Posted to alt.home.repair
JC[_2_] JC[_2_] is offline

Default plumbing air pressure test

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"scottpepsi" wrote in
message
om...

I am adding a walk-in shower with rainshower head mounted from
ceiling, 4
body sprays mounted in the wall, a handheld body wand, an exact
temp
control valve, and 3 volume control valves . I have 3/4" pex supply
lines
to temp valve, then 1/2" copper to control valves,then 1/2" pex to
respective sprays. I have capped everything, and applied an air
gauge. I
placed 85 psi of air. In a period of appx. 40 hours, the pressure
has
dropped to 75 psi. Does this indicate a leak, or is this an
acceptable
loss attributed to tempature fluctuation or some other variable?
What is
generaly accepted as a succesful test?(time/pressure)
-------------------------------------

It does indicate a leak, but it does not necessarily indicate a
water leak,
nor does it rule it out either.

I would fill the system with water and try the pressure test again.
I think
that they only use pressure tests on gas lines and those are about
15 PSI
for 24hrs.

Yep, I was wondering abut that. I've never heard of an air pressure
test on water lines although I suppose it could be a good indicator. I
just did propane line. Code is 15 for 12 around here.