Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Emergency power system for one perosn: Generator or batterysystem?

On Dec 25, 2:42�pm, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 05:43:10 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 25, 8:06?am, ransley wrote:
On Dec 23, 12:20?pm, " wrote:

On Dec 23, 1:17 pm, wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:20:12 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 23, 10:44?am, ransley wrote:
On Dec 22, 1:44?pm, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 07:07:48 -0600, "HeyBub"

I live in north Missouri where ice storms can readily
happen..... and knock power out

I also live alone and in rented duplex....so my needs
for power are smaller and require more portability than
others.

Having said that... I'm wondering if buying a small
Honda generator and 120 volt devices is better than say
getting jump start batteries and using them with 12volt
devices (lights, etc)

In addition to the other suggestions, you might consider a 12-120 Volt
inverter (and long extension cord) you can run off your car's electrical
system. What with gasoline being so cheap these days, and inverter may be
reasonable insurance.

But the car at idle will not produce full output - and a 130 Amo GM
alternator will burn out in about 1/2 hour at 100 amps - (most others
are not much better) - and the car will burn more gas producing that
1200 watts than a 5000 watt unit will at full load.- Hide quoted text -

An inverter I would be scared to use more than 5-10 minutes and not
even full load. At idle it wont do anything to help.- Hide quoted text -

well gee, check the amp specs of a modern vehicles alternator, likely
over 200 amps.

alternators must be designed to charge a dead battery to full charge,
so they must be rugged, espically when you drive around on a bad
battery for weeks before it finally dies

That is where you are wrong.
The alternator is NOT designed to charge a dead battery. It should be
- but in most cases it is not.

The bad battery you speak of does not usually TAKE a full charge
anyway.
The 135 amp unit used on virtually every GM truck, as well an most
cars from '88 to '95 (and possibly other years as well) was well known
for oveheating when asked to produce more than about 65 amps - to the
point there was a large aftermarket business installing modified "cool
case" conversions. The alternator is NOT built to produce anywhere
near full output on a steady basis..

a 1000 watt inverter isnt a big load. lots RVers use them constantly.
they arent dangerous- Hide quoted text -

todays alternators are usually rated around 200 amps- Hide quoted text -

Ratings, how about size and no cooling. I have little RC motors that
take 30a but will fry an egg and ment the windings. Have you looked at
the size of this stuff, wake up man output is windings, you make 1-200
a out of a gen that is 1/5 the size of old stuff that used to last
200000 miles, and it is just logic it runs real hot with no air or
even air. Then aftermarket is there in alternators since these million
watt stereos blow them out.- Hide quoted text -

nearly all electronics today are smaller, with higher output. I have
used my 1000 watt inverter many times, without a problem.

�But what load were you running, and for how long?
The 1000 watt inverter itself draws very little.. You could run it
'till the cows come home. �Load it to 1000 watts, so it draws 80 amps
and a 130 amp alternator (particularly the little GM job will be at
it's limit. And it won't be putting out even 80 amps at idle.

The fact is, using the automotive alternator, running your car engine
for emergency power is NOT an efficientor effective way to do things.- Hide quoted text -

its for EMERGENCIES, fuel is automatically stored onboard with no risk
or expense, just keep tank full........ Inverters have limits but are
dirt cheap.

RVers use inverters constantly
Posted to alt.home.repair

modern inverters have a long list of safety built in.

low voltage, high voltage, overheat all of these automatically shut
down the inverter and throw up a trouble code so you know what went
wrong
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Emergency power system for one perosn: Generator or batterysys...

In article ,
wrote:
On 22 Dec 2008 21:13:51 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Walmart now has closet lights that take D cells, and also camping
fluorescent lights that take D cells. Both are good light for summer
hurricanes. The 12 volt fans from the PC, a very good idea.

I have a 2 tube camping lantern that uses 4 D cells,runs 40hrs on one tube
or 20 on two. cost $12 about 4 yrs ago.

I also made up a 8 D cell battery pack with a 2.5mm power connector so it
can be used with either the closet fluorescent or the fans,as the alkalines
hold a charge for years.

Better yet a 3 stage 21 LED lantern that runs on4 d" cells for over
40 hours on high.. Cost me $9.

What's it called? and

Where'd you get it?

Thanks,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in
:

On 23 Dec 2008 13:21:16 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

wrote in
:

On 22 Dec 2008 21:13:51 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Walmart now has closet lights that take D cells, and also camping
fluorescent lights that take D cells. Both are good light for summer
hurricanes. The 12 volt fans from the PC, a very good idea.

I have a 2 tube camping lantern that uses 4 D cells,runs 40hrs on one
tube or 20 on two. cost $12 about 4 yrs ago.

I also made up a 8 D cell battery pack with a 2.5mm power connector so
it can be used with either the closet fluorescent or the fans,as the
alkalines hold a charge for years.
Better yet a 3 stage 21 LED lantern that runs on4 d" cells for over
40 hours on high.. Cost me $9.

I suspect my flourescent gives more light than your LED lantern.

Perhaps - but I'll look directly at your lantern. I will NOT look
directly at the LED lamp. The lantern may light SPACE better, but the
led throws a mean beam.

I use lanterns for room lighting and flashlights(LED) for spot lighting.
and I don't look AT my lantern,I look at what it's illuminating.
[like a book 8-) ]

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Shouldn't the led one last a lot longer, per battery or dollar or the like?

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

(David Combs) wrote in
:

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in
m:

[...]

sure the LED model will last longer,but the level of light is going to be
not as good as the fluorescent type.The LED model will let you get around a
room without bashing your shins,but I suspect you won't like reading a
book(or doing other tasks) with it.

LED lanterns can be found at Home Depot,Target,Wal-Mart,Lowes.
All of those places have a wide selection of battery-powered lights;
Target seems to have the best LED flashlight selection.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

When generator isn't an option (per subject line) then
batterysys (sic) are the only other optionsys.

LED do last longer. But generally they are a rather blue
light, and very short range. Fluorescents are crisp clean
white, and also short range. The old filament bulbs are good
if you want to see something at a distance, like a racoon in
a tree. The Mag LED flash lights tend to be crisp white
light, and also good for distance. I have a couple 3D Mag
lights, and very pleased with them.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

sure the LED model will last longer,but the level of light
is going to be
not as good as the fluorescent type.The LED model will let
you get around a
room without bashing your shins,but I suspect you won't like
reading a
book(or doing other tasks) with it.

LED lanterns can be found at Home
Depot,Target,Wal-Mart,Lowes.
All of those places have a wide selection of battery-powered
lights;
Target seems to have the best LED flashlight selection.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Emergency battery light

Lanterns are great for lighting up a room. Hung from a hook
in the ceiling, or placed on a high shelf. The early
pioneeers put kerosene oil lamps up high, on a shelf with a
miror behind them. Very wise people.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I use lanterns for room lighting and flashlights(LED) for
spot lighting.
and I don't look AT my lantern,I look at what it's
illuminating.
[like a book 8-) ]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

When generator isn't an option (per subject line) then
batterysys (sic) are the only other optionsys.

LED do last longer. But generally they are a rather blue
light, and very short range. Fluorescents are crisp clean
white, and also short range. The old filament bulbs are good
if you want to see something at a distance, like a racoon in
a tree. The Mag LED flash lights tend to be crisp white
light, and also good for distance. I have a couple 3D Mag
lights, and very pleased with them.

I have a RayoVac 1W 2AA flashlight($18) that throws a nice bright beam,is
rugged,nicely built,and compact.I was in Target yesterday,and they had a
couple of nice 1 and 2 watt LED flashlights that ran on 2 AA,one using 2 C
cells.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
When generator isn't an option (per subject line) then
batterysys (sic) are the only other optionsys.

LED do last longer. But generally they are a rather blue
light, and very short range.

Unless that blue is absorbed by the atmosphere more than other
colors, range should be the same as with any other visible-light
light.

However, range can be MUCH improved by forming the light
towards a pencil-beam -- easy IF it comes with a maglight-type
narrow-wide twisting-front.

I've got such a thing (costco), and distance is fine, as long
as narrowed-down.

Also, re reading by led-light, I bought (costco again) a
"head-lamp" (straps onto head, shines fwd like a miner's light),
and it is SUPER for read in the movie theater during that 20
or more minutes of ads for other movies, etc.

(Except, amazingly, I've been angryly (sp?) asked (told) to
turn it off during that -- some people LIKE the damn things!
Takes all kinds, I guess.)

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Emergency power (and types of lights)

Many LED lights have a very poor reflector system, and are
wide beam, short range.

Mag's official brand of LED light is presently available in
2D through 4D battery sizes. I bought a couple on sale. They
are very bright, and crisp white light. The beam reaches a
good far distance. I like them.

As to head light in the theatre, I would't personally be
upset with someone reading during the prelude. I am upset by
people with cell phones during the show itself.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus