. Hopefully the gas valve is not on
its way out, either.

Do you have a specific model or brand you recommend?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm dealing with a similar problem. Bought the house this summer, and got the pilot light lit when fall came. Flipped on the wall switch, took a minute or two and then fired up. Try to turn the wall switch on other days, wait several minutes, nothing happens. Turn off the gas, relight the pilot light, flip the wall switch on and again it fires up after a minute or two. Then I still have the same problem on other days where it won't fire. After reading these posts, I had seen a little box under the fireplace so I pulled that out, it's a remote start which seems to work fine. Turns on turns off no problem. So I turned it on with the remote, flipped on the wall switch, turned off the remote and it stayed lit. Assuming there's a problem with the wiring in the wall switch? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Try bypassing the wall switch with a clip lead or by shorting out/connecting the two terminals at the switch. Spiders have been known to live inside switches, especially if they were idle for 2+ years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to BobK207, BobinMass wrote:
rkazanjy wrote:

[...]

Gas fire places are really simple. Usually with a wall switch there is a
short. Find the two wires going to the switch and cut them and connect
them. It's only 750 millivolts at best, so you are not going to
electrocute yourself! If that doesn't work, it's either the
thermocoupler or the oxygen thingie on the back/ I know that is not
very technical, but there is an oxygen sensor that makes sure you don't
die of carbon monoxide poison. Go to to Home Depot, Lowes, or Staples
and get a can of air. Find the hole and clean it out. I had a neighbor
who hadn't used his fireplace in a coupla years and he told me I saved him
$75 with a ten cent blast of air. Dust and soot get in there. Hope that
helps!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I jumped the terminals but as soon as I removed the paper lip the gas goes out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

No thermostat no wall control just the pilot button and thermo on the right side and the on off bad adjust for flames on the left side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 7:34:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

If your pilot light is lit, but you can't get the logs to light it may be your micro switch. My switch was located near my igniter button. Just put your gas log switch (light switch) in the on position. Take the two wires off the micro switch and touch them together. If the gas logs light you have found your problem! Don't worry, touching the wires together will not give you a shock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 4:33 PM, wrote:
[...]

I'd check for a plugged orifice.
Or stuck solenoid, or whatever turns on the gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 18:39:02 -0800, mike wrote:

On 1/7/2016 4:33 PM, wrote:
[...]

Is it a millivolt system, or is there power involved?

I'm thinking control problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair
BP BP is offline

replying to funkdys, BP wrote:
funkdys wrote:

Hello all -
first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...
I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Merry Christmas!

I'm having a similar problem. Asking the forum for help with my
Heatilator natural gas fireplace. I went to start it up this year and I
could get the pilot lite but when I went to turn on the main wall switch,
nothing with the main burner. I went through all the trouble shooting and
the thermopile/pilot was borderline so I replaced the complete assembly.
The numbers are much better now but still the main burner won't trip on
when I flipped the switch. I also tried shorting the wires together
thinking the switch was bad but nothing. What voltage should the wall
switch have at it? I'm not sure what voltage the valve operates off of
and Heatilator support is no help.

Thoughts?

BP

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 10:25:46 PM UTC-6, mike wrote:
On 1/7/2016 4:33 PM, wrote:
[...]

I was going to comment on me having a plugged orifice one time while in the hospital but I bit my hand to keep myself from writing the post......Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Restrained Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2016 1:51 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 10:25:46 PM UTC-6, mike wrote:
I'd check for a plugged orifice.
Or stuck solenoid, or whatever turns on the gas.

I was going to comment on me having a plugged orifice one time while in the hospital but I bit my hand to keep myself from writing the post......Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Restrained Monster

I think it was Clare who wrote about having
control problems. Perhaps he needs to be in
a geriatric ward with you?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[...]