Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

Default Circular saw maintenance

My dad gave me an old Black & Decker circular saw and I want to make
sure that it is properly lubricated, etc. The instructions (which he
gave me as well) just saw to bring it to a Black & Decker dealer. Can
anyone give me instructions to follow at home?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ben" wrote in message

My dad gave me an old Black & Decker circular saw and I want to make
sure that it is properly lubricated, etc. The instructions (which he
gave me as well) just saw to bring it to a Black & Decker dealer. Can
anyone give me instructions to follow at home?

Depending on its age, you may be able to find a maintenance
manual on line, where you can look for lubrication instructions.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ben wrote:
My dad gave me an old Black & Decker circular saw and I want to make
sure that it is properly lubricated, etc. The instructions (which he
gave me as well) just saw to bring it to a Black & Decker dealer. Can
anyone give me instructions to follow at home?

Thanks!

Throw it away and buy a Skil 77 Mag.

If that is not an option, find the oil fill hole and fill it with 90
weight hypoid gear oil available at any auto parts store or spend more
money and buy the same oil branded for use in a an electric saw.

Others may have a different take, but that is mine and it works for me.

--
I may not understand what you say, but I will defend to your death my
right to deny it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 4:02*pm, Ben wrote:
My dad gave me an old Black & Decker circular saw and I want to make
sure that it is properly lubricated, etc. *The instructions (which he
gave me as well) just saw to bring it to a Black & Decker dealer. *Can
anyone give me instructions to follow at home?

Thanks!

I have an older Rockwell with bearing grease caps, but most saws are
sealed, remove the brushes to see how much life is left, maybe motor
bearings could be oiled if they are not sealed. There isnt much to
maintain, the power cord would be first to replace if its real old and
cracked or worn.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:57:01 -0800, Jack
wrote:

Ben wrote:
My dad gave me an old Black & Decker circular saw and I want to make
sure that it is properly lubricated, etc. The instructions (which he
gave me as well) just saw to bring it to a Black & Decker dealer. Can
anyone give me instructions to follow at home?

Thanks!

Throw it away and buy a Skil 77 Mag.

Why do ridicule his father's present? Did people ridiulce your
father's presents to you, or yours to your children?

If that is not an option, find the oil fill hole and fill it with 90
weight hypoid gear oil available at any auto parts store or spend more
money and buy the same oil branded for use in a an electric saw.

Others may have a different take, but that is mine and it works for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:02:37 -0800 (PST), Ben
wrote:

My dad gave me an old Black & Decker circular saw and I want to make
sure that it is properly lubricated, etc. The instructions (which he
gave me as well) just saw to bring it to a Black & Decker dealer. Can
anyone give me instructions to follow at home?

Thanks!

How often do you think you will use the saw? If it's not going to be
very often and it seems to be working ok now then don't worry about
it. If it starts making "bearing" noises, then take it to BD shop and
have them replace the bearings if you want to keep the saw. Also,
the saw your dad gave you, if it's an old one, may be quite heavy
compared to a new one so again, you have to weigh the trade offs and
amount of use. I had a circ saw that seemed to need bearings and I
had it serviced for $25 (this was 15 years ago) and when I got it back
it still sounded like it needed bearings. I bought a new $50 one and
it's been fine for the last 15 years of occasional use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My dad gave me an old Black & Decker circular saw and I want to make
sure that it is properly lubricated, etc. The instructions (which he
gave me as well) just saw to bring it to a Black & Decker dealer. Can
anyone give me instructions to follow at home?

If it's an important keep-sake, you might be better off not trying to
disassembling it to perform maintenance. Actually, if it's important,
you might be better off not even using it.

I have several tools that I got from my father. I just keep them clean
and functional, but don't actually use them. Too many memories with
them to take a chance harming them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ben wrote:
My dad gave me an old Black & Decker circular saw and I want to make
sure that it is properly lubricated, etc. The instructions (which he
gave me as well) just saw to bring it to a Black & Decker dealer. Can
anyone give me instructions to follow at home?

Thanks!

I also have old B&D saw inherited from my father. It must be over 30
years old and I've had it maybe 25 years. I see no way to oil or
maintain it and have used it numerous times. All I've ever done was buy
new blades.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ben wrote:
My dad gave me an old Black & Decker circular saw and I want to make
sure that it is properly lubricated, etc. The instructions (which he
gave me as well) just saw to bring it to a Black & Decker dealer. Can
anyone give me instructions to follow at home?

Thanks!

Throw it away and buy a Skil 77 Mag.

Why do ridicule his father's present? Did people ridiulce your
father's presents to you, or yours to your children?
If that is not an option, find the oil fill hole and fill it with 90
weight hypoid gear oil available at any auto parts store or spend more
money and buy the same oil branded for use in a an electric saw.

Others may have a different take, but that is mine and it works for me.

I treasure the few tools of my father's that I ended up with. At garage
sales, when I see twins to to tools I used in childhood (ie, a
red-handle Yankee ratchet screwdriver, or a Stanley miter box), I snap
them up, if the price is decent. Will I ever use them much? Not as long
as my modern tools keep working. But it pleases me to have them around.
And if the power ever goes off for good, well, these old tools will
still work fine.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

My dad gave me an old Black & Decker circular saw and I want to make
sure that it is properly lubricated, etc. The instructions (which he
gave me as well) just saw to bring it to a Black & Decker dealer. Can
anyone give me instructions to follow at home?

Thanks!

Blow out the sawdust (a blow gun works well) and wipe down the unit
with a rag dampened with kerosene or mineral spirits. Remove any
built up gunk with an old toothbrush. Remove the blade, clean it (you
can use a strong detergent or oven cleaner), and get it sharpened or
replaced. Sometimes a special wrench is needed and the arbor may be a
left-handed thread. Check the brushes for excessive wear and replace
them if needed (it may be difficult to find replacements for an old
saw). Check the saw, safety features and cord for damage or wear. Use
lubricant/grease as recommended by the manufacturer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 10:56*am, Phisherman wrote:
[...]

My local non-big box hardware store has a drawer of electric motor
brushes. If I can't find the right size brush, I get the next bigger
size and sand it down to the correct size. Seems to work fine for
me. Jus throw the sandpaper out after using it, the carbon from the
brushes gets into everything and is difficult to remove, even though
the sandpaper is still sharp.

lawn maintenance? nobody Home Repair 18 October 7th 07 05:18 AM
TS maintenance foggytown Woodworking 8 November 11th 06 06:49 AM
Does A/C need maintenance? toller Home Repair 50 April 18th 05 01:12 PM
Furnace Maintenance? Dave Home Repair 30 October 9th 04 08:19 PM
Home maintenance vs. condo maintenance Jeff Bello Home Repair 7 May 26th 04 02:40 PM