Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circular saw maintenance

On Dec 14, 10:56*am, Phisherman wrote:
My dad gave me an old Black & Decker circular saw and I want to make
sure that it is properly lubricated, etc. *The instructions (which he
gave me as well) just saw to bring it to a Black & Decker dealer. *Can
anyone give me instructions to follow at home?

Thanks!

Blow out the sawdust (a blow gun works well) and wipe down the unit
with a rag dampened with kerosene or mineral spirits. *Remove any
built up gunk with an old toothbrush. *Remove the blade, clean it (you
can use a strong detergent or oven cleaner), and get it sharpened or
replaced. *Sometimes a special wrench is needed and the arbor may be a
left-handed thread. * Check the brushes for excessive wear and replace
them if needed (it may be difficult to find replacements for an old
saw). *Check the saw, safety features and cord for damage or wear. Use
lubricant/grease as recommended by the manufacturer.

My local non-big box hardware store has a drawer of electric motor
brushes. If I can't find the right size brush, I get the next bigger
size and sand it down to the correct size. Seems to work fine for
me. Jus throw the sandpaper out after using it, the carbon from the
brushes gets into everything and is difficult to remove, even though
the sandpaper is still sharp.