Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I strained my back - OUCH

I was doing a bunch of landscaping in my back yard yesterday. Digging,
trenching, fixing sprinkler lines, back filling. When I was doing it I did
not feel a thing, it was during the end of the day when I was basically on
my knee trying to wrestle with a really stubborn leak for a long time when I
tried to stand up to turn on the pump to test it I had a hard time standing
up!

My lower back hurts like hell.

I don't know if it's a strain, or I pulled something. The pain is in the
lower back. It's real painful when I try to get up, or sit down, or lay
down, or lean over to reach something low. Once I am in a fixed position
there is no pain, it's when I try to change position.

I wonder if it may be the wheel barrow? I shoveled a lot of soil into it and
moved it to a pile, a few times it's so heavy the wheel barrow tilted and I
have to right it.

I got some BENGAY and applied that to my back last night, no improvements.

So I went to bed early last night and this morning when I woke up the pain
is still there when I tried to get up, although not as intense. I remember
having muscle ache before when I did hard physical work, but usually the
next day when I woke up I am ok. Not this time. I still have trouble
getting up and sitting down, or bend over my upper body to wash my face or
brush my teeth.

I am wondering if it's possible to tell whether I over strained my muscles
or pulled something. If I need to go see a doctor what kind should I go see?

Also will any medication help with this? I already tried BENGAY and that
gave me some mild cooling sensation and did not really do anything
constructive.

Should I lay down and let it heal or is there something I can do to help it
along? Should I stretch a little?

I know this is not a medical group but I thought this may be a common
occurrence with DIYers I might ask here for practical information.

Thanks for any information you may have to share..

Ouch! DGDevin Woodworking 0 September 2nd 08 01:29 AM
ouch! Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 5 October 22nd 06 06:49 PM
Musing why we are mum about Maxi's (long & strained) Arch Woodturning 21 May 25th 06 01:37 PM
OT - OUCH!! Mark and Kim Smith Woodworking 8 February 14th 05 06:31 PM
OUCH! Silvan Woodworking 18 January 15th 04 01:17 PM