Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default plumbing air pressure test

JIMMIE wrote:
On Dec 21, 3:13 pm, "JC" wrote:
"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"scottpepsi" wrote in
message
om...
I am adding a walk-in shower with rainshower head mounted from
ceiling, 4
body sprays mounted in the wall, a handheld body wand, an exact
temp
control valve, and 3 volume control valves . I have 3/4" pex supply
lines
to temp valve, then 1/2" copper to control valves,then 1/2" pex to
respective sprays. I have capped everything, and applied an air
gauge. I
placed 85 psi of air. In a period of appx. 40 hours, the pressure
has
dropped to 75 psi. Does this indicate a leak, or is this an
acceptable
loss attributed to tempature fluctuation or some other variable?
What is
generaly accepted as a succesful test?(time/pressure)
-------------------------------------
It does indicate a leak, but it does not necessarily indicate a
water leak,
nor does it rule it out either.
I would fill the system with water and try the pressure test again.
I think
that they only use pressure tests on gas lines and those are about
15 PSI
for 24hrs.

Yep, I was wondering abut that. I've never heard of an air pressure
test on water lines although I suppose it could be a good indicator. I
just did propane line. Code is 15 for 12 around here.- Hide quoted text -

They pressure test water lines here. I think the pressure has to hold
for 48 hrs. I know because I was here when my neighbors house was
built. It flunked the test 3 times, BAD GUAGE.
What I dont understand id that it can leak some and still pass the
test. I dont remember what the requirements were but it didnt make
sense to me that it was OK for it to leak down any at all.

Jimmie

Hi,
Same in my area. They pressure test it for at least 48 hours in new
build houses.