Posted to alt.home.repair
Shiva the Destroyer

Default Options on new panel, upgrading existing?

I have an older home, c. 1940, originally one family converted to two
c.1970, with a mix of old and new electrical service. The upstairs
apartment has circuit breakers and a newer panel. The downstairs
apartment still has threaded fuses.

One circuit in particular makes me crazy. A bedroom outlet and two
kitchen outlets are connected to socket five. Makes no sense to me,
but there it is.

Question: when I hire an electrician to swap out the old fusebox with a
circuit breaker box, can I also have that socket five circuit split
into separate circuits?

-R

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Shiva the Destroyer wrote:
I have an older home, c. 1940, originally one family converted to two
c.1970, with a mix of old and new electrical service. The upstairs
apartment has circuit breakers and a newer panel. The downstairs
apartment still has threaded fuses.

One circuit in particular makes me crazy. A bedroom outlet and two
kitchen outlets are connected to socket five. Makes no sense to me,
but there it is.

Question: when I hire an electrician to swap out the old fusebox with
a circuit breaker box, can I also have that socket five circuit split
into separate circuits?

-R

You can have anything done you can afford and that meets code.

However this one will require some new wires to be run. How much that
will cost will depend on your specific home. You can ask when you get the
estimate. I would suggest you have him take a look around and make
suggestions as to what you should upgrade. That would be one thing that I
would likely want upgraded. GFI on the kitchen and any bath or outside
outlets would be on the top of the list.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
wkearney99

Question: when I hire an electrician to swap out the old fusebox with a
circuit breaker box, can I also have that socket five circuit split
into separate circuits?

Depends on how the wire runs to the rooms. If the split for them is at the
box, sure you can have it easily setup on it's own circuit. But if the
split is further along in the rooms then you'll have to run new wire. It's
likely at least a few runs will need new wire as designers of older homes
had quite different expectations about electrical use.