Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Emergency power system for one perosn: Generator or battery system?

wrote in message

But would a 1000 watt Honda unit suffice? Its abt all I
could afford right now..... and also have good
portability

Maybe a mix of BOTH would work best? The generator for
bigger devices and 12 volt jump battery for lighting,
etc?

1000 watts (8.3 amps) will run any refrigerator, freezer, but probably not a
furnace or boiler. Plenty of room for lighting, TV, cable box, computer,
and the like. If all you need is a reading light, batteries are OK. I have
a couple of kerosene lamps, but they can be a danger with pets or kids. In
my life, I've only ever had one power failure of any length, about 30 hours
after a hurricane. Given that record I've not justified a generator.