Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable Electric Heaters

Any recommendations on portable electric heaters? Like something that
can heat a 500 sq ft work room.

Cheers,
Steven
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 3:41*pm, BlinnPR wrote:
Any recommendations on portable electric heaters? Like something that
can heat a 500 sq ft work room.

Cheers,
Steven

Just keep in mind most portable space heaters are 1500 watts. Which if
you do the 10W per sq foot rule should be plenty for your
requirements. They make fan forced models, to the oil filled radiator
models, it's your preference.
Also these heaters use about 12.75 amps at full load which means make
sure the outlet can handle it. Preferably a dedicated outlet or an
outlet on a 20A breaker. A 15 A breaker would work so as long as your
not using anything else that would trip the breaker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 4:07*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Dec 1, 3:41*pm, BlinnPR wrote:

Any recommendations on portable electric heaters? Like something that
can heat a 500 sq ft work room.

Cheers,
Steven

Just keep in mind most portable space heaters are 1500 watts. Which if
you do the 10W per sq foot rule should be plenty for your
requirements. They make fan forced models, to the oil filled radiator
models, it's your preference.
Also these heaters use about 12.75 amps at full load which means make
sure the outlet can handle it. Preferably *a dedicated outlet or an
outlet on a 20A breaker. A 15 A breaker would work so as long as your
not using anything else that would trip the breaker.

I have a 1500 watt fan forced heater that I use in my shop and garage
on occasion. I've often wonder how expensive these are to run.

I always picture money flying out of my window whenever I turn it on
for a few hours. Am I being rediculous?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 3:41 pm, BlinnPR wrote:

[...]

Electric costs vary sharply by where you live but the US average per KWH is
8.83 cents. Your 1500 watt heater would cost around 13 cents an hour to run
assuming you're paying average rates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sharp Dressed Man" wrote in message
Electric costs vary sharply by where you live but the US average per KWH
is 8.83 cents. Your 1500 watt heater would cost around 13 cents an hour to
run assuming you're paying average rates.

I live in one of those sharply variable rates and pay 18¢ a kW so it would
cost me 27¢ an hour to operate. Not bad if you need it a couple of hours a
week, but if you need it for hours a day it can be very expensive.

As for the OP, what is the temperature of the work room when unheated? If
you are just taking the chill off, it may be OK. If it is unheated in a
northern climate, it would be laughable to turn it on. My detached
partially insulated garage has about a 30 degree rise with 30,000 Btu.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just keep in mind most portable space heaters are 1500 watts. Which if
you do the 10W per sq foot rule should be plenty for your
requirements.

My mistake. At 500 sq ft, you need at least 5000W of heat. A 1500W
space heater is not going to cut it.

You need to look at something with fossil fuel ( gas,oil, propane), or
a 220V heat source which depending on your utility rates could be
expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 2:41*pm, BlinnPR wrote:
Any recommendations on portable electric heaters? Like something that
can heat a 500 sq ft work room.

Cheers,
Steven

Nobody knows where you are, how cold it is, or how well insulated the
place is. Radiant Quarts heaters heat objects , not the air, so if you
are in one general area it will heat you
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 19:34:23 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

Just keep in mind most portable space heaters are 1500 watts. Which if
you do the 10W per sq foot rule should be plenty for your
requirements.

My mistake. At 500 sq ft, you need at least 5000W of heat. A 1500W
space heater is not going to cut it.

5000 will maintain the heat- but in my garage I like to go out when
the ambient is 20 and bring it to at least 50 degrees in a half hour
or so. Add a little breeze, and my 50000btu torpedo heater is
barely enough.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Utilities have different prices for electricity. You can likely find on your
power bill the price per kilowatt hour. If my math is correct, figure 1 1/2
times the KWH price, every hour. So, if you're paying 20 cents, figure 30
cents an hour to run the heater. That KWH nets you about 5,000 BTU.

A gas grill tank and infared heater could be a lot less expensive. Near me,
propane is about a buck a pound if you bring the tank in for refil. A pound
is 21,500 BTU if memory serves.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I have a 1500 watt fan forced heater that I use in my shop and garage
on occasion. I've often wonder how expensive these are to run.

I always picture money flying out of my window whenever I turn it on
for a few hours. Am I being rediculous?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I have a 1500 watt fan forced heater that I use in my shop and garage
on occasion. I've often wonder how expensive these are to run.

I always picture money flying out of my window whenever I turn it on
for a few hours. Am I being rediculous?

1.5x the price? you figure 30c hr. Take the bill amount divided by
kwh use. At your figure thats .20c kwh, and I dont think its that high
anywhere in the lower 50 for 1500w, or is it that high im at 0.14 kwh
the heater would cost me 0.22 cents an hr, and gas would be 1/2 the
price for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 3:41*pm, BlinnPR wrote:
Any recommendations on portable electric heaters? Like something that
can heat a 500 sq ft work room.

Cheers,
Steven

They all produce the same heat per watt. The ones with fans will
heat up a little faster and will distribute the heat a little better,
the ones without fans will take a little longer to warm up at the
start and will cool down slower. I fan types tend to be a little
cheaper and they tend to not last as long.

Electric Heaters Propane Heater Home Repair 0 May 5th 08 04:42 PM
Any remote control portable electric heaters? [email protected] Home Ownership 6 October 14th 06 03:23 PM
Electric Heaters Dottie Home Ownership 1 October 4th 06 07:35 PM
Electric Heaters Alec UK diy 22 December 13th 05 07:22 PM
Portable Electric Heaters - Which is better? [email protected] Home Repair 5 January 24th 05 02:53 PM