Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HOA says no pickup trucks in driveway

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:07:59 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"Scott" wrote

I wouldn't be happy if my neighbors were trailer trash, but they're not.
also wouldn't be happy with neighbors who NEEDED to have an HOA FORCING
them
to act like decent neighbors...mine manage to do it all on their own. I
like that.

Same here. No HOA and none needed. Local Neighborhood association (not the
same but serves us well) to help out folks. 100% voluntary.

When I asked to see the HOA rules and accouonting sheet, I saw that
15% of the people were not paying the required monthly dues. Some
owed over $3400. I guess if enough people decide not to pay, the HOA
would be gone. But its best to look elsewhere to buy a house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 07:42:34 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

"[FLORIDA] The board of directors representing The Eagles, a deed
restricted community in Odessa, was trying to keep A.J. Vizzi from
parking his Ford pickup truck in his home's driveway. HOA rules state
all trucks must be parked in a garage."

Judge renders declaratory judgment in favor of truck owner, says HOA is
insane and must pay about $100,000 in legal fees. Take drug test.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/mostpop/story.aspx?

storyid=96159&provider=top

I wanted to add my bit on Home Associations as I just finished a battle
to get our street exempt from a newly forming Association. Here are some
facts if you are interested. Keep in mind that these facts may change
from state to state.

When you are buying a home the realtor pretty much tells you anything to
get you to buy. We had a situation that the realtors were telling buyers
that the HA was defunct. When closing came, There were unpaid dues and
they had to be settled before the closing could continue. Most HA will
enter a lean on a home for unpaid dues but will wait for the sale of the
house to collect. Always check with a title company to make sure there is/
is not a HA involved with your home.

Most HA have to be registered with the Secretary of State. You can check
online to see if they are current.

When fighting with a HA the one thing to remember is that very few
homeowners attend meetings. They are too busy to attend most of the time.
If your going to fight with them make sure you attend the meetings and
then go visit your neighbors and get a proxy vote for those that will not
be attending. We did this and the look on the association when voting was
priceless. We stopped them dead and forced them (by vote) to do things
our way.

You should be current on what the bylaws/covenants are. Especially the
Operating laws of the Association.

Just remember that an association's main purpose is to protect the
property value of your home. Most laws are guilded towards that purpose.
Examples a No trucks over a certain weight parked on properties,
Decorations and house color options, Swimming pools, ect..

Personally, I dont care at all for associations. Anyone can pretty much
obtain the same benefits by keeping a good relation with your neighbors.

For the most part, Once you buy a home in a HA you are locked in until
you sell the home. Your pretty much not going to get out unless you find
some circumstances like - The HA let their Sect. of State yearly
paperwork slide and get dissolved by the state.

DF

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:38:19 -0500, mm
wrote:

[snip]

I finally solved the problem, at the HOA meeting. I suggested he get
a plain white -- his truck was white -- magnetic sheet, and cover the
writing on the doors when he got home at night. It was so stupid. I
wanted to tell the complainers how stupid I thought it was, but hey, I
have to live near these people.

Most of them do something much stupider...

[snip]