Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I strained my back - OUCH

I was doing a bunch of landscaping in my back yard yesterday. Digging,
trenching, fixing sprinkler lines, back filling. When I was doing it I did
not feel a thing, it was during the end of the day when I was basically on
my knee trying to wrestle with a really stubborn leak for a long time when I
tried to stand up to turn on the pump to test it I had a hard time standing
up!

My lower back hurts like hell.

I don't know if it's a strain, or I pulled something. The pain is in the
lower back. It's real painful when I try to get up, or sit down, or lay
down, or lean over to reach something low. Once I am in a fixed position
there is no pain, it's when I try to change position.

I wonder if it may be the wheel barrow? I shoveled a lot of soil into it and
moved it to a pile, a few times it's so heavy the wheel barrow tilted and I
have to right it.

I got some BENGAY and applied that to my back last night, no improvements.

So I went to bed early last night and this morning when I woke up the pain
is still there when I tried to get up, although not as intense. I remember
having muscle ache before when I did hard physical work, but usually the
next day when I woke up I am ok. Not this time. I still have trouble
getting up and sitting down, or bend over my upper body to wash my face or
brush my teeth.

I am wondering if it's possible to tell whether I over strained my muscles
or pulled something. If I need to go see a doctor what kind should I go see?

Also will any medication help with this? I already tried BENGAY and that
gave me some mild cooling sensation and did not really do anything
constructive.

Should I lay down and let it heal or is there something I can do to help it
along? Should I stretch a little?

I know this is not a medical group but I thought this may be a common
occurrence with DIYers I might ask here for practical information.

Thanks for any information you may have to share..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

First 48 hours use only ice. After that go to alternating ice and heat
packs.

There really is not set rule on how long to rest but too much rest can be
just as bad a straining. I'd give it a few weeks with no heavy lifting. then

Tylenol or Ibuprofen (which ever works best for you) is recommended too. If
it's real bad go to your doctor. They can prescribe muscle relaxers (Soma)
that can literally work miracles.

As far as stretching goes; the rule is nothing that will irritate your back
further. So be careful. There are some lower back stretches you can find on
the internet (or in your doctors office) that you do laying on the floor
that can be helpful but take it easy. You don't want to irritate the
situation.

My back pain comes from my hamstrings so when I have pain I stretch my legs
so it's hard to tell exactly what type of stretches are helpful unless you
go to a physical therapist.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in
:

[...]

Well MC, **** happens...good ****, bad ****, but **** always happens.

We all have "back" stories. It could be anything from "You ain't 25 no
more" and just gotta rest it out to a bulged disk ready to bust or a
pinched nerve ready to cripple you in another millimeter. It would not be
wise for anyone to give you a diagnosis or remedy. An MD, not
chiropractor, is best suited.

Sincerely hope you get it straightened out with as little discomfort
possible in the shortest amount of time in a safe manner.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:52:18 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

[...]

Get yourself a Chiropractor RIGHT now, don't wait 12 days after you
have to crawl to the toilet in pain.

Call now and go. See if you have insurance coverage...

I collapsed in a drive way one day, wanted to tough if out and
suffered more days than cared to.

That injury still flares up now and then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

Get yourself a Chiropractor RIGHT now, don't wait 12 days after you
have to crawl to the toilet in pain.

Oren, the reason why I'd not recommend that as first step, is without
knowing more, a chiro can in some cases unwittingly do more damage than
cure.

I dont know if all chiros are MD's. I just know mine is. He works with my
spine surgeon to help defer surgical level needs as long as possible for
people like me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
"Oren" wrote

Get yourself a Chiropractor RIGHT now, don't wait 12 days after you
have to crawl to the toilet in pain.

Oren, the reason why I'd not recommend that as first step, is without
knowing more, a chiro can in some cases unwittingly do more damage
than cure.

I dont know if all chiros are MD's. I just know mine is. He works
with my spine surgeon to help defer surgical level needs as long as
possible for people like me.

Chiropractors are NOT MDs. The fundamental theory behind chirpractic is that
all or most human maladies are the result of pressure on nerves, usually
caused by misalignment of the spine. By first putting you under an X-ray
machine until you glow in the dark, a chiropractor will "manipulate" your
spine until your bee-bite, pancreatic cancer, or dandruff is cured.

The human body has remarkable regenerative powers. Interestingly, the length
of time required for the body to heal both with and without chiropractic
intervention is the same. The chiropractor may, however, make you feel a bit
better, but a visit to a "massage parlor" is cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote
cshenk wrote:

I dont know if all chiros are MD's. I just know mine is. He works

Chiropractors are NOT MDs. The fundamental theory behind chirpractic is
that

*some* are. Mine is. He's not cheap either but insurance for now pays the
bill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:12:20 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

cshenk wrote:
"Oren" wrote

[...]

In legitimate instances a massage parlor may be adjacent the
chiropractor's office, next door and be covered by medical insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Chiropractors are NOT MDs. The fundamental theory behind chirpractic is
that all or most human maladies are the result of pressure on nerves,
usually caused by misalignment of the spine. By first putting you under an
X-ray machine until you glow in the dark, a chiropractor will "manipulate"
your spine until your bee-bite, pancreatic cancer, or dandruff is cured.

The human body has remarkable regenerative powers. Interestingly, the
length of time required for the body to heal both with and without
chiropractic intervention is the same. The chiropractor may, however, make
you feel a bit better, but a visit to a "massage parlor" is cheaper.

Depends on the problem. I've been to a chiropractor for some problems and
had pretty much instant relief. I'm talking about a stiff neck or
sacroiliac dislocation. One good push works faster than muscle relaxers. I
don't go there for heart problems, cancer, pneumonia, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

Lackanookie would be another. Refer that to Oren's post :-)

Subject: I strained my back - OUCH
From: Oren

In legitimate instances a massage parlor may be adjacent the
chiropractor's office, next door and be covered by medical insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 8:12*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
cshenk wrote:
"Oren" wrote

[...]

Damage often cant be seen by xray, mine couldnt even by the best, and
the chiropractor told my he might make it worse and he did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

On Dec 15, 8:12 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

cshenk wrote:

"Oren" wrote

[...]

Good reason for having a family physician who doesn't proceed without a
fairly certain diagnosis. I've
known all kinds of chiro's, and there are some real
loonies.........worked on an insurance issue for six
year old girl treated for over a year by chiro for a bladder infection.
He was doing spinal adjustments.
The mother was a regular, too, and they both went for chiro adjustments
three times a week, costing
thousands (20 years ago). The mom wrote a multi-page letter of appeal
to the insurance company,
and it was like a textbook description of clinical depression.

Of course, every specialty is capable of having loonie practitioners and
some who make pretty bad mistakaes.
I took my son to the MD for hives once......doc said he was allergic to
pseudoephedrine and prescribed
something for the hives. Took the script to the drug store and I was
fairly sure the new med. had
pseudoephedrine, so I asked the pharmacist. It did. Didn't fill it.
Didn't go back tothat MD.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noahbuddy" wrote in message
"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

cshenk wrote:
"Oren" wrote

[...]

This is misinformation.

On July 4, this year, I flipped a 496# atv over backwards on me as we both
went barrel rolling down a steep hill. It folded me over, and the hard case
on the back of the atv saved me from being killed or paralyzed.

I had a 1 cm crush fracture to the L1. That's like putting a beer can on
end, and stomping it half an inch shorter. Two weeks later, I could bend at
the waist and pick up my car keys from the doctor's office floor when he
asked me how I was doing. I asked my chiropractor right after the accident
about coming in and that spinal decompression thing. He said come on down.
I don't do anything without checking first with my treating MD, and he said
don't let the chiropractor touch me for six months. He said as long as I
was doing so well, he would suggest NOT going to the chiropractor. We
decided not to have the cement balloon thing, as there were more risks than
benefits, as I was progressing so well.

I've had no chiropractic, and no physical therapy. I get around good, and
except for the pain, not a lot of symptoms. Chiropractors are not the
answer to everything, and I can see why MDs talk about them as quacks. Some
of them are. And everyone does recover at a different rate, some of it
physical, some mental, and some of it is dumb luck.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"Noahbuddy" wrote in message
"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

cshenk wrote:
"Oren" wrote

[...]

I've had back problems literally all my life but nothing compared to your
agony. Good luck with that dude.

Chiropractors seem to be getting better and more doctors are accepting the
benefits of manipulation. My HMO in NM used to cover chiropractor visits in
their clinics. But you had to have a MD's referral/

Your accident is a good example of the need to get good x-rays examined by a
competent Osteopath before letting a Chiropractor do his thing. IMHO

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
"Oren" wrote

Get yourself a Chiropractor RIGHT now, don't wait 12 days after you
have to crawl to the toilet in pain.

Oren, the reason why I'd not recommend that as first step, is without
knowing more, a chiro can in some cases unwittingly do more damage than
cure.

That is a good point. But when I got my first compressed vertebrae,
my Chiropractor told me what it was without seeing an x-ray and told
me there was nothing he could do for me except tell me to see a
Orthopedic Surgeon.

I dont know if all chiros are MD's. I just know mine is.
He works with my spine surgeon to help defer surgical level
needs as long as possible for people like me.

That is what all Chiropractors are supposed to do. But some
are quacks.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"Oren" wrote

Get yourself a Chiropractor RIGHT now, don't wait 12 days after you
have to crawl to the toilet in pain.

Oren, the reason why I'd not recommend that as first step, is without
knowing more, a chiro can in some cases unwittingly do more damage
than cure.

I dont know if all chiros are MD's. I just know mine is. He works
with my spine surgeon to help defer surgical level needs as long as
possible for people like me.

a chiro can in some cases unwittingly do more damage
than cure.

This is EXACTLY why I said in my post not a chiro. I didwant to so into
stories but here's the short version. Back messed up so bad I had to walk
hunched over. Roll over in bed, even though almost impossible to fall
asleep, and wake in tears. I go to chiro for first time. He does the
xrays, twisting, crunching, stupid wires with tingle pulses and all. Not
getting better. Got the msg from my body via pain that something is wrong
so now is the time for pain meds. Says he doesn't give pain meds. Screw
this. Go to neuro doctor. Turns out I had a bulged disk ready to
bust...and this ****ing asshole is beating on it. Never again. Never
recommend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"Oren" wrote

[...]

And here's "The rest of the story":

As Mortimer Schnerd, RN sais in his post:

Back problems fall in the overlap between neurosurgery and orthopedic
surgery.
Any practitioner worth a damn will be...
very reluctant to schedule any surgery.

I did end up going to a neurosurgeon. She says no surgery without full test
results. Had X-rays, tests, CT scan (or something like it), etc., etc.
Went back for results and plan consultation.

Try and picture this. She's a neurosurgeon originally from Bayone NJ so you
can fill in the accent and vernacular. She has large frame for woman but
nor really fat. She says no surgery. I'm like OK so then what? She has a
skirt on. Crosses her legs with meaty thigh somewhat raised. Says to me
"You and I have the same problem." Whacks her thigh and says, "I got a fat
ass and I gotta live with it. You got a bad back and gotta live with it." I
says lady your alright in my book for not dancing around things. At least
now I have some concrete direction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I did end up going to a neurosurgeon. She says no surgery without full test
results. Had X-rays, tests, CT scan (or something like it), etc., etc.
Went back for results and plan consultation.

Try and picture this. She's a neurosurgeon originally from Bayone NJ so you
can fill in the accent and vernacular. She has large frame for woman but
nor really fat. She says no surgery. I'm like OK so then what? She has a
skirt on. Crosses her legs with meaty thigh somewhat raised. Says to me
"You and I have the same problem." Whacks her thigh and says, "I got a fat
ass and I gotta live with it. You got a bad back and gotta live with it." I
says lady your alright in my book for not dancing around things. At least
now I have some concrete direction.

You can probably pick any diagnosis you wish to from a medical text and
be able to find a surgeon who
will perform surgery for it. Unfortunately, back surgery (along with
tonsillectomies, hysterectomies, etc.)
were once done far too often. When I last worked, 12 years ago, many
surgeons would not even discuss
disc surgery (unless certain neuropathy was present) without a course of
physical therapy. Lots of
studies show that far too many disc surgeries not only did not improve
pain or function but caused it to
worsen. Obesity and lack of conditioning have a great deal to do with
back problems and surgery
outcomes.

Last I paid attention, about 30% of live births were by c-section.
Criminal. Often done just for
convenience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote

Try and picture this. She's a neurosurgeon originally from Bayone NJ so
you
can fill in the accent and vernacular. She has large frame for woman but
nor really fat. She says no surgery. I'm like OK so then what? She has a
skirt on. Crosses her legs with meaty thigh somewhat raised. Says to me
"You and I have the same problem." Whacks her thigh and says, "I got a fat
ass and I gotta live with it. You got a bad back and gotta live with it."
says lady your alright in my book for not dancing around things. At least
now I have some concrete direction.

LOL! My kinda Doc! She's right too. I doubt the fellow has more than
muscular strain but some of us others (as you can see from the size of the
thread, OT as it may be) can give some basics.

Mortimer will agree with this:

General rules, specifics may vary in some cases.

-Use a chiro your Doc recommends.
-If any numbness, tingling, or 'it feels asleep or half asleep' see a Doc
before a Chiro.
-Numbness and/or tingling in groin especially if urination is difficult,
emergency room.
-Pain is how your body says something is wrong. Do not stretch if it hurts.
-If stretching hurts, have a Doc evaluate it if serious pain and dont do
that again til then

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Try and picture this. She's a neurosurgeon originally from Bayone NJ
so you can fill in the accent and vernacular. She has large frame for
woman but nor really fat. She says no surgery. I'm like OK so then
what? She has a skirt on. Crosses her legs with meaty thigh somewhat
raised. Says to me "You and I have the same problem." Whacks her
thigh and says, "I got a fat ass and I gotta live with it. You got a
bad back and gotta live with it." I says lady your alright in my book
for not dancing around things. At least now I have some concrete
direction.

You gotta admire docs that are real people.

I visited my internist shortly after the current pope's election. Knowing my
doctor was of Vietnamese extraction, I asked if he was Catholic - I was
going to congratulate him on his church's new Pontiff.

His answer:

"Depends on the girl I'm dating at the time."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Get yourself a Chiropractor RIGHT now, don't wait 12 days
after you have to crawl to the toilet in pain.

Excellent advice.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That injury still flares up now and then.- Hide quoted text -

Any Smart Chiropractor will tell you up front he might make it worse,
dont do this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote

My lower back hurts like hell.

We arent MD's as you know but I've seen 2 good posts with advice, both
valid. I will add a bit here.

I don't know if it's a strain, or I pulled something. The pain is in the
lower back. It's real painful when I try to get up, or sit down, or lay
down, or lean over to reach something low. Once I am in a fixed position
there is no pain, it's when I try to change position.

So moving hurts, but not staying still? That to me means you have a
muscular strain, possibly fairly bad, but no real 'damage'. Worse ones hurt
and the muscles go into spasms when sitting quietly.

I got some BENGAY and applied that to my back last night, no improvements.

It takes longer, also normally you want something a bit cold (I use a
treatment called 'icy-hot' which stimulates blood flow a bit to the area but
feels cool and wierdly a little warming at the same time. Similar to
bengay, but not the same.

Those products do not truely 'heal' but make it more comfortable for a bit.

So I went to bed early last night and this morning when I woke up the pain
is still there when I tried to get up, although not as intense. I remember
having muscle ache before when I did hard physical work, but usually the
next day when I woke up I am ok. Not this time. I still have trouble
getting up and sitting down, or bend over my upper body to wash my face or
brush my teeth.

Smile, the smart answer is don't do things that hurt for a bit. Ease
yourself up and dont lean over too far when brushing teeth or washing face
(Not required, brace with other arm when needed to with toothbrushing etc
for that littler lean).

This doesnt take several weeks to get over if it's just strained muscles.
However, you can easily *re-strain* them again is you push it too early and
a re-strained muscle not fully healed and in the back, can cause fairly
unpleasant things later.

If strained muscles, you will feel almost picture perfect in 4-5 days,
possibly 7 if worse strained than you think. If at 7 days you feel the same
pretty much, you need to see a Doctor. In the interum, do not lift over 25
lbs or so (and not even that if you have a choice) and dont do anything that
requires you 'twist and lift' at all no matter how light the object. Its
just a week, you can work with that.

I am wondering if it's possible to tell whether I over strained my muscles
or pulled something. If I need to go see a doctor what kind should I go
see?

You didnt list pains down the leg or any tingling/numbness in the foot, nor
do you appear to have spasms in the back (or it would hurt even resting).
If you do however have any of that, see a Doc now please. Also, *not* a
Chiropracter before a Doc if tingling and numbness of foot or leg.

Also will any medication help with this? I already tried BENGAY and that
gave me some mild cooling sensation and did not really do anything
constructive.

Smile time.

Should I lay down and let it heal or is there something I can do to help
it along? Should I stretch a little?

Time and relax as much as possible but best to move about as well. Say, sit
50 watching TV then putter about 10 mins, then rest again. That would be
best. I wouldnt try to stretch at all.

I know this is not a medical group but I thought this may be a common
occurrence with DIYers I might ask here for practical information.

No problem. A few OT posts to help our fellows out isnt a bad thing.

My own experience in this is *not* the same as yours. I have fairly severe
back problems with 3 herniated discs and 2 more now 'nominal'. You seem to
have muscle strain but here's one warning too: If you have numbness in the
groin developing then start to have trouble urinating, go the the emergency
room NOW. There is a particular type of disc damage in lower back that
requires immediate surgery or it can be very dangerous with a life
expectancy measured in hours if not treated. I mention that just as a
precaution as I'd hazard a chance of that and what you have relayed to be
about zero ;-) But if you've been guy-shy on listing a symptom or 2....
Dont wait til morning. Go NOW.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:47:52 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

Dont wait til morning. Go NOW

Chiropractors were called quacks one time. Today insurance has it
covered. Check the policy.

Go see or call the MD or Chiropractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

Dont wait til morning. Go NOW

Oren, you deleted the important part of where the symptoms mean doc NOW.
Its extremely unlikely he has any of that numb genital region and hard to
urinate, but that is NOT a time for a chiro.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 21:57:33 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"Oren" wrote

Dont wait til morning. Go NOW

Oren, you deleted the important part of where the symptoms mean doc NOW.
Its extremely unlikely he has any of that numb genital region and hard to
urinate, but that is NOT a time for a chiro.

Oh! I mentioned that I collapsed in a drive way. What I did not say
was it was only 15 minutes after the incident.

It took me 12 days to go for help an stop being foolish.

It hurt when I had too crawl and take care of business. Insurance
covered the Chiropractor. Damn was I relieved.

Folks have to pick their poison.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Noahbuddy wrote:

MDs will load you up on Meds. MDs did nothing for me.
A Chiro fixed my problems.

I'm very sorry to read that. I've had 14 surgeries in the
last 5-1/2 years. Without being loaded up on meds, I don't
think I could have taken the pain of half of them.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Noahbuddy wrote:

MDs will load you up on Meds. MDs did nothing for me.
A Chiro fixed my problems.

I'm very sorry to read that. I've had 14 surgeries in the
last 5-1/2 years. Without being loaded up on meds, I don't
think I could have taken the pain of half of them.

Dick

Most of the anti drug crusaders haven't experienced the 12 level of pain on
a scale of 1 to 10.

Ask anyone in the kidney stone club. Or someone who has had a major major
injury or surgery.

I take about 400 doses of meds per month, about 100 of those are pain meds.
Some days I take none, and some days, I take four or five.

I'm not going to suffer when there is relief. I don't take them to alter my
mood or get goofy.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Noahbuddy wrote:

MDs will load you up on Meds. MDs did nothing for me.
A Chiro fixed my problems.

I'm very sorry to read that. I've had 14 surgeries in the
last 5-1/2 years. Without being loaded up on meds, I don't
think I could have taken the pain of half of them.

Dick

Most of the anti drug crusaders haven't experienced the 12 level of
pain on a scale of 1 to 10.

Ask anyone in the kidney stone club.

I have not had that luxury but I heard someone describe it as: To you it
looks like a tiny pea. To me it's a bowling ball covered in barbed wire.

Or someone who has had a major
major injury or surgery.

I take about 400 doses of meds per month, about 100 of those are pain
meds. Some days I take none, and some days, I take four or five.

I'm not going to suffer when there is relief. I don't take them to
alter my mood or get goofy.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
I take about 400 doses of meds per month, about 100 of those are pain meds.
Some days I take none, and some days, I take four or five.

I'm not going to suffer when there is relief. I don't take them to alter my
mood or get goofy.

That is a ****load of medication. What happened to you that requires all of
that? (I'm not suggesting it's not required; just wondering why.)

I myself was in a plane crash back in the late 80's, suffered an incomplete
amputation of one arm (reattached) and crushed a hip. I went through a period
of using a lot of pain meds, then nothing at all for a very long time; then by
the early 2000s I was using an ungodly amount of NSAIDs. I finally got the
crushed hip replaced. Getting rid of the bad hip fixed most of my ongoing
problems with low back pain (caused by lurching when I walked). Today I'm not
on any medication at all. Nothing. I consider myself very fortunate.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:46:31 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Noahbuddy wrote:

MDs will load you up on Meds. MDs did nothing for me.
A Chiro fixed my problems.

I'm very sorry to read that. I've had 14 surgeries in the
last 5-1/2 years. Without being loaded up on meds, I don't
think I could have taken the pain of half of them.

Dick

Most of the anti drug crusaders haven't experienced the 12 level of pain on
a scale of 1 to 10.

Ask anyone in the kidney stone club. Or someone who has had a major major
injury or surgery.

I take about 400 doses of meds per month, about 100 of those are pain meds.
Some days I take none, and some days, I take four or five.

I'm not going to suffer when there is relief. I don't take them to alter my
mood or get goofy.

Steve

All of the prescription pain medication I've taken (after joint
surgery, back pain, etc.) made me sicker than a dog, then vomit. I
prefer heating pads, ice pack, and Chi Gong to deal with the pain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Noahbuddy wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:47:52 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

Dont wait til morning. Go NOW

Chiropractors were called quacks one time. Today insurance has it
covered. Check the policy.

Go see or call the MD or Chiropractor.

MDs will load you up on Meds. MDs did nothing for me. A Chiro fixed my
problems.

And either one is capable of "curing" a back strain in 6-8 weeks, which
coincides with the normal
time for tissue to heal )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" writes:

My lower back hurts like hell.

Been there, done that...

Think about seeing a Dr.
I always found muscle relaxants helped a lot,
at least temporarily.

My back hurt like you describe for many years.
I went thru the x-rays, etc, nothing helped permanently.

Then when I was about 55 I built a deck and patio,
something like what you did to hurt yourself in the first place.
About a month and a half of hard labor.
No pain since then.

Also, my feet hurt. Running cured that.
I could have sworn I would not be able to run.

You're going to get a lot of anecdotal stories,
none of them (including mine) should be considered sound
advice.

I read somewhere that when back pain was scientifically
studied, they found that most back pain goes away without
explanation.

My own conviction is, if you are not already in good shape,
getting in shape is a good cure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

In addition to what most others have said, I'd like to add that a special
type of bandage may be of help. I don't know the exact name, but it looks
like a corset! You velcro yourself into the thing and it's main purpose, I
believe, is to prevent you from aggravating the condition by limiting your
range of movement. Swaddling yourself in about two miles of elastic bandage
may be a substitute.

Your family doctor is the one to see - that is, a GP, Family Practice, or
Internist. What you experienced is common and any physician has seen the
exact same thing a zillion times - we're not talking cerebral malaria here.
The proper treatement, I believe, is rest, muscle relaxants, and pain
killers. The latter two items are available only from a physician (or
friendly dentist).

Herbs, homeopathic remedies, vitamins, will be worthless (with the possible
exception of caspacian).

Posted to alt.home.repair

most back pain goes away over 4 to 6 weeks on its own, read where over
90% of everyone has occasional back pain.

hurting some is a good sign you got a work out, dont panic take it
easy for a week, just normal activities and you will likely be fine
till the next big job comes along

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

[...]

It's amazing how much you use certain muscles but don't notice until
they hurt. I can't tell you what to
do, other than see a doc if you feel the need. Especially if you have
pain radiating down one leg. A
family doc should be able to treat or refer if he/she sees the need.
I'm a retired industrial nurse, so
have given first aid for lots of back strain. If someone had a rather
sudden or severe strain, I would
ice it and recommend they use ice for the first 24 hours. Pretty much
like an ankle strain. I've had back
strains a couple of times that were painful for several weeks, once
after lifting a friend's mother who
was in a wheel chair. Use antiinflam. if you can tolerate - ibuprofen.
A lot of docs feel Tylenol is better
because it seems to have a muscle relaxing effect. Naproxen is good A
firm mattress usually gives more relief for sore
back. To get out of bed, it is better if you turn onto your side facing
the edge of the bed, let your
feet off the edge of the bed as you raise up onto elbow and then to
sitting. Start using heating pad
after 24 hours. Hot shower with water running onto back or, better yet,
hot bath (provided you can
get in and out of tub safely). From the amount of work you did you
certainly qualify for a sore back.

I've had pretty painful muscle spasm in my back and neck; both resolved
quickly. When I hurt my neck,
is was sort of a freak whiplash. Didn't want to go to ER so I folded a
towel and wrapped it
around my neck to use as a neck brace. Spasms quit after about 12
hours; sore for a week or two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

[...]

Last time I threw out my back, it was a long time healing. I tried ice,
massage, chiropractors to the tune of over $1000 worth, exercising, not
exercising, you name it. I was eating ibuprofen like candy for months.
Four of 'em every couple of hours some days.

Girlfriend was in the bookstore of all places and picked up a package
containing a tiny little book and a couple of soft rubber balls about
the size of a softball. Went by the name "Miracle Balls."

No ****. This thing fixed me 100% within five days. Used it for ten
minutes or so three times a day. Damned amazing. $20. Absolutely no
affiliation, just an impressed and very, very grateful customer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 6:52*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

Ive had back problems all my life at points so serious I could not
move for 7-10 days, dont go see a chiropractor first. Every injury is
different, so there is no one right thing but if you can get on with
everyday stuff that is best, sitting can make it worse. Muscles are
the only thing protecting your lower spine and neck, that is why it
got injured. Muscle relaxents can help if used early, pain meds can
allow you to use it and hurt it more. If you can walk, go out and walk
swimming helps many. Remember things heal, it may take years, or only
weeks if its a muscle. You are not bedridden hating the pain of just
getting up, so just dont do anything that hurts, but sitting all day
can make it worse. Get a pros advise but dont rush anything. My back
could go out so moving at all was near impossible, but the injury was
such that rowing across the lake made it all better. But without
knowing your issue it could most likely put you in the hospital as
could a chiropractor, xrays cant see muscle damage or all injuries,
other scans can. Go for a swim it usualy helps
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

[...]

Good advice for a chronic problem that is being treated. When the
problem is acute and from
overuse, then rest is best. If pain doesn't improve significantly in
2-3 days, I'd see an MD
for sure. Also, if pain radiates one should see MD ASAP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Back problems not not unusual. Usually it will heal slowly, maybe a
month. You can use moist heating pads to help reduce the muscle
tension. Do back exercises, but stop when it hurts. You range of
motion will get better with each day of stretching. Doctors will
only take your money. Good Luck.

Ouch! DGDevin Woodworking 0 September 2nd 08 01:29 AM
ouch! Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 5 October 22nd 06 06:49 PM
Musing why we are mum about Maxi's (long & strained) Arch Woodturning 21 May 25th 06 01:37 PM
OT - OUCH!! Mark and Kim Smith Woodworking 8 February 14th 05 06:31 PM
OUCH! Silvan Woodworking 18 January 15th 04 01:17 PM