Old January 2nd 14, 01:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas fireplace won't start-up - pilot is lit

replying to Tony Hwang , BobinDurham wrote:
dragon40 wrote:

Hi,
Main valve is controlled by 24V control voltage, not by thermocouple.
thermocouple's job is to keep the pilot on.

Maybe a thermocouple's....but a thermopile generates the energy to open
the gas valve. Once you turn the valve to pilot and ignite it, the pilot
is on. If the pilot blows out for some reason, the thermopile senses the
loss of heat and shuts the pilot valve down. Which is why if you turn the
pilot on, push the knob in and ignite it....and you don't let the
thermopile heat up enough? The pilot goes out.

Old January 29th 14, 03:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to John Galbreath Jr., greg wrote:
firelogs wrote:

Go to the gas valve, look for three terminals. One will be marked TH, one
TH-TP, and one TP. When the TH and the TH-TP are connected, the fire

lights
if the gas valve is in the on position and you have a pilot. There is no
power here, so you can jump with a paper clip. But when you do *** THE

FIRE
WILL COME ON ***, so be careful and be prepared. If it does light, then

the
problem is in your wiring to the wall switch. If is does not come on, the
problem is in the gas valve. The wiring is the likely culprit.
wrote in message
Happy new year to all!
I checked the fireplace and couldn't figure out the make - the card
that came with it says XDVR-38RMN, but I couldn't find anything based
on that description in my Google search. I did see a circuit diagram
that mentions Thermopile. It's a masonry insert.
The pilot does light easily and stays lit, so as you suggested, that's
not where the issue is. I did clean everything out and then tried to
get the fireplace going again to no avail... There is NO remote with
the fireplace - just the wall switch. I checked all the circuit
breakers and saw no issue there. When I flip the wall switch, nothing
happens. I don't smell gas when I flip the switch... Would a bad
thermopile result in these symptoms?
Appreciate any additional pointers you may be able to offer.
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. The paperclip trick worked for me, so I know its
not the gas valve. I then disconnected the wall switch and connected the
wires, it did not light.

So I assume from this the problem is the wiring between the switch and the
unit? That is a major bummer if true as all of this wiring is in the walls
and seems to be nailed to the studs as I can't pull it loose.

Open to any suggestions.

Old January 29th 14, 03:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

firelogs wrote:

Go to the gas valve, look for three terminals. One will be marked TH, one
TH-TP, and one TP. When the TH and the TH-TP are connected, the fire

lights
if the gas valve is in the on position and you have a pilot. There is no
power here, so you can jump with a paper clip. But when you do *** THE

FIRE
WILL COME ON ***, so be careful and be prepared. If it does light, then

the
problem is in your wiring to the wall switch. If is does not come on, the
problem is in the gas valve. The wiring is the likely culprit.

Paperclip test worked.

Put a meter between the two screws that were successful in the paperclip
test and reading was 260.

Any advice is appreciated from here. I tried to just manually connect the
two wires that were at the wall switch and that did not work.

Old January 29th 14, 04:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

If the FP has removable sealed glass front, there is a interlock switch.
Just like gas furnace has cover interlock switch. Checked that
switch?

Old January 29th 14, 04:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

firelogs wrote:

[...]

260 what? Volt DC, AC? Or Ohm reading?
Old January 29th 14, 12:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2014 11:14 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
If the FP has removable sealed glass front, there is a interlock switch.
Just like gas furnace has cover interlock switch. Checked that
switch?

I worked on a natural gas fireplace, last year. The HO
kept insisting that I had to change the batteries. This
made no sense to me. I finally found a plastic box under
the FP which had four AA cell. Change the batteries, and
it came back to life.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old January 29th 14, 01:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

firelogs wrote:

[...]

Probably millivolts , since the OP mentioned a thermopile . I have a
customer down in Memphis that is having the same type of problem with a
floor furnace , but intermittent . He has whole-house forced air too so he's
not cold , but he leaves a crawl space door open a little so his cat can
shelter there . He worries about his pipes ...
--
Snag

Old January 29th 14, 02:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tony Hwang , greg wrote:
dragon40 wrote:

Hi,
If the FP has removable sealed glass front, there is a interlock switch.
Just like gas furnace has cover interlock switch. Checked that
switch?

no sealed glass front on this one. Its a normal box with a flu that I
open/close.

Old January 29th 14, 03:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dragon40 wrote:

Hi,
260 what? Volt DC, AC? Or Ohm reading?

millivolts. It was 220 this morning. Tested the TP terminals. From what I
am gathering this means I need a new thermopile?