Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumbing air pressure test

I am adding a walk-in shower with rainshower head mounted from ceiling, 4
body sprays mounted in the wall, a handheld body wand, an exact temp
control valve, and 3 volume control valves . I have 3/4" pex supply lines
to temp valve, then 1/2" copper to control valves,then 1/2" pex to
respective sprays. I have capped everything, and applied an air gauge. I
placed 85 psi of air. In a period of appx. 40 hours, the pressure has
dropped to 75 psi. Does this indicate a leak, or is this an acceptable
loss attributed to tempature fluctuation or some other variable? What is
generaly accepted as a succesful test?(time/pressure)
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

When you consider all the variables involved, then, I think you have a
valid test and that you can expect the system not to leak. Remember that
air leaks a lot more easily than water.

EJ in NJ

scottpepsi wrote:
I am adding a walk-in shower with rainshower head mounted from ceiling, 4
body sprays mounted in the wall, a handheld body wand, an exact temp
control valve, and 3 volume control valves . I have 3/4" pex supply lines
to temp valve, then 1/2" copper to control valves,then 1/2" pex to
respective sprays. I have capped everything, and applied an air gauge. I
placed 85 psi of air. In a period of appx. 40 hours, the pressure has
dropped to 75 psi. Does this indicate a leak, or is this an acceptable
loss attributed to tempature fluctuation or some other variable? What is
generaly accepted as a succesful test?(time/pressure)
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

"scottpepsi" wrote in message
om...

I am adding a walk-in shower with rainshower head mounted from ceiling, 4
body sprays mounted in the wall, a handheld body wand, an exact temp
control valve, and 3 volume control valves . I have 3/4" pex supply lines
to temp valve, then 1/2" copper to control valves,then 1/2" pex to
respective sprays. I have capped everything, and applied an air gauge. I
placed 85 psi of air. In a period of appx. 40 hours, the pressure has
dropped to 75 psi. Does this indicate a leak, or is this an acceptable
loss attributed to tempature fluctuation or some other variable? What is
generaly accepted as a succesful test?(time/pressure)
-------------------------------------

It does indicate a leak, but it does not necessarily indicate a water leak,
nor does it rule it out either.

I would fill the system with water and try the pressure test again. I think
that they only use pressure tests on gas lines and those are about 15 PSI
for 24hrs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"scottpepsi" wrote in
message
om...

[...]

Yep, I was wondering abut that. I've never heard of an air pressure
test on water lines although I suppose it could be a good indicator. I
just did propane line. Code is 15 for 12 around here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 3:13*pm, "JC" wrote:
"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"scottpepsi" wrote in
message
. com...

[...]

just did propane line. Code is 15 for 12 around here.- Hide quoted text -

They pressure test water lines here. I think the pressure has to hold
for 48 hrs. I know because I was here when my neighbors house was
built. It flunked the test 3 times, BAD GUAGE.
What I dont understand id that it can leak some and still pass the
test. I dont remember what the requirements were but it didnt make
sense to me that it was OK for it to leak down any at all.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Steve Barker"
wrote:

actually the gas line test is 15 psi for 10 minutes.

Does it matter if it's natural gas or propane?

[snip]

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

nope. except that if it's propane, the propane co. will usually test it for
you before they hook up.

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
In article , "Steve Barker"
wrote:

actually the gas line test is 15 psi for 10 minutes.

Does it matter if it's natural gas or propane?

[snip]

--
charles

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
What I dont understand id that it can leak some and still pass the
test. I dont remember what the requirements were but it didnt make
sense to me that it was OK for it to leak down any at all.

Molecules in air are smaller than water molecules, thus air can leak where
water will not. Just as air can pass through a plastic storage bag. That
is why you get freezer burn after a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Dec 21, 3:13 pm, "JC" wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Same in my area. They pressure test it for at least 48 hours in new
build houses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"scottpepsi" wrote in message
om...

I am adding a walk-in shower with rainshower head mounted from ceiling, 4
body sprays mounted in the wall, a handheld body wand, an exact temp
control valve, and 3 volume control valves . I have 3/4" pex supply lines
to temp valve, then 1/2" copper to control valves,then 1/2" pex to
respective sprays. I have capped everything, and applied an air gauge. I
placed 85 psi of air. In a period of appx. 40 hours, the pressure has
dropped to 75 psi. Does this indicate a leak, or is this an acceptable
loss attributed to tempature fluctuation or some other variable? What is
generaly accepted as a succesful test?(time/pressure)

Get out a spray bottle of soap water (dish detergent in water or windex) and
spray the joints and fittings, valves, etc. while the pipes are air pressurized.
You will find the leak, fix it, then try the test again. If there are no air
leaks, there should be no water leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

[...]

Incidentially, I air tested my pipes when I replumbed, and was glad I did. It is
a lot easier to re-solder joints before you put water in them.