Default Gas fireplace won't start

I have a gas fireplace that doesn't have a wall switch. It only has the
remote control on/off switch. The pilot light is always on, but when I
click the remote, the fireplace doesn't start. I've removed the grill
at the bottom and see that the red light on the remote box does blink
and making a clicking sound when I click the remote.

I've had someone tell me to check the wiring, but I don't know what to
check it with or how to check it. I'm sure I could fix it myself, if I
just knew where to start. Any help you can provide is greatly
appreciated!

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I've had someone tell me to check the wiring, but I don't know what to
check it with or how to check it. I'm sure I could fix it myself, if I
just knew where to start. Any help you can provide is greatly
appreciated!

The place to start is a basic course in electricity and the use of a VOM.

Dr. Hardcrab

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a gas fireplace that doesn't have a wall switch. It only has the
remote control on/off switch. The pilot light is always on, but when I
click the remote, the fireplace doesn't start. I've removed the grill
at the bottom and see that the red light on the remote box does blink
and making a clicking sound when I click the remote.

I've had someone tell me to check the wiring, but I don't know what to
check it with or how to check it. I'm sure I could fix it myself, if I
just knew where to start. Any help you can provide is greatly
appreciated!

May sound too simple, but have you checked the batteries in the remote?
Sometimes it will make the light flicker but there isn't enough "oomph" to
kick it in.

It's a cheap way to try something else.....

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought of that first too. New batteries
didn't do the trick. Too bad...

John F.

Is this a natural or propane gas fireplace? If it is propane you may have
air blockage in the fuel line from when the propane tank was filled last.
Also check for spider webs at orifice. If it has been unused for a while one
may have set up house. Be sure your fuel line valve is open.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a gas fireplace that doesn't have a wall switch. It only has the
remote control on/off switch. The pilot light is always on, but when I
click the remote, the fireplace doesn't start. I've removed the grill
at the bottom and see that the red light on the remote box does blink
and making a clicking sound when I click the remote.

I've had someone tell me to check the wiring, but I don't know what to
check it with or how to check it. I'm sure I could fix it myself, if I
just knew where to start. Any help you can provide is greatly
appreciated!

buffalobill

turn gas valve from pilot to on.

JimR

In my gas fireplace, the remote control sensor in the fireplace is operated
from a battery (9v). That battery does eventually discharge and need
replacement. In my case, the sensor battery is in an imitation pine cone
and is accessible from the bottom of the pine cone. (Maybe you've already
considered that, ref your comment about the "remote box.")

Try changing the battery in the sensor, if you haven't already.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a gas fireplace that doesn't have a wall switch. It only has the
remote control on/off switch. The pilot light is always on, but when I
click the remote, the fireplace doesn't start. I've removed the grill
at the bottom and see that the red light on the remote box does blink
and making a clicking sound when I click the remote.

I've had someone tell me to check the wiring, but I don't know what to
check it with or how to check it. I'm sure I could fix it myself, if I
just knew where to start. Any help you can provide is greatly
appreciated!

SHUDSON

I have a fireplace that won't start as well. (the Pilot won't light.)

It was running fine until last year when my 7 year old pulled out the
remote sensor (in order to use the manual shut-off) however as he
pulled it out, the fireplace shut-off and would'nt start again.
I thought the battery leads (from the 9V Cell) might have touched the
grill and shorted, but I don't know.

Anyway winter is coming again and my wife want's it fixed!

Any ideas?

Jim McLaughlin

Yeah.

Unless you are a licensed and highly trained tech, DON'T MESS WITH A GAS
APPLIANCE.

HIRE A COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL.

Its safer and cheaper in the longrun.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
news

Fireplace Woes Chris Walton UK diy 2 January 5th 05 10:38 PM
Suggestions on removing paint from INSIDE of a fireplace firebox? [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 4th 05 12:16 AM
Chimney / Fireplace Question [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 22nd 04 05:36 PM
Smokey Fireplace gmrules george Home Ownership 2 November 13th 04 02:13 AM
Problem with gas fireplace Mike Home Ownership 0 October 26th 04 03:37 AM