Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Ivy from Wood Siding

We've pulled most of it off, and have just the remnants of the suckers. This
stuff essentially began to grow IN to the wood. The house was painted a few
years ago, but will need it again soon. What's the best way to get this
residue off?

And, is there a better way to get the living ivy off, that might leave less
residue? All we did was pull it from the bottom, then scrape the residue
with a steel scraper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cybercat wrote:
We've pulled most of it off, and have just the remnants of the
suckers. This stuff essentially began to grow IN to the wood. The
house was painted a few years ago, but will need it again soon.
What's the best way to get this residue off?

And, is there a better way to get the living ivy off, that might
leave less residue? All we did was pull it from the bottom, then
scrape the residue with a steel scraper.

We've had the best luck killing the stuff first with Roundup.

I think as ivy dies, it withers a bit and is easier to pull off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cybercat wrote:

We've pulled most of it off, and have just the remnants of the suckers. This
stuff essentially began to grow IN to the wood. The house was painted a few
years ago, but will need it again soon. What's the best way to get this
residue off?

And, is there a better way to get the living ivy off, that might leave less
residue? All we did was pull it from the bottom, then scrape the residue
with a steel scraper.

It also grows into mortar. With sufficient care, you can probably torch
the dry tendrils and finish
up by scraping or sanding.

I would cut the ivy at the ground, when growing season arrives. Then
hit new sprouts when
they have two or three leaves, with Roundup. It takes persistance, but
you can (and should)
get rid of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cybercat" wrote in
:

We've pulled most of it off, and have just the remnants of the
suckers. This stuff essentially began to grow IN to the wood. The
house was painted a few years ago, but will need it again soon. What's
the best way to get this residue off?

And, is there a better way to get the living ivy off, that might leave
less residue? All we did was pull it from the bottom, then scrape the
residue with a steel scraper.

I fought with that one. Fortunate part was house was to be repainted and
siding was textured. Pull, scrape, wire brush, brush, whatever. No magic
bullet.

It had also grown into the screens and attached to metal frame windows.
Screening was just replaced. Found when I got it good and wet on metal
frames and siding, it came off easier with scrubbing.

So, try wetting it so it's saturated a bit.