Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sub-panel rough-in options

Hi,

Can a sub-panel be installed in the ceiling between two ceiling joists
with breakers pointing down?

I'm also thinking of an alternative locations. I know that there is a
rule against installing subpanels in closets - but what counts as a
closet? I have a gigantic walk in closet that one can think of as a
small room. And I'm open to removing the door off of that closet (it's
in the basement). Would that be OK?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

Can a sub-panel be installed in the ceiling between two ceiling joists
with breakers pointing down?

I'm also thinking of an alternative locations. I know that there is a
rule against installing subpanels in closets - but what counts as a
closet? I have a gigantic walk in closet that one can think of as a
small room. And I'm open to removing the door off of that closet (it's
in the basement). Would that be OK?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

You can't install it in the ceiling. You can put it in a closet if there is
a clear 6.5 feet floor to ceiling space where it's installed, and adequate
working room in front of and around the panel, and the closet is dedicated
as an electric closet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

More importantly, one reason for such restrictions is what can happen
inside the panel in case of a major short in the house, or a
catastrophic power surge coming down the line. If there's one place
you don't want flying sparks, it's inside your roof.

Of course, it's also nice to be able to reach the breakers quickly if
something is sizzling.

Then you have the added fun of possibly shocking yourself while
standing on a chair/ladder...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-12-24, Aaron Fude wrote:

Can a sub-panel be installed in the ceiling between two ceiling
joists with breakers pointing down?

There is a maximum height for breakers, something like 6'7", so it
would to be a very low ceiling. There may be additional restrictions
that require it to be on a wall.

I'm also thinking of an alternative locations. I know that there is a
rule against installing subpanels in closets - but what counts as a
closet?

I believe the 2008 NEC clarified that the prohibition is on installing
a panel in a clothes closet. So if you don't store clothes in the
closet it would be OK. Or if you were to dedicate part of the closet
to the panel, perhaps with its own door, that might fly. You'd need
to be sure to maintain the proper working clearance around the panel,
I think it is 3' by 3' but am not sure.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

Can a sub-panel be installed in the ceiling between two ceiling joists
with breakers pointing down?

I'm also thinking of an alternative locations. I know that there is a
rule against installing subpanels in closets - but what counts as a
closet? I have a gigantic walk in closet that one can think of as a
small room. And I'm open to removing the door off of that closet (it's
in the basement). Would that be OK?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron the others gave you some good advice, but whenever I have a doubt
about something like that I call the electrical inspector to get
confirmation that it is okay. He will have the final say on whether it is
acceptable or not. Hopefully you got a permit for this work and can give
the inspector a call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On the other hand, if he did not get a permit, then it doesn't really
matter.

just a thought....

*Yes then he can follow the "Homeowners DIY Code" and let the next owner
worry about the code violations. That's good for my business.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

Aaron the others gave you some good advice, but whenever I have a doubt
about something like that I call the electrical inspector to get
confirmation that it is okay. He will have the final say on whether it
is acceptable or not. Hopefully you got a permit for this work and can
give the inspector a call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 9:58*pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
or perhaps he's like me, and does it properly and there won't be a next
homeowner.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
m...
On the other hand, if he did not get a permit, then it doesn't really
matter.

just a thought....

*Yes then he can follow the "Homeowners DIY Code" and let the next owner
worry about the code violations. *That's good for my business.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

Aaron the others gave you some good advice, but whenever I have a doubt
about something like that I call the electrical inspector to get
confirmation that it is okay. *He will have the final say on whether it
is acceptable or not. *Hopefully you got a permit for this work and can
give the inspector a call.- Hide quoted text -

Unless you know something that no one else in the world knows, there
will be another owner someday.
Posted to alt.home.repair

i know and several others know. it'll be torn down for subdividing and
development when we expire.

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

Unless you know something that no one else in the world knows, there
will be another owner someday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

Unless you know something that no one else in the world knows, there
will be another owner someday.

obviously you havent made the home nice enough

they wouldnt tear down a mansion........

of course if the economy doesnt impropve a broom closet might be a
desired home for many
Posted to alt.home.repair

it's a 137 yo farmhouse of no particular value. it's not a mansion. 1300
feet. no ornate wood work. Been down to studs for almost 3 years now. I'm
working on it. G Believe me, my boys do not want to live here. We love
it here though and will be here 'till the hearse comes. Then they can
develop the 80 acres and sit back.

steve