Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Removing Ivy from Wood Siding

cybercat wrote:

We've pulled most of it off, and have just the remnants of the suckers. This
stuff essentially began to grow IN to the wood. The house was painted a few
years ago, but will need it again soon. What's the best way to get this
residue off?

And, is there a better way to get the living ivy off, that might leave less
residue? All we did was pull it from the bottom, then scrape the residue
with a steel scraper.

It also grows into mortar. With sufficient care, you can probably torch
the dry tendrils and finish
up by scraping or sanding.

I would cut the ivy at the ground, when growing season arrives. Then
hit new sprouts when
they have two or three leaves, with Roundup. It takes persistance, but
you can (and should)
get rid of it.